Small 2010 update - covers and titles

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Nov 9, 2009.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Doing my usual scan of S&S and Amazon, and I see a few updates.

First of all, what I guess are the final covers for Inception and The Children of Kings have been released - and it seems that Britta Dennison is now co-writing Inception with S.D. Perry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rather like the Kings cover, although I'm not sure what's up with Jeff Hunter's forehead and hairline - it doesn't quite seem right...

Greg Cox's ST09 novel has a title (although I'm sure he'll be along shortly to tell me it's wrong... :D) - The Hazard of Concealing...

And finally, there are some very short blurbs for each of the four ST09 novels on Amazon - as always, these should not be considered to be accurate (and probably aren't).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It has a pointed ear growing out of it. :p

It's his final front ear.

3. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

GUARDS! SEIZE HIM!

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nope. That's the title all right! Thanks for the alert!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm... their description for Seek a Newer World bears a vague resemblance to the story. It also bears a vague resemblance to English sentence structure.

The Children of Kings cover is interesting, and kind of ambiguous. That photo of Spock is definitely series-era rather than pilot-era, and it's hard to tell which version of the Enterprise that is, since you can't see the nacelle caps, the bridge module, or the other giveaways.

I wonder where the Inception cover artist got the photo reference for a young Bibi Besch.

I looked up "the hazard of concealing," and it turns out to be a line from a Robert Burns poem.

6. Greg Cox

Wow. You tracked down that quote fast!

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

prolly just shopped out the lines on her face from a TWOK era pic and added longer hair.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I really like the Children Of Kings cover. Great stuff on both of those, actually; much better than the last few covers this year.

And the variety of stories from the nuTrek books sounds appealing :)

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the new cover art for Inception and Children of the kings.I like this new cover for Dave Stern's novel.:techman:

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

It's weird that Children Of Kings, which apparently is coming out after Unspoken Truth, has cover art first.

11. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

It could just be that Amazon's not yet received it. Or, it hasn't yet been approved by the licensor for one reason or another. The covers aren't necessarily developed (or approved) in accordance with the publishing schedule.

12. Greg Cox

Exactly. Sometimes covers are ready before the book is written. Sometimes they're thrown together at the eleventh hour. It all depends.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nope. I found it -- it's from a 1972 magazine cover:

http://www.freebase.com/view/guid/9202a8c04000641f8000000004a81184

Boy, my Google-fu is hot today...

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, it really is amazing the stuff you can find on the internet.
    As for the books, love the two covers, and while those descriptions are only one sentence they do have potential. I can't wait to see a bigger full color version of the cover for Unspoken Truths.
    I was looking up UT's title on Memory Beta, and I noticed that instead of The Children of Kings it had a Dave Stern TOS book titled To Thine Own Self with this preliminary cover. I understand the covers aren't final but I'd always assumed the titles were. Does anyone have any idea why they changed the title?

I don't know about anyone else, but I actually like the earlier one better. That's not to say that I don't the new one, because I do, I just find the old one a little more interesting.

15. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Commander Red Shirt

If I remember correctly, "The Children of Kings" was announced at Shore Leave. Later the Pocket Books-catalogue called it "To Thin Own Self" and now we have this final cover, again with the first announced title. I guess, "To Thin Own Self" was actualy the older title, then got changed but somebody forget to tell the creators of Pocket Books catalogue. It wouldn't be the first time.

But the Covers are looking great, I really like this new style for the TOS-Books they use since the 40th-Anniversary.

16. Therin of Andor

They're keeping that for the Star Trek dieting book.

17. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Really nice covers :techman:. I prefer the Children of Kings cover, but that Enterprise really looks like the one from the new movie. Inception sounds cool and looks great too, but I'm wondering who Britta Dennison is? Has she written any other trek related work?

18. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

19. Therin of Andor

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Ah. Thanks guys :). I've never read the Terok Nor trilogy, so I didn't recognize the name. It's always nice to see someone new break into treklit :techman:. I wonder which of the Seven Deadly Sins she's writing about?