"Resolutions"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by RagazzaMatta, Jan 24, 2015.

1. RagazzaMatta

RagazzaMatta Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Whenever I see this episode, all I can think is that it feels like a fanfic written specifically as an excuse for Janeway and Chakotay to finally "get together". Which is actually more plausible than what actually happens, IMO.

I actually think it would have been kind of hilarious for them to be like " screw it, we're stranded" and sleep together, only to find out soon after that the crew is on their way back with a cure. How awkward would that have been? And potentially hilarious? Voyager always did those things well. Please tell me someone has written a fic where this happens!

I think Chakotay could've gotten over easily enough (he had a lot of "space flings") but I don't think Janeway would've recovered quite so fast. In fact, I think she's still technically engaged to Mark at this point, which is probably why nothing happened, so it REALLY would've been awkward.

Or would it just be like the lizard children? With the forgotten lizard love and lizard babies?
    They should've stuck a line into Endgame about that.

JANEWAY: We left a lot of memories back in the Delta Quadrant.
    PARIS: Not to mention three lizard children!
    And then B'Ellana would slap him or something as everyone else watched awkwardly. That would've been great.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway is not that interested in sex.

Chakotay said that he would wait for her to be ready.

Silly, silly patient man is going to be totally gray before the mood strikes his Captain.

If she had wanted a piece of his ass, I doubt that Kathryn would have waited longer than it takes to draw a bath.

3. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

but he didn't wait. he got assimilated, figuratively speaking.

4. Catarina

I think it's more complicated than that. I thought about that too. if she wanted him thing. but guilt and a dose of depression is a libido killer. In the AQ she totally would have gone for him over Mark. Man did you see those sparks when she breathed intimidation his way? (when she was all up in his face in Caretaker) Okay maybe not she was more stuffy and using mark to have intimacy control. but they looked like they were going to have rival sex in that scene. ahhhh subtext. makes interesting fanfics.

5. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do think that if Mark hadn't been in the picture, and a few more months had gone by, she would have gave in. But if Voyager had returned for them, like it did, Janeway would have probably told Chakotay to forget it happened. She always put her job first and it would have messed up the balance if they remained a couple on Voyager. I also agree with Catarina. Even after Resolutions they still had little bits of "something more". Chakotay continued calling her Kathryn (in privacy, she allowed him to) and they had candle lit dinners every now and then.

6. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

It didn't take him long to make that luxurious bathtub, bTW.

7. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

When talking "Resolutions", we must remember the episode that came immediately before it.

Janeway's quarters, late at night.

JANEWAY: Do you have feelings for him too, Kes? (She means Tuvix)
    KES: No, I don't. I mean, how could I? I still love Neelix, and I'm not ready to give up on him, no matter what the Doctor says.
    JANEWAY: I know how you feel. You're experiencing what people on this crew have been going through since we first got stranded in this quadrant. Do we accept that we're separated from our loved ones forever, or do we hold onto the hope that someday we'll be with them again?
    KES: What do you do, Captain?
    JANEWAY: Oh, I struggle with it every day. Sometimes I'm full of hope and optimism. Other times. ..then I dream about being with Mark and it's so real. When I wake up and realize it's just a dream, I'm terribly discouraged. In those moments, it's impossible to deny just how far away he really is. And I know that someday I may have to accept that he's not part of my life anymore.
    KES: So are you saying that I should just accept that Neelix isn't a part of my life anymore?
    JANEWAY: I would never tell you or anyone else to give up hope, Kes. I think the best thing you can do now is give yourself time

The other thing to remember is, after "Resolutions" we never see a photo of Mark in her quarters again and won't hear her mention him again until season 4's "Hunters" when she gets her "Dear John" letter.

And the last things to remember... that last scene on the planet AFTER Janeway says goodbye to the monkey and the name of this ep.

Janeway walks back to stare silent and sadly at Chakotay outside the shelter they shared. Neither one looks like they are jumping for joy at the prospect of finally beaming home to Voyager and leaving this dangerous and lonely planet.

No, they look like they are actively shedding their newly acquired personas as lovers and picking back up the mantel of Captain and First officer. They both have jobs to do and they have resolved not to let their personal lives interfere with those jobs in any way. :weep:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Astra likes this.
  8. Janeway’s Girl

I have always believed that if you truly want to be with someone, no matter the consequences, you would. Janeway could have been like "To hell with protocol! We're in the Delta Quadrant!" She didn't. But maybe she wasn't ready to move on, to give up Mark either.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

When a woman thinks like that, she's a romantic.

When a man thinks exactly the same, he's a leering sex offender who needs a good smack in the back of his head to amend his thinking.

Case in Point Tuvix wanted to be with Kes even though she was more than willing to murder him and in fact was the deciding voice upon his murder, to return Neelix.

How much harder should Tuvix have kept pushing to win the tiny Ocampa's affection?

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is exactly what happened. Don't let any silly canon-ites obsessed with screentime tell you otherwise. We never saw these people pooping but do we deny that they did? NO.

Now that you know the truth go and rewatch the angry warrior story as a post-coital break up. I promise you, you will die a little bit inside.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNAWH5-SwI[/yt]

Let's recap:

Janeway comes out IN HER NIGHTGOWN and says, that adorable classic, "we have to talk about this".

"all right" says Chak ending on an up inflection, just putting it out there that he is open and cool while quietly panicking very.

Janeway, "I think we need to define some parameters".

THE SEX WAS AWFUL!!!

Janeway, "about us." You know, it's not you, it's us.

Chak, "I'm not sure I can.. [sensitive intake] define parameters".

OH I AM ABOVE PARAMETERS SWEETIE

Chak, ".. but I can tell you a story.."

You know how he just trots this out post-coital, just REELS it off? How many other women do you think have heard this story?

Many. Many many womens have heard it. It ends with..

"and that way.. the warrior [AKA CHAK] began to know.. the true meaning of peace."

I remember when Houlihan got that missent letter from her fiance which was to some girl he was frakking on the side. He told said girl he was getting married and described Houlihan as "a sturdy woman". I was only a kid when I saw this but this became the benchmark of Awful Things Men Say.

But I think it was bested, not that benchmarks are bested as they are the base awfulness rather than the peak awfulness but anyway this scene always brings the Hotlips Houlihan scene to mind because..

"I FRAKKED YOU AND AM DUMPING YOU BECAUSE THAT IS THE TRUE MEANING OF PEACE" is just sooo awful and Chak is such an embarrassment.

Janeway, godblessher, thinks the best of him. What a sweetie, she deserves better.

11. Janeway’s Girl

^ Speeches such as this always make me wonder why men can't say what they mean, they have to hide behind a story to show their feelings.

12. teacake

This is the weird thing. J/C'ers do like to think they did it in Resolutions. But if they did it Chak is a major, major wanker dumping her via this story.

13. Janeway’s Girl

Even if I was a J/C shipper, I still would have doubted that they had slept together. I don't think Janeway would do that. She would have felt like she had betrayed Mark.

14. teacake

Oh pfft, Mark. He has dog custody.

15. teacake

If Mark actually gave a shit about her he would have gone out searching for her. But instead he stayed on cushy earth with the puppies and found another girlfriend.

Okay I will give Chak this one, when Janeway was dead he DID almost kill himself to follow her through death's door. He was manly in that way.

16. Janeway’s Girl

Do you ever wonder why you aren't a J/C fan? What it is about these two being together that you don't like? I do. Chakotay is a nice guy and cares about Janeway. Why isn't that enough for me?

I don't think Starfleet lets civilians go into space, do they?

17. Catarina

She hinted. "I was using Mark to avoid getting involved." She wasn't ready in Resolutions because it hadn't occurred to her.
    protocol made it out of the question why tease yourself?
    Also listen to Kate she is self-sacrificial.
    Janeway digs Chakotay and they have brushes of closeness to show it. But she believes she can't give in by protocol or obligations. I've sacrificed love before and I've never stopped loving him. In fact from her point of view she's showing ultimate love by giving it all up to her mission. what her prob is her physical needs she runs empty. And doing things selfishly like going back in time damn the future isn't ultimate love. doing your best to atone through making the best and forgiving herself might be. she was crippled with guilt and her loneliness. loneliness which probably stemmed by loss of father. Physical touch and act of service are her love languages but one is half neglected by limiting to a pat on the back here, a face cradle there. So she feels lonely when really she's not.

I have another theory which could connect with my above statement actually; She loves Chakotay but from a man and wife way-no. What she's drawn to what excites her, is their shared loneliness and sacrifices for their perceptions of what is right. Losing Chakotay to seven was heart felt but only because it meant she'd be alone being alone. I wonder if she feared losing that common theme than a potential mate. What people think they want isn't all true. she doesn't t want house and kids or she would have. she was too busy for mark and even demanded love me love my dog. She loved being lost but assumed no one came to love it as she and that field her determination.

I bet they'll get home and regret it. the close knit senior staff, anyway.

18. Janeway’s Girl

That's actually a really good theory! I've also never been able to picture Janeway as the married/mom type. She is far too adventurous to stay on Earth and look after the kiddies.

I'm almost done Homecoming and I definitely sense that all the senior staff feel empty and alone without Voyager. It's great that they made it home but it's almost a hollow victory.

19. teacake

I feel I must say that this is not a gender thing, stories are a buffer and everyone uses them. Chak just took it to epic level of dumbness.

No.

If relaunch Treklit gives her a baby now that she is alive again and with Chak I will personally throw that baby into a one way wormhole.

20. Catarina

Teacake! throw the book, not a cute Chakotay baby. anyway, don't like domestic Janeway as I hinted on earlier. I loved Work Force but I am not afraid to admit I was uncomfortable with gooey Janeway. If she's like that in love, chakotay or otherwise, I'll take angst Janeway. BUT I am aware she had no memories being federation so maybe she was dorky from that result.