Fringe: "Pilot" 9/9 - Grading & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Sep 9, 2008.

?

Grading

1. Excellent (J.J. Abrams has done it again)

24 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. Above average (The rule of Gondor is mine! And no other's!)

45 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Average (This Eddie's not so keen)

38 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. Below average (I don't care what the numbers mean anymore, Abaddon)

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Poor (Pacey should go back to the Creek)

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The run time is listed at 95 minutes for those of you who are recording it.

FBI agents Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv) and Peter Bishop (Joshua Jackson) are faced with a rapidly spreading unexplained phenomenon of the threatening kind. In an attempt to stop the spread, they enlist the assistance of Bishop's estranged father, the institutionalized scientist Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble).

[​IMG]

When all the passengers on a plane die, FBI agent Olivia Dunham investigates the events and while on the investigation her partner, John Scott, almost dies. A desperate Olivia looks for help and finds Dr. Walter Bishop, but he cannot help her because he has been institutionalized. The only way to even question him is with the help of his son Peter. Olivia continues her investigations leading her to Nina Sharp, a manipulative executive. Olivia, Peter and Dr. Bishop will begin to discover what really happened on Flight 627 and begin to uncover a larger truth.

2. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I voted excellent. I really enjoyed that episode, it's very reminiscent of the X-Files but not in a rehash kind of way. They already have set-up interesting characters especially "Lady Tetsuo" (you'll understand why ;) )and what she might be up to.
    I also enjoyed the "in-picture captions"...

3. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to this, if only to see just how similar (or not) it is to X-Files. The pilot sounds really intriguing.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw the pilot a few months back and thought it was alright, it came off as a very episodic concept though, which really puts me off of shows these days.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I'd say it was somewhere between Average and Above Average, nothing fantastic, but it has potential

6. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw the pilot at comic-con, and I really enjoyed it. There are echos of X-Files here, but it's really a different animal.

Anna Torv does a great job, but she needs to work on her accent. It tends to slip from time to time. Our mad scientist is a great character, and feels like a laid back Doc Brown in many scenes.

I could do without the son, but I am hoping they find something constructive for him to do.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the pilot back in April or whatever. It held my attention for an hour and a half, so I'm looking forward to the second episode. I actually might rewatch the pilot considering it's probably changed a little bit. I know they were using Lost music during the episode at one point.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted Above Average, I too saw this at SDCC back in July.
    The USA Today article had a comment from someone, Josh Jackson I think, calling it X-Files meets Indy Jones. I say no.

Yes it has shade of X-Files in the pilot. As the series goes on though I can see where it might become more than just shades of it though.

Despite JJ Abrams saying he doesn't want a precedual show ala CSI I think the show is set up to go that route. I'll assume it doesn't take that path in the episodes to come cause JJ, in theory, wouldn't take it that way based on his statments.

I think a better tag line is X-Files meets BONES, at least based on the first episode.
    Creepy, out there cases.
    Eccentric characters.
    Characters who are intense yet knowledgable.
    Witty comedy in just the right doses.

Looking forward to rewatching this tonight to see how it holds up upon a second viewing some months removed from my first viewing.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

"redundancy"

I think I spotted an accent slip :)

"who says it's terrorism?"

*music builds up like Lost*

all that was missing was the "DUM!" that Lost uses to cut to commericals or end the episode heh

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one that hasn't seen this already?

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Nope, I'm watching it for the first time. Definately a creepy beginning, I'll say that

12. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm watching it for first time.

The germans melting was definitely Raiders of the lost ark vibes heh

13. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I'm watching it for the first time also and so far it's not grabbing me.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be seeing it for the first time tonight - I'm kinda traditionalist about not watching pilot eps unless the subsequent eps are available either on broadcast or via DVD. What if I like the pilot!?! I hate having to wait! :rommie:

15. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

John Noble is great. He's really got the brilliant but slightly off-his-rocker scientist down perfectly.

16. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I hear ya, Temis, it's like waiting for the next season of a show after watching the cliffhanger season finale.

Or waiting for Abrams' Star Trek.

:devil:

17. Mr. Adventure

Not liking the boss guy, I know what they're going for with the character but he's rubbing me the wrong way.

18. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

"After six hours is when they're really dead."

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

"excellent! lets make some LSD"

like it's a normal thing heh

20. Mr. Adventure

I guess it's not everyday when the heroine of a network TV series is doing LSD.