My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

LOLness. Aint it the truth.

Then again.. when don't we cheer for Jeffery Combs?

2. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

Mr. J and I rewatched this last night. Hawkins!

We did imagine it, a bit, with the 'bots from Mystery Science Theatre 3000, yelling, "Brains!"

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

^ They looked like they wanted to eat brains.

Very true.

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Affliction
    [​IMG]

This episode is interesting. Trip is sorely missed on the Enterprise, and the Columbia crew can't quite keep up with him. T'Pol is dealing with her denial about being in love with Trip, and I think they have some sort of link to each other, almost like being bonded. Malcolm is a member of... Section 31??? And Archer has his "Eh tu, Brute," moment when he catches Malcolm in the act, but Malcolm can't tell him it's not what he thinks... The Klingons trying to make their own augments backfires, and Phlox gets caught in the middle. Lots of stuff a bruin'. :)

Grade: B

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    [​IMG]

Considering how many storylines they were cat-juggling in this arc, I thought they did pretty well.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Section 31 arc really wasn't necessary to the episode, and it was disappointing they had to force that in there so late. You'd think the Section would've had a mission or two regarding the Xindi, the Klingons or any of their earlier encounters if they decided Reed was dependable.

But Enterprise spent half it's existence doing this. "Hey let's do a Ferengi episode!" "Let's do a BORG episode, how cool would that be?" and so forth... so someone in the writers room probably had been advocating a Section 31 episode for a long time and got his bone. Even though it in essence contributed nothing to the forced drama of smooth headed Klingons. No long term thinking beyond the single minded "cool" factor of the episode of the week.

As for Phlox? Someone cloned him. He's like all moral and stuff now, you almost forget he advocates genocide.

7. teacake

I love Section 31 sudden reveals of .. Section 31.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have nothing against the concept of Reed being in the Section, that would've been cool to find out in season 2 or something.

It really contributed not a thing to the plot's problem or resolving it. They just played a mild part on causing the problem, that really was already underway. Aside from Reed getting some angsty screen time, which was well done.

In the other episode they're in they play a similarly inconsequential role aside from taking up screen time.

9. teacake

I would have vastly preferred it if Reed was a devout member rather than all the angst about being trapped in it. That would have fitted his personality and added huge interest to the character.

10. lurok

You make him sound like a tortured Catholic! But I can dig that :)

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I liked the Section 31 reveal simply because it gave Reed something interesting in his background. "Stuffy guy with lots of allergies and phobias who likes to blow stuff up" is pretty weak.

Sure, in an ideal world the writers would have come up with the idea during the series' conceptual phase so that it could have been a part of Reed's development from the first episode. But it wasn't. IMO, adding it in even in the late stages of Season Four did more good than it did harm.

12. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Posting to track this topic. I'm enjoying reading through it.

13. lurok

Ooh. Another possible convert?

14. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Yanks! How the hell are ya??!! Get to postin' so's we can see the lovely Jolene av I know you have tucked away somewhere. ;)

15. Spock/Uhura Fan

Welcome to the thread, and thanks for reading. :)

16. Felidae

Felidae Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow, it's been only a few months since I finished watching (rewatching) all the ENT epi's and already now, by reading this I want to watch them again. Gotta say to me, ENT is on a whole different level. Not as clean, not as sophisticated, yet more.. real, visceral. I love it.
    Plus, Trip, Malcolm, Jon, yes, this series def has the best men in it.

17. teacake

Yes ENT is the series for men, that's for sure.

We should just transport all those delicious men to Voyager and give ENT the VOY duds, then my Star Trek would be PERFECT.

18. Skywalker

No thanks. Those duds can stay in the Delta Quadrant. :p

19. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Hey, speak for yourself! I say we keep the delicious men and add Chakotay. :D

20. Skywalker

Oh, see, I'm not thinking in terms of 'delicious men.' I just don't want any VOY characters sullying ENT. :p

Except for the Doctor. It'd be funny to see how he and Phlox get along.