The Voice 4

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by intrinsical, Mar 17, 2013.

1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Now that the blind auditions are over, I think Team Adam is the one to watch this season. Out of all the singers that caught my ears, most of them are on his team.

2. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still just being chosen for one of these shows means that they have entertained more people then anyone I ever met with the possible exception of Jody Watley who was two years ahead of me in school.
    I stop watching after the blind auditions

3. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Yes, I am very much Team Adam this year, with the possible exception of the last singer that Usher claimed last night. (I won't know anyone's name until the battle rounds).

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

All of the teams have people to watch. Shakira probably has the weakest on average, but she has some gems too that will almost certainly go the distance.

5. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I noticed that Amy Whitcomb's audition wasn't really shown, just a short clip of her choosing her coach (I don't even remember which one now). I wondered how intrinsical feels about that. :lol:

6. intrinsical

Only one coach, Adam, turned around for her so yeah she's in the super team. I'm a little bummed that they didn't show her blind audition, but I remembered they also did the same thing to Cassadee Pope's battle round. So I'm hoping that the producers did it intentionally in order to showcase her later. Besides, there's always this...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXRRNVS6bYI[/yt]

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they short-changed Cassadee Pope's battle round because they didn't know what they had in her. She didn't take off until she sang Over You. Sort of like how no one thought much about Dia Frampton until she reached the live round.

The montages are still annoying. They won't even show the full performance on their website or YouTube channel. It short-changes the artist, especially when the iTunes version of the song is usually of a lesser quality than their performances on the show (just listen to how screwed up Terry McDermott's studio recording is for Carry On Wayward Son).

8. intrinsical

I was already impressed with Cassadee when she sang Torn in the blind audition. That''s why I remembered her battle round got snipped as I had wanted to hear her performance. By the end of last season's battle round, Cassadee was already in my top 3 together with Amanda Brown and Trevin Hunte. Admittedly, I placed her in third place until she sang Over You.

9. Venardhi

This is just a guess, but I suspect many of the short-changed performances have to do with song rights.

I don't know about the rest of the audience, but I tune in just to see the performances. This season seems to be even worse than usual with the long and pointless sob stories. Don't waste my time if they're not going to even be on the show. I honestly don't care if her dad died of cancer or how hard some other dude worked but hasn't made it yet. Just give me some awesome singing and the coaches being charming.

10. Aragorn

Song rights have to be cleared from the get go otherwise they can't even perform it, because if they win they record their own version for sale on iTunes.

So they went through six battle rounds in two hours. Six. Either they're gonna run battle rounds for the next four weeks or some of these performers will be victims of the montage.

Also, both contestants who were montaged in the blind auditions that they showed tonight got the boot. I wonder if that might become a trend.

Not sure it was a good idea to show both of Shakira's steals on the first night. Unless the rest of the steals were that anticlimactic.

11. intrinsical

There are 4 episodes dedicated to the battle rounds, 6 battles per episode. There won't be any montages as there are exactly 4x6 battles.

No! Just no. No getting rid of anymore montaged singers. Amy Whitcomb is one of the best rock screamers I have ever heard. Yes she was montaged, but it would be a huge travesty if she got kicked out of in the battle rounds.

12. Aragorn

The Tuesday shows are only an hour long. They're not airing six full battles tonight. They'd need to cut a lot of the fat to air more than three battles in an hour.

13. Star Wolf

But they don't want to cut fat, they want to fill three hours a week, they would add more if they didn't fear burning the franchise out prematurely.

If it were me I would want The Voice to be like The Gong Show was, once and out. And then you will have the judges interaction. But then it will be hard to sell that these people are something extra special over the singer playing the local bar or church this weekend.

14. Venardhi

I may be mistaken, but I'm under the impression that broadcast rights are different from performing rights are different from cover rights. The first being far more tightly controlled(though I'm not sure exactly how it applies when the broadcast is of a cover) and the latter two being considerably more lax in the name of artistic freedom. If true, cutting down the performance to 15 seconds or less would free them from needing broadcast rights. This is all stuff I've gathered mostly from hearsay though so, again, I may well be mistaken.

15. Aragorn

All blind audition songs have to be cleared. A few artists have talked about not being able to sing songs they wanted for the blind audition.

So on night two of the battle rounds, there were two more montaged blind audition performers promptly disposed of in yet another montage. I thought the third montage was between two previously-montaged singers, but it turned out they both had their blind auditions shown, which I guess tells you how memorable they were.

16. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, good point. At first I didn't like the montages, but honestly the ones they are doing it for don't really seem to be all that stellar or exciting, so I don't mind them trimming it down for us. I actually think the performances tonight weren't all that astounding either, especially the two country dudes from Adam's team and the cocky pretty boys from Usher's team, so I think they could have been montaged and I wouldn't have minded at all. My point is, the really good, unique, and interesting performers seem to rise to the top, so the montages don't really bother me.

17. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Yes, so far all of the performances have been...safe. No one has stood out for me. This coupled with the fact that the judges are not choosing the contestants that I would have leads me to believe that I am going to be frustrated this season!

I understand that it makes sense to choose young, inexperienced performers as they would be very malleable easy to coach to a specific style. But it is getting very predictable!

18. Aragorn

Sorry, intrinsical, I think Amy Whitcomb just got screwed.

Even if she wins her knockout round, the voting audience will have only seen one of her three performances because her blind audition and battle round were both reduced to a montage.

Last season that happened to Loren Allred and no one voted for her. Of course, her live performance was flat after her awesome knockout round performance (which would've been a bigger revelation had people been able to see her first two performances), so maybe there's a chance Amy could last longer than her.

19. intrinsical

I DON'T BELIEVE IT. Amy's been montaged out again! Why are they doing this to the best singer in the competition?

20. Star Wolf

First individual opinions are not universal. My guess is either she has no sob story or her's is being saved for a future episode since other performers stories have been used already.