The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

They did. I know this because I have it.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    That's good to hear. I'm glad they actually cranked out a couple of the lesser and supporting characters before the line was cancelled. That entire series of action figures just trumped almost every other toy line in accuracy and realism, but since it was Star Trek and - as we know, Star Trek is Teh Uncool with a lot of people - the line floundered and failed. A real shame.

3. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, the Art Asylum Star Trek was some of the best stuff ever made. The later Diamond Select stuff wasn't bad, but didn't have the same level of incredible quality that the Enterprise and Nemesis stuff did. Too bad the best figures had to be from Enterprise and Nemesis. They didn't even finish the DS9 crew, did they?

4. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Captain America is awesome! :drool:

There are a lot of DS9 figures they never got around to making. I would have loved an Ezri Dax or Damar. :(

5. OdoWanKenobi

^Or Quark, or Nog, or Garak, or Dukat, or Kira in a Bajoran uniform, or Weyoun, or the Founder, or so many others that I could go on at length about. I guess the trouble with DS9 (but also what makes it such a great show) is that the immense recurring cast is often times just as important and interesting as the main cast. That makes it hard for a company like Diamond Select, not known for churning out lots of product in a line, to satisfy the fans.

Oh, and here's day eight:
    [​IMG]

I imagine Palpatine saying to John "Good, good. Let the hate flow through you."

6. Kira's Mom

Playmates did most of those. They cancelled their line just as DS9 was ending. I never got any Art Asylum figures.

7. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, but the Playmates figures aren't compatible in scale, style, or quality to the Art Asylum/Diamond Select ones.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Which is ironic given that Art Asylum did a few figures for Playmates towards the end of their license.

9. Kira's Mom

True dat. But it was nice to have something affordable.

10. cooleddie74

Great Dark Lords Duelin' photo....you were right about Day Eight. It certainly delivered. ;)

I know a few online collectors who'd probably try to skin you alive if they knew you not only owned Darth Revan and Darth Malak but took them out of the mint package, but I'm sure that doesn't surprise you in the least.

Regarding that Emperor Palpatine figure's robe and hood, I have to say that the combination of the two has never looked very good. The hood/cowl is just all different kinds of lame rolled into one thanks to the way the fabric was shaped and sewn, but at least the figure underneath is pretty sweet.

11. OdoWanKenobi

Dude, I would open a vinyl caped Jawa just to piss of MOCers. :p

I agree about Palpatine. It seems to me that ROTJ Palps is one character they still have yet to get right.

12. cooleddie74

I'm assuming an "ultimate" Return of the Jedi Emperor is something that'll get tackled when the Vintage Collection returns with new figures. That seems to be the consensus on the collecting boards.

The truth is that if you take this year's Vintage Episode I Darth Sidious and replace the head and hands with those of an older, deformed Emperor Palpatine you actually have a pretty sweet and acceptable Original Trilogy Emperor even if he's not as hunched over as the character was in Jedi.

13. OdoWanKenobi

Here's hoping. He's sorta the one big character that has never gotten a definitive version.

I was kinda hoping for some uncontrollable terror from the very thought of opening a MOC vinyl Jawa from you. :lol:

14. cooleddie74

I shuddered a little, yes. :lol:

But since you didn't provide photos of the crime, no biggie.

15. cooleddie74

All-New Pictures of Wave 4 Movie Heroes figures in European packaging!

And here's a great, hi-res picture of the MTT Droid Fighter Class II vehicle in 2013 Yoda-themed packaging. The Obi-Wan is a straight repack of the figure from the recent Duel on Naboo Battle Pack (check out that much better and more accurate Ewan McGregor head) while the Blue Pilot Battle Droid is a repaint of a slightly older droid mold.

This is the first new, movie-style blue Battle Droid Pilot in over a decade.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  16. OdoWanKenobi

^That is pretty sexy looking.

The very last DC Club Infinite Earths figures of the year have hit my doorstep. The monthly figure, Platinum with Tin, and the quarterly oversized figure, Lead.
    [​IMG]

With these guys, we now have the complete classic Metal Men:
    [​IMG]

17. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

^They look great - although Tin seems too small...

18. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, he is a bit small, and Lead is a bit big. They still make for an awesome display when all together, though.

19. OdoWanKenobi

I almost forgot. Here's day nine:
    [​IMG]

I have this thing going on in my head where Guy Gardner and Rainbow Dash have quickly become the best of friends. They're both kinda loud, always want to be acknowledged as the best. They're also both fiercely loyal to their friends, and when the going gets tough, there's nobody you would rather have at your back.

20. cooleddie74