Re-doing Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Enabran, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

DS9 was always fully staffed and always had all the resources they needed despite the war going badly.

2. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

DS9 was very much in demand and people would come to replace the deceased.

Voyager didn't have that possibility or do you think it did?

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

But if DS9 wanted to show how bad things were supposedly going, they shouldn't have had the place be so well-stocked and fully manned all the time.

VOY, had it been a larger ship with a larger crew (while only needing a small fraction of them) could get away with dead people since they weren't overly-necessary to begin with.

Having it be a smaller ship was another thing that hurt it. Made it too weak and vulnerable.

4. Kobayshi Maru

I am troubled by the fact that their number was practically constant throughout the series in spite of the dead. That shows a deplorable lack of concern by the writers that I find irritating.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Why? NuBSG did the same thing, all they ever killed off were nameless faceless extras who didn't matter to the ships. No one IMPORTANT ever died.

Their "survivor" counter was a load of nonsense.

They might've been better off doing what Farscape did: The ship doesn't need a crew and the Centrals are the ONLY people on the ship. No background extras or anything.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Voyager could have done it differently and better? Just throwing that out there, because it would make the show better, in my opinion.

Just because other shows do something, doesn't mean it has to be done exactly the same way.

7. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Less emphasis on Seven in the last 3 1/2 seasons, well after she was introduced and became more integrated into the crew. After season 4 IMO Seven should have been treated as "just" one of the main characters, not the character that a certain producer really seemed to favor, JMO of course.

8. Kobayshi Maru

Seven was a big seller.

9. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand that's a good reason from a production point of view. Still, I didn't like it from a story telling point of view, having seen Data and the EMH be on a similar quest to 'become less computer and more human-like' before. Also, I never could buy into the idea that Seven would consider all these tight catsuits and high heels 'efficient' :)

10. Kobayshi Maru

I don't believe she was wearing high heels. As for the cat suits, they seem efficient enough, definitely more efficient than something bulkier. Also it's obvious that Seven, at least at the beginning, had no modesty, she wouldn't care if her outfit was too revealing.

11. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://www.kribbs.com/dodge/Seven-of-Nine.gif

Of course there can be difference of opinion about whether these are high enough to classify as 'high heels', but to me, they are. Anyway, they don't really seem practical to me on a starship that keeps getting in dogfights and such.

The catsuits are perhaps not inefficient, but I can think of no good (in-universe) reason to wear them whatsoever.

12. Kobayshi Maru

I agree that she's not wearing flats.:lol:

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Caretaker- Series Premiere

The year is 2371, the United Federation of Planets has signed a Peace Treaty with the Cardassian Union to end decades of hostility due to contested space and worlds. A product of the Treaty is that a Demilitarized Zone has been created as a Border Buffer area that encompasses worlds from both sides that were contested.

Unhappy with this arrangement, colonists within the DMZ form their own militias. Federation Colonists form a group called the Maquis and Federation Starfleet Personnel also unhappy with the Treaty defect to join them to battle the Cardassian forces. The Maquis take to assaulting and stealing equipment from Federation forces who try to intervene.

A group of Maquis disappears while being tracked by the Federation in an area where other vessels had been reported as missing as well. A member of his crew is a Vulcan named Tuvok. As it turns out, Tuvok is really an undercover Starfleet agent reporting their movements. Tuvoks’ ship, The USS Voyager commanded by Captain Cavit, is ordered to investigate and apprehend the Maquis as well as find out what happened to the other vanished ships. To this end, recently promoted Lt Cmdr Kathryn Janeway is sent to Earth to release a Maquis Prisoner who served with Chakotay, Nicholas Locarno, to serve as a consultant.

What they don't know is that the leader of this particular cell of Maquis is a retired Fed Senior Officer named Chakotay. Because he joined up only after his retirement and his defection is unknown to the Feds this means he still has reserve high level access to Starfleet. Even Tuvok hasn't fully deduced his identity yet.

Janeway is the ship Science Officer who was put in the Command Track due to the prior 3rd in command being killed in battle and her being the only available replacement on such quick notice. She actually had put in a request to be transferred to a planetary research center that was approved; she is getting ready to transfer when this mission suddenly came up and figured she’d end her tour on Voyager with this mission. She’s an old friend of Tuvok, which explains her staying for this final mission.

Her replacement as Science Officer is being picked up by Janeway as well, Ensign Harry Kim.

Upon entering the area of space the Maquis disappeared in, Voyager is caught in some kind of teleporting beam that wreaks havoc on the ship and pulls them to an unknown, uncharted region of space inside a giant Nebula. The long-range sensors have been damaged and as such they can’t tell where they are. Captain Cavit has also been killed in the teleportation along with the Chief Medical Officer. Because this was supposed to just be a short mission, the rest of the Medical Staff wasn’t onboard and was waiting for them back at base. They have to activate the Emergency Medical Hologram to make up for the loss.

The ship is then dragged to a massive Space Station known as “The Array” and beamed onboard by the operator, a being known as “The Caretaker”.

14. Enabran

Enabran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ya I never understood why they didn't use Nicholas Locarno, since it would have nicely linked to tng, plus it would have made sense for a cadet who was kicked out to go and help the maquis. Probably a conflict with royalties or something. Also Janeway as being much more inexperienced could have been really interesting. Having Chakotay be an admiral could have been really interesting as well...

But please the whole native american thing seemed to be definitely bordering on offensive...

I completely agree...Yes she was hot and all, but it seemed so forced and just a complete attempt at a viewing boost.

15. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Harry getting promoted might have led to some actual character development and better justified his presence during staff meetings.

Harry Kim should have had a real awesome moment, where Janeway recognizes his potential and rewards him by giving him a promotion. That could cap off a character arc, where Harry Kim starts off as a green ensign and becomes a more experienced, seasoned, confident officer. Instead Harry never gets any development and stays the green ensign through out the series.

Not giving Harry a promotion, stuck the character in limbo and then why is he a main character? I why would I want to follow a character that goes no where?

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

In addition, it makes for some rather silly moments, such as a junior grade lieutenant asking Kim, an ensign, if he should report to his duty station in a crisis. If we are going to make Harry so important that extras are going to ask him for advice then at least give him the rank to indicate his importance to the crew.

If not, it just looks rather unprofessional and unmilitary to have him in a position, and serving satisfactorily and never improving in rank.

As has been asked before, if you are not going to promote him, why keep him?

17. Kobayshi Maru

Yeah, they really screwed up, there!

But then again Nog was considered a member of the senior staff back when he was a mere cadet.
    This seems a bit sloppy from the writers.

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Because they would have had to pay royalties to the creator of that character.

This again? I swear, some people act like all Chakotay did was say "how" and smoke peacepipes. :rolleyes:

19. Kobayshi Maru

I still think his remark about his people never using bows and arrows a bit strange. Why wouldn't they use them?

20. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

1. I would put in one episode between "Caretaker" and "Parallax" to show how the crew adapted to the situation with the ship stranded in the Delta Quadrant and the ship being repaired for the journey. The adaption went too fast in "Parrallax". Not to mention that, due to the Stardates, it was over amonth between the events in Caretaker (stardate 48315.6=26 April 2371) And "Parallax" (stardate 48439.7=10 June 2371). I would also give Chakotay a real tribe, like the Maya instead of some Hollywood creation.

2. The episodes "Projections", "Elogium", "Twisted" and "The 37's" woul officially count as season 1 episoes since they take place in 2371 due to the stardates.

3. The journey through Kazon space was ridiculous long. Therefore the ship should stick around the 37's planet for most of season 2 with most of the Kazon episodes taking place there. During that time, the Voyager crew would help the inhabitants of the 37's planet to start the beginning of a new Federation in the Delta Quadrant.

4. I would re-write "Tattoo", deleting the "sky spirit" stuff and repacing it with a story in which Chakotay would be stranded at a planet rather similar to his ancestors home on Earth, therefore we would have the flashbacks into his youth and the conflicts with his father.

5. All the events in "Threshold" would be described as a nightmare Janeway had after eating too much of Neelix's food.

6. Seven should have been put in a Starfleet uniform or something similar in season 4.

7. The ship should not have got in touch with Starfleet headquarters in season 4 or anytime in the later seasons until the last episodes in season 7.

8. Not so much Borg in the season 4-7 episodes. Instead more contacts with other species.

9. "Fury" should never have been done. Instead it would be replaced with my Kes story "Coming Home" which would give Kes a proper come-back to Voyager.

10. Lt. Carey would not have been killed off.

11. "Homestead" should be deleted and Neelix should remain on the ship.

12. Instead of "Homestead" and "Endgame", we would have a two-part end episode in wich the ship gets into a final showdown with the female Caretaker Suspiria. Kes would play an important role in finally convincing Suspiria of not destroying the ship and Suspiria would instead send the ship home. We would have a proper homecoming and see how the crew members were received by families, friends and officials. There would also be some hints of future missions for the ship which would be perfect for upcoming books.
    And why not a "happy ending" beteeen Chakotay and Janeway? :)