Facebook... officially lame

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Guartho, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see that a couple of days ago my mom joined FaceBook and wants to be my friend now. It's all over. I long for the halcyon days of college-only Facebook.

Due to my mother's presence FaceBook is now officially lame. TrekBBS appears to still be safe.

2. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

^ :guffaw::guffaw:

Did you look in the New Members list? Guartho's Mom just signed up.

3. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

You laugh now. Just wait until your dad signs up.

4. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dad already signed up. That I can deal with though as he didn't try to friend me.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

There was a story on the Internet the other day about a woman who realised her relationship with her daughter had fallen apart after they had an argument and then discovered that her daughter had removed her as a friend on Facebook.

6. Crusher Disciple

You befriended your kids yet?

7. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Nope. Not a chance in hell. I give them their space, I'm by no means a "clingy parent".

8. Crusher Disciple

9. Omnius

Omnius Vice Admiral Admiral

I still have my mom's friend request unanswered. As long as she doesn't start asking questions or disowns me, that's fine by me!

Some time ago she mentioned to me if I knew someone nicknamed Ominous Squirrel.. I went :borg: and just ignored her. I later found out, she had googled my msn email address, and found trekbbs (it was halloween at the time). I removed it after that! But I'm still worried... maybe she's lurking... :eek:

10. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Facebook has been lame since they let high schoolers join in 2006 or so. :borg:

11. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Facebook is safe for me - though both my parents have me on Bebo. Considering the amount of sleaze I speak on there, I'm glad my mother can't remember her password. Though it's the primary communication with my father.

A couple of years ago I read a report that had me in stiches.

A journalist, a paid professional journalist, reported that wrestler Test and Kelly Kelly had just started a relationship. His proof? This paid professional journalists proof that this entire article was based on? She made him his top friend on MySpace.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^:lol:

It's actually true though, they only recently broke up (apparently because he's not dealing very well with her being still in the wrestling business while he's not getting any bookings).

13. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

Oh you have just given me the most fun idea :guffaw:. My son is going to hate you :D

14. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's still lightyears better than My Space ever was. But two things made me think twice about it.

1) My friend's 12 year old daughter sent me a friend request.

2) My high school drama teacher sent me a friend request and then promptly described me "beefy."

I still flat out refuse to Twitter. That's really fucking lame when we hear about US congressmen Twittering during the president's address. And it's shit like "all the senators got the good seats."

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Markas

Markas Captain Captain

I have a friend who's 75 year old mom friended him on FB. Good lord!

17. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

After seeing his asking price, I'm not surprised :lol:

A married mate of mine just set his status to 'single'. I may have to send him this...

It's nuts how important these things seem to be to some people. I used to date a girl who went nuts when I wouldn't add her to my friends list on LiveJournal (which I use to stay in contact with a few close friends, the kind of friends you can tell things you can't tel your girlfriend).

I've had others who were pissed that my status was single. I feel like adopting a Micheal Winner voice and saying "Calm down dear, it's just the internet."

18. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have my mother, grandmother and three aunts on Facebook. Now that I'm more or less and "adult" graduated from college and in the workplace, I actually like it. It's not like they going to "catch" me doing something, lol-- but you're quite right, Facebook has gone from "cool" to just another way that people communicate and stay in touch. I'm glad it's the latter.

My fiancee and I joked that nobody considered us officially dating until it was "facebook official"

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Oh really ? :cool:

20. blablover5

blablover5 Admiral Admiral

My Aunt tracked me down on facebook but luckily I have her on my other account. I made two back when it was only college e-mail address' and I went away to grad school.

I miss the days of it just being college students too.