Nvidia moves into the handheld market.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kelthaz, Jan 8, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kelthaz you really seem to have something personal against this gaming system. :p

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

That's a little redundant, don't you think? :p

People who are serious about their gaming have no problem dropping a couple grand on a new system, and $60 on brand-new games. A couple hundred bucks for a complementary handheld is peanuts.

3. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

How is that thing supposed to fit in your pocket? A console controller isn't a terribly efficient profile for something to jam between your phone, wallet, MP3 player, keys, earphones and whatever else is part of your daily kit.

This seems like yet another device to play the exact same games as every other console- what kind of exclusives will this thing have? Most people who like smartphone games already have a smartphone, and most PC gamers already have a more-than-suitable PC with a USB controller. It's not going to offer a drastically different experience from either, unless "The screen's too bloody small!" is viewed as a plus for PC users.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nvidia's Project Shield Priced at $349, Now Available for Pre-Order

Yeah, I still say that this is a ridiculous idea with little to no market appeal. I just don't know what type of gamer Nvidia expects to buy this at such a high price point.

Five months later and I'm still pissed! :)

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whereas I hadn't even thought of it since I made that post. ;)

6. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

What do you mean? At least they developed CUDA. And isn't this SHIELD stuff part of their cloud gaming idea?

7. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The kind with money!

8. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. The tech on this is great, but the price is prohibitively expensive - I have no idea who would shell out $349 for it. It's $100 more than a WiFi Vita, and that system has suffered poor sales at least in part due to its price tag.

9. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

For that price I'd buy a new graphics card and play everything in super detail. Perhaps it'll be an ATI card... :rolleyes: