What Star Trek toys did you grow up playing with?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain Al, May 7, 2009.

1. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I had that smae Enterprise! The shuttle would come out of a little hatch on the bottom. It shot photon torpedoes (plastic disks) out thr front of the saucer.

2. Kirok_Blue

Kirok_Blue Ensign Red Shirt

I had and, much to my current dismay, eventually destroyed the south bend enterprise. I remember playing with that ship and reconfiguring her until the parts didn't stay together any more. As I got older, I built almost all of the models; must of had 10 AMT refit enterprises that I swooshed around, kitbashed, and displayed. Later, I collected most of the Playmates figures, ships, and roleplay, and I have most of the AA/DST ships and roleplay.

3. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Wow. I'm glad you didn't oversqueeze the tribble. ;)

Hey... thanks. :D

Did anybody have TFF/TUC phaser? Gosh, I wanted that thing but could never find one. And, ironically the IMO rather bad version of the Galileo-7 shuttle used to be everywhere I looked but then became rare.

4. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1.) I built AND played with my AMT Enterprise models (TOS version).
    2.) My Mego action figures
    3.) My Mego Star Trek Phaser Battle game (kind of a primitive arcade game; I never see other fans talking about this online. So, I'm not sure how broad a distribution this one got).
    4.) My AMT "Exploration Set" (Phaser, Tricorder and Communicator) model kit

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The Dinky Toys Enterprise, oh yeah. It's probably still somewhere at my dad's house...

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you talking about the blue ones with the antenna and the Enterprise chevron on them? If so, I had those too (mom gave them to me as a birthday present for my 8th in 1978.). My brother and I also played with them, of course, he was only 2 at the time and could only gurgle into them. My uncle would also talk to me over them, but, not knowing much about Star Trek, he would pretend to be a colonel from NASA who would give orders over the radio to Captain Kirk (me).

I also had the eight inch figures and plastic Enterprise bridge set with the "turntable" transporter chamber from 1973 or 1974. Spent a go chuck of the '70's and early '80's playing with those until I wore them out.

7. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My imagination, I guess. I was not even aware of the existence of any Star Trek toys at the time. I would set up folding chairs in the garage to look like the bridge. The helm was a long table with two chairs behind it, and the viewscreen was a chalkboard! Me and a friend would play Star Trek like that. Then we'd "Beam down" by walking out the door to an "alien planet" (The backyard.) and have adventures! We made up a pretty elaborate Star Trek board game once, too. Big poster board with dice, game pieces and squares telling you what to do when you landed on them, cards like monopoly, all that stuff. Fun times!

8. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A tricorder and a Data figurine. Loved the tricorder with the working lights and sounds.

9. Praetor

I liked the medical tricorder, since you could remove the scanner.

10. Trekarama

Trekarama Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was lucky my dad was a big Trek fan. Being a child of the late sixties and early 70's I was fortunate enough to be exposed to some of the earliest Star Trek merchandise. I'm not even sure if some of it was even legally licensed back then. I had 3 felt like tunics (Red, Gold, Blue) with embroidered StarFleet emblems. I had an away team play set consisting of a belt, phaser, communicator and tricorder. I had the Power Records Star Trek comic book/album combos. I had most of the Megos along with the Enterprise bridge.I thought the transporter was the coolest! :lol: I had the Communicator walkie-talkies, several of the AMT models, the electronic Phaser Battle game. I had a goof run of the Gold Key comics.

My favorite toy by far was a tabletop Electronic Starship Battle game. I don't remember the exact name, but it was a black box with a recessed screen, and led graphics. The screen was basically the Enterprises' main console screen. You pressed a button to fire upon enemy ships as they appeared on the screen. If I remember correctly there were some Klingon, Romulan ships, as well as some others I don't remember. This must have been released sometime between 1976 and late 1977.

All of my toys were exremely well played with. Almost all have been lost due to attrition, trading and moving. The thought of saving or collecting never crossed my mind back then. They were made to be enjoyed and shared with friends. In my mid-twenties I started buying some of the old pieces again, but stopped after only a few. I found that my memories far outshined the actual toy itself. The early 70's was a great time to be a kid and a Trek fan! :cool:

Enjoy!

11. erebus

erebus Commander

profile pending deletion request 28/5/2009
    I had a tos enterprise alarm clock with voice and sound effects samples. I must admit i liked to set the alarm off just for the heck of it.

12. David49

David49 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I was born in 1959 so I remember watching the originial (in color) but did not get into it until teen years. I built the original Starship Enterprise plastic model. I loved the hand phaser so much that I made a crude one out of wood. I still have it today.

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A bunch of Playmates TNG stuff.

I had action figures of basically all the main cast, the awesome action-figure sized Type 6 shuttle (And I had a TNG: TM at the time and knew what a Type 6 was! Bless you, Sternbach!) and bridge. I had the Enterprise that had lights and sound, which was activated by 4 buttons on the back of the saucer or the neck or something. I also had the obligatory phaser-tricorder-commbadge 1-2-3 punch.

This is a bit speak-of-the devil because today I caved to my inner child and got the ST: XI communicator, phaser and tricroder.

14. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I was a kid in the 70s, I played with my Mego Star Trek action figures, and the Enterprise bridge playset.

I built the AMT model kits of the Trek ships, and would play with them, along with the figures, as a way of seeing the action play out in "exterior shots." I'd play with the ships, then "cut to" the interior of the ship by playing with the figures.

I'd spend hours creating my own episodes of Star Trek. Those were the days.... :D

Sean

15. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anybody have the walkie talkies that were dressed up as communicators? There was also a communications console I had that could talk to the communicators and send them messages in morse code.

16. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had the phaser and tricorder toys that I'd use when I played Star Trek with the kids up the street (we would often make stories that bore no resemblance to the serieses themselves, but it was FUN, so that was all that counted), and I still have most of the Playmates figures I got in a pillowcase in my closet (since they're fairly used, I considered it the best way to hold on to them.). I think my dog chewed up and destroyed my Neelix figure. (Insert joke here) The Bridge set I got has seen better days, though - I think I can only locate the main stand and a few pieces of the walls at this point. And the transporter set was apparently placed downstairs by my family (why I don't know) and then when the bulbs were all burnt out, I tried to replace them myself, which pretty much did it in.

I also remember getting that big Micro Machines set with a whole bunch of the different ships, and my third grade teacher offering to fix one of the nacelles that had broken off of the original Enterprise and never getting it back.

Oh, and there was also the 'All Good Things...' Enterprise that would shift between the traditional Enterprise-D and the anti-time future version. Loved that thing.

17. Praetor

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one to "play" that way. (Though I was 20 years later. ;))

18. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

WOW am I the only one here who had the OLD Galoob ST TNG figuers? I loved those especialy since that was the only series thet had a ''beard-less'' Riker!

19. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Born in '67, so I had a bunch of the 70s Trek toys as a kid. Built the AMT Enterprise, Klingon Cruiser, Shuttlecraft, Spock shooting the serpents, and the Exploration Set. Played with the Mego bridges and figures. Nearly shot my eye out with one of those tracer guns/"phasers."

Only one of my Mego communicator/walkie-talkies survived, and I have it in a box somewhere.

20. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

Oh damn, I think I've just found my favorite thread lol.

I was born in '89 so I didn't really start to understand and get really into Star Trek till the TNG re-runs in the late '90s. However, my parents were both trekkies so they watched TNG and decided they would get me Star Trek toys. I had about 12 of the Playmates 4.5" TNG action figures. I had the transporter that went with them, and a shuttlecraft set for them as well. I also had the Playmates battle damaged Enterprise D with the two hull pieces that "exploded" off the top of the saucer section. It always bothered me that the top of the ship had all those phaser burns but the underside was untouched... I had the Playmates Innerspace tricorder, phaser, borg-compound-hidden-inside-a-borg-face, and a klingon-temple-thing-hidden-inside-a-klingon-face... (lol). I also had the Playmates Strike Force Enterprise-D, it was a little ship, maybe 6 or 7 inches long. The saucer module detached and the saucer opened up, right along the dorsal phaser array, to reveal what looked like the helm from the bridge surrounded by random computer interfaces on all sides. I had the Playmates science tricorder as well, along with the Voyager style commbadge, and a type II phaser.

That was all I had as a child, however, recently I've taken to being tons of Star Trek stuff, and I now have around 100 of the Playmates 4.5" action figures, the Art Asylum figures of Geordi, Deanna Troi in her lavender outfit, and Locutus, tons of the micromachines ships, all of the Furuta line of starships, a set of the Konami ships, a few of the Johnny Lightning ships, the Art Asylum Enterprise-E from Nemesis, a regular un-phaser burned Playmates Enterprise-D, the Playmates bridge and engineering playsets for TNG, a bridge playset(sort-of) for TOS, and the Mega Blocks Enterprise-D, along with 50 custom made LEGO First Contact era Starfleet officers of various rank, a LEGO EMH, a Mega Blocks Captain Picard, and a LEGO Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. Plus I pre-ordered the new Art Asylum Enterprise-D that is set to ship later this month...

And... I actually manage to use most of these in my spare time... :techman:

My main thing is the 4.5" Plamates action figures though... I'm making it my business to get one of every single one out there if possible... I've looked up so much about them lol, I really think I might know all there is to know about the 4.5" Playmates figures...