Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By no means the best, but I just listened to the Devil in the Smoke read by Dan Starkey.

Fairley short but read well, I would happily listen to more stories about that trio.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Finished The Dollar Colin Stories.

I really enjoyed Voyage to Venus, it brought a smile to my face when Six mentioned visiting Venus in his second Regeneration and learning their Martial Arts.

Voyage to the New World, was a very interesting idea, but, I didn't really enjoy the story all that much

Doing a relisten to Colin/Evelyn's first story (The Marian Conspiracy)and then it's on to the 2nd through 4th stories

3. Pindar

6 plus Iago and Lightfoot work together really well.

I hope they do more in this series.

4. Pindar

I just listened to the first Destiny of the Doctor book, read by Carol Anne Ford its about events that happen shortly before An Unearthly Child.

It's not bad I'll be interested to see how the arc plays out over each Doctor.

5. Sindatur

Finished Evelyn's second story, The Spectre of Lanyon Moor. Really enjoyed this one, and it had the bonus of The Brigadier guest Starring, which was really cool. Though, a little continuity snafu, as I watched Battlefield last night and Seven didn't know who Doris was, even though the Brig told Six in this story that she is his wife.

Popped in Evelyn's third story, The Apocalypse Element, on my drive this morning, looking forward to his one, as it appears to be set on Gallifrey and I always enjoy the Political machinations of the Timelords and Romana is a great plus

Destiny of the Doctor? Is that an Anniversary Series?

Oh, and Lungbarrow is impossible to get ahold of, are there any Audios that advance Cartmel's Master Plan, by any chance? It's really a bummer Doctor Who was cancelled in Season 26 when that Arc had just started to bubble and never got the chance to come to fruition, I would've liked to see it all play out.

6. Pindar

7. Sindatur

Sounds very cool. I'm likely to get these when they're all out (My listening backlog is pretty large at the moment)

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Well, yes and no. It's co-produced between Big Finish and BBC Audio. It's an unusual series, in that it is sort of a series of third-person companion chronicles.

Because of the co-production, you cannot buy a CD and get the download with it free. This has annoyed some fans (they've posted on the Big Finish forums complaining).

Prices are around $17 per cd, but you can order from Book Depository for about $11 each.

For the first month each title is released, you can download it from audio2go for $2 ... after the 30 days, it goes up to full price. I'd rather have the CD though. That's just me.

9. Pindar

It does annoy me a bit that the UK has to pay more for the Big Finish downloads. $2.00 for you and £3.99 for us.

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's supply and demand for you!

11. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Big Finish produced the "lost stories" of Season 27 with Andrew Cartmel script-editing, but they're awful. Seriously, they're nearly complete crap. If Season 27 had been like that, we were better off with the cancellation, but I can't believe that the real Season 27 would have been anything like that one. All sense of character is lost, the stories are bloated and meandering instead of tight and incomprehensible, and they just retread old ideas, and there's not even a hint of the bigger, more mythic Doctor we saw in Seasons 25-26.

http://unreality-sf.net/2011/08/04/doctor-who-the-lost-stories-thin-ice-review/
    http://unreality-sf.net/2011/08/12/doctor-who-crime-of-the-century-review/
    http://unreality-sf.net/2011/08/17/doctor-who-the-lost-stories-animal-review/
    http://unreality-sf.net/2011/09/25/doctor-who-the-lost-stories-earth-aid-review/

Beth Chalmers is pretty good as new companion Raine, though.

12. Sindatur

Yea, if it's notforwrding "Cartmel's Master plan", then, yea, I'm no all that interested, especially, if as you say, they aren't that great. Thanks (I've got enough Audios to catch up on, what with the Six/Evelyn stories, the Charlie/Eight stories for a start, and so many other categories)

13. Pindar

BBC released an ebook version of Lungbarrow which was free and is still floating around online.

I presume even though the beeb don't have it on their site that its still legit.

14. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not "legit" in the sense of being legal-- Lungbarrow and the other BBC website e-books were contracted for distribution by the BBC website only, so spreading copies now that they've been removed from the site is outside the terms the authors agreed to. Whether it's ethical is another question.

15. Pindar

I did mean legal, that's why I didn't post a link to where I saw it on google.

Putting an ebook online for free though is kind of a cat out of the bag situation.

16. Sindatur

I'm almost done with my CLassic Who Rewatch (Started with Troughton in Jan or Feb and straight through to McCoy). I'm up to Curse of Fenric

I seem to recall hearing that there is an Audioplay "Sequel" to Survivor where The Master is still in "Cat Mode". Is this true? If so what's it called and is it any good?

I've listened to abut half of Evelyn's 3rd story The Apocalypse Element and I am enjoying it immensely. OmahaStar, I am becoming very attached to Evelyn, thanks. I'm liking her attitude more and more as the stories move forward (Though Charley's a bit pissed, bcause she's been waiting quite some time for me to cotinue with her adventures :alienblush:)

17. OmahaStar

Do you have all of Evelyn's stories? If not, this will be of interest to you.

Big Finish is having a "Big Finish 3" convention in the UK, with several of their actors (including Tom Baker and David Warner) signing. For those of us who can't make it, they are doing a "5 pound sale" ... Whether you get the CD or the download, it's 5 pounds ($7.47) ... They got five of their top management, and each of them picked two stories for the sale. They include:

1 - The Judgement of Isskar (5)
    2 - Son of the Dragon (5)
    3 - The Elite (5 with Tegan)
    4 - A Death in the Family (7, WITH EVELYN)
    5 - Eternal Summer (5)
    6 - The Girl Who Never Was (8)
    7 - The Condemned (6)
    8 - Cradle of the Snake (5 with Tegan)
    9 - Peri and the Piscon Paradox (5 and 6; companion chronicle with Colin Baker as the second reader!)
    10 - Jago and Litefoot: Series 1 (5 per disc, so 20 pounds - $29.86 US)

http://bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-ten-of-the-best-special-offer

Good for this weekend only.

18. Sindatur

Nope, I just have the first 4, buying them in order.

Hmmmm...Wkik'ing it, I see A Death in the Family is with Ace and Seven, where'd that come from? (Don't tell me if it's really spoilery)

Looks like I'll have to buy that one, and hang onto it until I get there

19. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

It's somewhat spoilery. Keep listening to the Evelyn audios in order, and you'll find out how she ends up connected to the seventh Doctor.

I don't think there are any post-"Survival" audios where the Master is in "Cat Mode." There are, however, a couple where his Trakenite body has degenerated into a corpse-like state, allowing Geoffrey Beevers to return in the role. Those are the seventh Doctor stories Dust Breeding and Master. The first is all right but nothing earth-shattering; the second is very spooky even if its mythic elements don't quite work. The Beevers Master also reappears in the first series of Fourth Doctor Adventures.

20. OmahaStar

As Brendan said, listen to them in order. The timeline works something like this ...

Six with Peri ... Peri departs and marries the quiet guy
    Six travels alone. And sometimes with Frobisher.
    Six meets Evelyn, they travel together. She is keeping a massive secret from him, which you heard right at the beginning - she has a weak heart.
    Older and wiser, Six changes his costume to an indigo version (the blue costume seen in "Real Time").
    Evelyn decides to stop traveling. She makes the Doctor one of her famous chocolate cakes as a goodbye present. ("The Wrong Doctors")
    Immediately after, Six decides it's time to pick up Mel and travel with her. He changes his costume back to the original technicolor dream version. ("The Wrong Doctors")

We've seen times before where the Doctor meets up with a past companion and has adventures (or just one) with them. Two Doctors, for example. City of Spires for another (Six with Jamie again). At some future point, Seven meets up with Evelyn and has another adventure with her. That's that story.

Other Six and Evelyn stories have come out since then ... just know that at some point in her future, she leaves. That happens with every companion sooner or later.