Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

You should check out the shots of the dying Klingon in "Heart Of Glory". When they are shooting up his nose you can see where his real nose ends and the fake Klingon one begins, and all the prosthetic glue that was used.

2. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I’m curious if I buy the Blu Ray set today, if it will contain the corrected version or the original "flawed" discs. Will I have to go through the loops of ordering fixed discs after I buy the set? Has anyone tried buying the discs recently, after all the hub-bub? On amazon maybe?

I asked in the audio thread twice, but nobody responded. This thread gets more traffic so I thought I'd try here.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The new discs have a communicator insignia on the discs themselves. I think the boxes on the corrected sets is suppose to have the insignia on the spine of the packaging.

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Well nobody here can give you a definitive answer. They should be the corrected discs, but it's better to ask the place you order from.

5. Mr_Homn

Alright thanks fellas.

6. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

For those unfamiliar, this is from Ben Gourlay's TweakTown interview with Mr. Burnett:

"We're doing this piece called Episode 179: Inside The Writers Room, where we're gonna get Ron Moore of Battlestar Galactica fame and Brannon Braga and Naren Shankar and Rene Echevarria into a room and they're going to take us through the process of breaking a story. The idea that we pitched to them is if All Good Things was not the last episode of the show, and you guys had to come up with another episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, take us through this process, and let's write an episode here and show us how it's done. Because no one's ever really documented how a TV writers room works, and that's something I'm really interested in seeing."

7. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And then they can give us all fangasms by having the cast do a table-read.

C'mon, CBS, make it happen.

8. Maxwell Everett

I agree that would be beyond cool, but they're only going to be "breaking the story", which means sitting in a room and plotting out each act in broad strokes on dry erase boards and writing what is essentially a page and a half treatment (no dialogue).

Unfortunately for us (and fortunately for them!), these writers are still working in the industry and I doubt any of them would have the time to then go off and write a full teleplay for a show that has been off the air for 19 years (by the time the S4 set comes out). Even if one writer took the Teaser and Act One, one of the other three would be saddled with at least two acts (acts are roughly 8-12 pages each).

But back to your idea, there were several teleplays that were written but never shot. One I would particularly like to see read aloud was "Q Makes Two":

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_episodes#Q_Makes_Two

9. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Thanks for that link! I had heard of some of those undeveloped episodes but not nearly all of them. The cool part is I have many of the unauthorized books which they use as citing references. ;)

10. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season ONE Discussion Thread

All the Season TWO posts moved to the new Season TWO thread.

11. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Got my Season 1 discs today. I waited to order from Amazon until other people started receiving the corrected product. Now all I have to do is hook up the new Blu-Ray player that is still in the box. That'll be another 2 weeks due to business travel but patience is a virtue - so they say.

12. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just finished Season One. Loved the remastering and the new special features! It's like TNG is new all over again! The actual season itself... well, it's ok I guess. Definitely my least favourite TNG season, but there were some decent episodes in there.

My top 5 would probably be something like this:

1. Conspiracy
    2. Where No Man Has Gone Before
    3. Arsenal of Freedom
    4. The Big Goodbye
    5. 11001001

Can't wait for Season Two!

13. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am up to the last episode of Season 1. Really have enjoyed this set alot and they have done an incredible job with the remastering!! The special feature documentaries also are extremely well done and engrossing. Very excited for the coming seasons. It really is like its new all over again with how excited I am for Season 2!!

14. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Heart of Glory... WHY after Koris and co. Tell Worf they lied to Picard and commandeered the tellerian freighter, and why after Picard suspects them of hiding something, does Worf waltz them right into main engineering? Basically, when the Klingons admit to Worf the lied, they immediately ask if they can get a tour of the ship AFTER THEY JUST COMMANDEERED one!

Watched this one again tonight and that just stuck out to me like never before.

As a side note, the opening act on the Batris looked absolutely amazing in HD. Anyone else agree?

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

With the opening act, I've kind of wondered why they spent 5 minutes staring in awe at what Geordi sees, when that would be more appropriate at a more leisurely time.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It did seem like a very strange time to dick around with such things. They're on a wrecked/damaged ship trying to mount a rescue and all of the sudden Picard wants to stop the mission and chit-chat about how Geordi sees. You know the situation is pretty fucked up when Riker has to stop and tell Picard to shut up and let them do their actual job.

17. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sorry but that just made me laugh out loud!

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Why are you sorry? It was meant to be funny.

19. Mr_Homn

Got the sets for my birthday the other day. Pretty awesome. I already called the deluxe number and am should be getting my disc replacements in the next week or so. It was actually really easy. I was surprised at how little time I had to spend on the phone.

Anyway, since I didn't want to start watching the episodes yet until I get the fixed discs, I watched all the documentaries. They were really well done, I was surprised at how much material was there that I had never seen/heard. I was REALLY hoping they would surprise me with a picture of Patrick Stewart wearing the infamous wig :lol:, but I guess such documents do not exist. I'm really looking forward to all the fantastic behind the scenes extras these sets will include in the coming years.

The guy who almost played Picard seemed odd to me, but also quite likable and funny. At least he seemed to realized what a mistake turning down that role was, in retrospect. (He called himself a putz)

I was pleasantly surprised that the extras didn't shy away from the "tension" between writers and Gene Roddenberry. That was interesting stuff. They painted him as somewhat paranoid towards the end. Then it shifted to Denise Crosby quitting the show, and with all the other stuff in context, it really gave me a taste of how hopeless the show must have seemed at that time. Arguing writers/crew, rivalries forming, Gerrold talking about how he realized this was not the show he wanted, DC Fontana saying she was through with star trek, an actor leaving the show. We're lucky things worked out!

20. Maxwell Everett