TRON: Legacy - Review and Grading

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Dec 16, 2010.

?

Your rating on "TRON: Legacy" ?

1. Excellent! It should be permanently installed!

63 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Good - could use an upgrade or two but overall stable and inventive

89 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Average - Hold its oen with Tron 1982.

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Poor - nice to look at but I then it abends all over the place

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Should be immediately de-resed!!!

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Box Office Mojo:

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

It was the actual disc. I compared it in the same scene to where Quorra's disc was supposed to be--which had also been taken off at the time; that was not what the mount looks like. The mount is supposed to be unlit, and WAS unlit in the actual scene where the disc was stolen.

And to ChristmasJones--they were still ON the solar sail. They hadn't gone to create a distraction yet. This was before they discovered Clu's new station.

3. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Maybe he saw that as an inevitable consequence of going after his son, and already dealt with it before leaving. Saying "I told you so!" is petty, seldom productive, and definitely not something you'd have a character portrayed as "wise" spewing. I understand how it looks dramatically, but I think it's a consistent portrayal.

4. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I completely disagree, regarding the Inception soundtrack. However, if you read the liner notes that come with the CD, it is very clear that Nolan DID have significant say in what the final product was like, in that instance. If you're curious, I can actually transcribe it for you.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I still think it's a small miracle the film got made at all. I'm glad it did.

6. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, okay -- thank you for the clarification. :)

7. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    At this point, I'm personally disappointed it's not pulling in more. My hope now is that it makes back most of the production cost, and then does gangbusters business on DVD. I really would be surprised if a second film went ahead, though last I heard the TV show is still moving forward (but that could change).

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's making about what I expected it to. I think the studio was a little overoptimistic in their expectations.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I liked Tron Legacy a great deal but it's a 28-year-old remake of a cult film that did very poorly when it was first released. The fact that it's done as well as it has speaks well of it.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I have this exact same sentiment. I think the studio had overlarge expectations for the film based on media pre-hype for the film. It's an entertaining sci-fi romp.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it was green-lit long before Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim "underperformed"...I doubt it'd have been made after this year, but once they did make it, they couldn't really go "well, never mind, we don't think it'll do too well after all", now, could they? They had to keep their game faces on. :p

12. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I still have hope that there will be another. I also have an idea that DVD sales will be through the roof and that sountrack sales will continue to be strong.

I somehow didn't know there was a TV show being developed, so let's hope it's a strong product that continues interest in the franchise.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

$160 million worldwide in 11 days of release...now that's not bad at all. :bolian:

RAMA

14. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

OK, I've seen it. WHAT a beautiful looking film. I actually liked that the pace slowed a couple of times so I could appreciate what I was seeing. I saw the original in the theatre at age 14 and can appreciate just how far filmmaking has come since 1982. This was my first 3D movie and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the experience. One thing's for sure, seeing the original really helps put this one into context. I pity all the young'ns who skipped the original for whatever reason.
    I thought the plot was very interesting in a sci-fi kind of way. Liked the idea of Clu wanting to invade our imperfect world and am glad the filmmakers didn't spend lots of time explaining how that was going to come to pass. Thought the ending was perfect and felt a sense of finality about it. I don't think we really need a sequel now, although I'd certainly like to spend another two hours in that world.

15. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Wow, I finally managed to see the film. An Excellent grade from me, or an A-. (very close to a real A though)

My only complaint was that I wish Tron would have removed his helmet once he 'reawakened' at the end - and give him a one on one fight with Clu at the end.

But otherwise it was all awesome. The visuals, the music, the acting, the 3D.
    (best use of 3D since Avatar, which should not be surprising since the 3D scenes were shot in 3D using the same 3D cameras that Cameron used for Avatar)

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot, what does the acronym C.L.U. stand for in this film?

Also, somebody said that the old style tanks from the original film also appear here. I couldn't find them anywhere (not even on Clu's supercarrier). What did I miss?

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They were on the streets the first time Sam enters the Grid. You didn't see them for long.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Codified Utility Likeness, I think.

19. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok.. so now I have this question.. In Legacy, Flynn creates an entirely new grid, based on the "world of Tron" from the first movie... He starts off by creating Clu.. Right.. Got that... But how did he get a hold of Tron? Did Alan assist Flynn in creating the new world, but was kept in the dark about where Flynn was doing his work?

Or did Alan just assign Tron to assist Flynn, giving him carte blanc to use Tron how he saw fit and then walk away?

Or should I just stop over thinking it and the enjoy the film? :)

20. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as Alan was concerned Tron wasn't a "person" living in the computer world, it was just another program.

"Hey, Alan, I'm working on this top secret project. Think I could use that security program you came up with?"

"Sure. Why not?"