Babylon 5 Season 2 - Not enough Delenn, G'Kar, Londo, kind of boring

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hespen, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Hespen

Hespen Ensign Newbie

I enjoyed Babylon 5 Season 1, but Season 2 has gotten off to a slow start. In season 1 there was lots of alien politics but that seems to be absent in the start of season 2.

When does season 2 get good? I'm at episode 6 right now.

Also, Captain Sheridan doesn't seem to be as strong or charismatic as Sinclair. Does his performance improve? He seems too "nice".

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Re: Babylon 5 Season 2 - Not enough Delenn, G'Kar, Londo, kind of bori

The alien politics will pick up soon. A lot early on is establishing Sheridan and why he's on the station. The Coming of Shadows, episode 9 as I recall, should have a lot of the things you seem to have enjoyed from season one.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

There were a lot of duds in the opening batch of S2, but by the middle third it got much better. I find S2 much better than S1.

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

His middle name isn't "Nuke'em" for nothing...

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sheridan had more presence then Sinclair, if you ask me, much more in touch with his crew then Sinclair.

6. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Too nice? Too happy? Ah, but that's the point. Don't worry though. It's just the beginning and the first layer of the character. There's more.

7. Hespen

Hespen Ensign Newbie

Okay, I just watched a rage through dark places which was a great episode! Gov Kodos mentioned episode 9 so I'm looking forward to watching it now.

8. Hespen

Hespen Ensign Newbie

DAMN, episode 9 was epic. The show seems back on track now!

9. Gov Kodos

I hope the show continues to impress you. Let us know what you think, it's always fun to see folks first time reactions. You might edit your opening post to ask folks to refrain from spoilers, if you want to keep away from them.

10. Hespen

Hespen Ensign Newbie

I'm watching episode 15 now in season 2. What a great episode. For me Delenn, g'kar, londo, franklin and Garibaldi carry the show. I think G'kar is a very interesting character. I still haven't accepted Captain sheridan, he seems weak compared to sinclair. Sinclair was up there with picard, sisko, janeway. I think the guy who plays sinclair went to harvard and trained at juliard. The Sheridan guy isn't that great of an actor. I'm not sure about ivanova yet.

So far I think the less I see of Ivanova and Sheridan the better but we'll see what happens. I'm willing to give their characters a chance.

How about you? Favorite characters?

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It's refreshing to see someone singing Sinclair's praises. Many folks didn't appreciate the character he was playing, and rather than a man with Survivor's Guilt and a "Hole in his mind", they saw a wooden actor/character.

Ivanova, yea, Claudia Christian is definitely no Meryl Streep, but, I enjoyed the character she played, and can't imagine anyone else in the role.

Sheridan has a pretty strong character arc, stick with him, in the end, I hope you will find Boxleitner did a good job with the role when you look back at who he was in his introduction, versus who he becomes in the end.

Mira Furlan, Peter Jurasic, and Andreas Katsulas are definitely awesome actors

12. Gov Kodos

The best actors on the show really are Jurasik and Katsulas. Moreover, their stories generally have the meatiest material and the plots of those stories often intertwine so the actors have a lot to play with. Mira Furlan is also fantastic and has some great material in the series. Unfortunately, she doesn't have an opposite to play off of all the time the way Londo and G'Kar benefit from. I'm with you on preferring Sinclair to Sheridan. Boxleitner's acting never bothered me, his character is just a great deal simpler than O'Hare's Sinclair. I enjoyed Ivanova as a character. Claudia's best moments for me was when she had comedy moments or was playing the strait up fighter/commander. I enjoyed Garibaldi, but I have a fondness for the NY detective types so there you go. B5 was great fun for me and still is. I had never cottoned to the TNG era of Trek, and B5 was a much welcome gem for me.

13. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Babylon 5 is the pinnacle of live-action sci-fi storytelling and Londo Mollari is my all-time favourite television character.

I think Season 2 is a vast improvement on the first, as much as I love Sinclair. Season 1 is great set-up but fairly standard and episodic in nature. Season 2 is when Babylon 5 really shows what it can do. It couldn't have done that without S1's set-up though which was incredibly subtle and patient.