ST09 fans, why did you like it?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Warped9, Mar 10, 2010.

1. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

No I am a fan I just like to stay objective. One of the ways I learn is by considering others' view points and trying to see through their eyes. Some of the bashing/hating of nuTrek is a bit over the top but I appreciate level headed criticism because no movie is without flaws. Most of those flaws I can over-look because it is an entertaining movie. I also enjoy playing Devil's Advocate and if you have seen posts of me bashing it or being overly critical then that was the case. I also tend to fall out of and back into love with things so that could also be the case.

I saw it four times in the theater so surely that counts for something, as compared to District 9 and Sherlock Holmes which I only saw once and have no intention of watching again.

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

Fast-paced, concise alternate-lore, dramatic opening, and the movie makes the characters their own.

And it's contemporary, probably too contemporary but that's a concern for later, not now. It's nice to know Earth culture beyond the very middle of the 20th Century will survive into the future despite what TNG would have us think.

3. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

I found ST 09 to be dynamic, emotional, and above all, fun. The characters were vibrant and relatable, the action was well paced, and - okay I'll say it - much of the stodgy baggage of past Trek was finally jettisoned. Garth said it better :).

4. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

What does jettisoned mean

5. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Done away with. Specifically, I'm talking about the Roddenberry-approved "evolved sensibilities" that are most obvious in TNG, but are present in most of Trek to one degree or another. Human beings learning to work together and overcome problems I like, but oft times the philosophy interfered with the realistic depiction of human beings. I never got that sense in ST 09; in fact, some of my favorite scenes were in the bar. People still get piss drunk and then get in brawls over women? Those are human beings I recognize.

(Waits for inevitable comment about how I missed the point of Star Trek, and the Great Bird's "unique vision of a better future for humanity.")

6. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too. I didn't initially realize it until I watched the special features in the DVD release and realized "So THAT'S what they did!" the first few times I saw it I kept thinking there was something different about the exterior shots but couldn't put my finger on it.

Speaking of which, going through the DVD extras there were ALOT of really innovative effects in this movie. It's been a long time since somebody put that much creativity into a trek production and I think the end product reflects that.

7. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

it made my gf fall in love with star trek.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The last time Nerys Myk posted in this thread was two months ago. Stop spamming.