Re-booting TNG For TV?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jetfire, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Since the JJ movies are a re-boot/re-telling of TOS...should the next TV series re-tell TNG? I think this could be a great idea and would support it. :)

TNG is tied with VOY as my favorite series' and I would love this...could it be F*'d up? Sure...but if it doesn't work...we could just ignore it. ;)

If this was on the CW...it could work well since they are switching up their programming a bit and Mark Pedowitz said he likes remakes. Link.

:bolian:

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd sooner NOT find myself having to ignore, disown, whatever... anything in the Star Trek franchise.

I even value what the Animated Series brought to the table. It proudly sits between the Original Series and Motion Picture.

Ideally I'd prefer the next chapter to work as part of a bigger picture like that, in addition to doing its own thing.

But try telling that to anyone in Hollywood. The entertainment industry is basically eating itself alive right now. Picking over carcasses, some of which to me, weren't dead enough for that sort of reimaging. Somewhat obsessed with remaking everything they remember seeing when they were 8 years old, rather than coming up with completely original programming that will itself stand the test of time... without having a successful brand name to lean on.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

What ever is next would have to work within what has already been...I mean...TOS is being done in the movies...would TNG, DS9 & VOY be ignored? These shows are institutions as much as TOS. IMO. :shrug:

Hollywood sees re-telling popular or even familiar ideas safer than doing something new. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
  4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're safer because they have a higher success rate.

Why reboot? Just recast, redesign and move forward.

I was reminded the other day that there have been several movie versions of events surrounding the gunfight at the O.K. corral - I've never felt it necessary to "ignore" one in order to enjoy another.

5. ChristopherPike

Meh. Hollywood is as creatively bankrupt, as this planet is financially. Morally too when I see kids rioting because they have no real role models, that worked long and hard to achieve in life. Rather than wanting it to happen overnight or hoping they'll be just plain lucky.

So let's get a 30 year old, pumped up Tom Hardy as Picard. Give him a bulldog for a pet. Have him work out with dumbells in the ready room and punch alien Ambassadors who've never heard of France.

It's about the level I expect from TV right now...

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

People like what they like.

7. ChristopherPike

Ultimately, the producers and the writers together with the Studio, tell audiences what they want to see. By promoting the hell out of it. Having it figure prominently in their strategy.

Having gained popularity, that then leads to a bandwagon of similar approaches.

Shame really that Star Trek wasn't the Star Wars of its generation... revitalizing the space opera genre. But I don't see that. Bringing back cancelled shows and giving them a make-over. Wholly new films and TV shows popping up, that aren't remakes but original ideas.

But instead we'll likely get more of the same. Babylon 5 up next. Blade Runner from the looks of it. Loads of other TV shows and franchises from the past, ripe for invention because it's easy. Some of the original people involved end up being complicit too, when there's money to be made.

I long for the days when continuations happened. Shows bubbling under that didn't need remaking. Improving possibly. Pushing those universes a little bit further along, than they were before. But not discarded and done all over again.

There's profit to be found in emotional attachment to the past, I guess... Just not carrying on where anything left off and finding a new direction from there on.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it gets Star Trek back on TV, yeah, let's reboot TNG. :D I don't see it remotely happening (I'm betting on an animated series on The Cartoon Network, with the same characters as in Abrams' movies) but I'd love to see a live-action show happen.

Wentworth Miller is my nominee for Picard. I think he should have a French accent. There's nothing inherently "silly" about a French accent. He doesn't need to sound like Inspector Clouseau.

In that case, Picard will be played by Zac Ephron. And I'd still watch it!

Not among the general public. TNG has the stink of failure upon it due to the movies flopping. The other series never became successes (and DS9 is my favorite so I'm just being objective here.)

If Star Trek returns to TV, it will be the Abrams' movie characters or new characters set in that cosmos. (To the extent we can tell what reality it's in, it will be in the one Abrams invented.)

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think TNG characters work better on TV than they did in the movies...plus the movies for TNG were not written that well...Generations ok...First Contact...alright...but Insurrection and Nemesis were awful.

I would rather see a re-telling of TNG than something new or again with TOS. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
  10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, it worked for Gene in 87 to just set the show ahead to the 24th century and go from there. A show set in the 25th century with a ship exploring strange new worlds etc. would work. :)

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I am with you there. :)

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heh heh, let's start an online petition.

At this point, I'll go for anything. VOY reboot. Dancing-tribbles-centric series. Young Hortas in love.

13. ChristopherPike

Just not an ENT one. I mean, you've got to draw the line somewhere, right? ;)

:lol:

14. Uxi

Uxi Commander Red Shirt

I would hope the next series moves to the 25th century on the original timeline. Not a fan of alternate timelines or reboots at all. Want them to build on what's gone before, not replace it.

15. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

As if a spinoff were somehow more original than a reboot. Mainstream focus groups were unable to tell the difference between TNG, Voyager and Enterprise. Though a few were fairly certain that the cast had changed.

16. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

yes! this!! :techman:

17. ChristopherPike

You sir, are Mark Pedowitz and I claim my five pounds!

:rofl:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
  19. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Who could they even cast in the roles?

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

For Picard, Riker & Data...probably known actors from TV & Movies...everyone else could be semi-known or unknown.