Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well, this Book Club is really cool. I figured it would be a subscription service, and checked it out anyways, and I find out that, no, they just discount the download site-wide. Totally cool for me, since I prefer the downloads, it'll be a great way to add to my back catalog, which although I have quite a number of Audioplays already is rather small in the grand scheme of what's available. I would imagine they won't pick any stories that are universally considered poor (and probably sticking to stories that were well received, or at least just going in order for the range, either way, "Two Wings up" from Me)

Downloading Sirens of Time now

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are poor stories that were not well received?

NEVER!

3. Sindatur

So, I finally got around to downloading those Minister of Chance Audios that Pindar linked a couple pages back, and decided to Google/Wiki to find out where The Minister of Chance came from, which led me to Death Comes to Time, and I found the Flash Animation for Death Comes to Time on both Youtube and another popular streaming site, in case there's anyone else like me, who's not familiar with Death Comes to Time or just wants to watch it again, if they have it. I'll probably watch the Flash Animation tomorrow Night (2hrs 58 minutes for the 5 episodes, and I'll be watching the S3 premiere episodes of Falling Skies tonight, so Death Comes to Time will be tomorrow night's entertainment)

4. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A new episode of Minister of Chance came out the other day.

5. Sindatur

I downloaded the Prologue, plus 5 episodes, last one is Episode 5 In a Bank on the River Hex 51:50 running time. Is that the latest, or do I need to look in another spot on the site? I just downloaded them yesterday about 3pm California Time

Be awhile before I listen to them, but, they are ready for me, when I do get to them.

BTW, how ya doin' now? All better? You seem to have some color back in your posting (You were sick and drugged up...right?)

6. Pindar

I think you will have them all.

I am on antibiotics still for a chest infection, coughing like mad. I only have 2 days left to recover before I go on holiday.

Thanks for asking :)

7. Sindatur

So, I'm on the next to last disk of Mordant's Need Audio Books, ao, I'll jump back to the Whoniverse.

I have:
    The Sirens of Time - 1st Main Range, Book Club for June $2.99 Special
    I subscribed for a full year to Main Range, since download isn't too bad for a year subscription, starts with #175 Persuasion.
    Bonus Release IX - The Four Doctors (Free Gift for Subscription)
    8th Unbound - Masters of War (David Warner)
    All the Colin/Evelyn's
    All the Freebie Downloads from Big Finish Pindar posted a few weeks back

So, I'll be quite Doctor Who Happy for some time to come. I'll hit the Multi-Doctor Stories first

8. Guy Gardener

I did that. Hit the Dalek stories first then the Master stories then the multi doctor stories and then... Went back to the beginning and worked my way down the list numerically like I should have all along.

Time and money means that you want to listen to the obvious A-list stories first, but it's going to get to a point where you don't want to pay from the final dribble of d-listers except that you're tweaking for more.

As a child you ate your chicken drumsticks first, then your mashed potatoes, but your mummy and daddy wouldn't let you leave the table to watch the new episode of Chips until you finished the Mountain of Broccoli and Brussels sprouts still left on the plate.

As an adult you use the meat and potatoes to mask the foul taste of that green shit.

9. Sindatur

I got the first three or four Colin/Evelyn stories and loved Evelyn more with each story, so, while I've been listening to a Fantasy Duology, I collected the rest of the Colin/Evelyns.

The rest just kinda fell into my lap for cheap or free. So, I had quite a few before this, this is just what I have new waiting to be listened to.

10. Guy Gardener

Evelyn is fun but it's all over the place in the last quarter and then her story starts intruding in on what 7 is up to. :)

11. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

My wife and I have been listening through the Evelyn/Hex stories. Excellent, excellent stuff.

12. Guy Gardener

I just want Ace and Hex to hook up, but she keeps saying "no" every time he suggests it.

13. Sindatur

So, I've been listening to the Freebie downloads at work today:

Mission of the Viyrans (Single episode) - Kinda Meh. Doctor-lite, not much investigation, seems like a clip show. Also, I found out after listening, it is part 3 of 3. Might be better in context. Also, I know the character Erimem, but, haven't listened to any of her stories. So, it was kind of a bummer that a spoiler for her was apparently spit out. If you haven't listened to this story, be sure to listen to the first two parts first. At some point I'll get the other 2 parts and listened to it again properly

Short Trips: Rise and Fall (Ian and Doctor One) (Single Episode) - I enjoyed this little trip, nice to hear Ian narrate it

UNIT - The Coup (Single Episode) - First Unit story, was pretty cute, interested in hearing more in the future

Cuddlesome (2 Episodes) - Peter Davison and Peri. This one was really cool. I thought it was gonna be awful, but I liked it quite a bit.

Listening to the Dalek Story now, which is 1:15. That suggests to me it's 3 episodes long, though I don't recall the first episode ending until about 38 minutes in, so maybe 2 episodes 38 minutes each. Enjoying it so far.

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The links between the Virus Strand stories are really, really small-- they all have viruses in them, and that's it-- so I don't think you're missing anything by not having heard the other ones before Mission of the Viyrans.

15. Sindatur

Ah, OK, so, just the Spoiler?
    Well other than the apparent Spoiler that Erimem died (Or had something awful happen) "Erimem wouldn't want us to sad"

Finished The Mutant Phase also, and quite enjoyed it. So, far, the free downlaods seem to have been a great find, thanks Pindar. Of the 5 out of 8 I've listened to, MotV was my least favorite, and liked to loved the others (Gotta give them a re-listen when I'm not working, as I missed some stuff)

16. Guy Gardener

The Doctor Goes to Peladon, they have an adventure. Erimem falls in love with the King of Peledon, who is maybe the grandson of who 3 met in the 70s, who she marries and sets down roots with, and the final words from Peri on the subject was "Don't worry I'd never leave you to run off and be a princess" or words to those effect...

There are regional adverts for a local bank, ASB, using Brian Blessed as a spokes person, it doesn't matter what he really says about ASB Bank because every time I see a poster of him telling me to use and trust ASB bank, all I can here in my minds ear (you don't have a minds ear?) is "ASB Bank proudly supports Flash Gordon Day!"

17. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not only that, her departure story was written and released after Mission. So it always was a tease.

Hex got a namecheck in Zagreus several stories before he was introduced too.

18. Sindatur

Ah, OK. Yea, I recall hearing Hex' name in Zagreus, but, that was among my first few Audio Plays, so I just figured it was my ignorance of his stories

19. Pindar

Big Finish are having a sale of the lost stories this weekend. I splurged on a bunch of them.

20. Sindatur

Finished doing a re-listen to David Warner's first Unbound Sympathy for the Devil. I really enjoy this one, David Warner makes a great Doctor and Mark Gatiss plays a really good Master. David Tennant is a blast as The Colonel. I had forgotten The Brig hops onboard The TARDIS at the end of this one.

Now, I'm listening to David Warner's second Unbound Masters of War. (I got it at the same time as I got the rest of The Colin/Evelyn stories, to complete my Unbound Set) I finished the first disk, and I am absolutely loving it. I was hoping The Brig was travelling with The Doctor in this one, and had a bit of a let down when I popped the first disk in, and it was a Trailer for a McGann/Charley story, not realizing for sure that it was a trailer :alienblush:. But, sure enough The Brig is in it, and Warner Doctor and The Brig are great together. I just finished the first disk (Great cliffhanger, and then a 12+ minute concert) and will start the second disk on my way home tonight