April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Tiberius Jim, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has been a long, long time since I've done any Trek art, but I was intrigued by the theme this month. Since I don't have much in the way of 3D modeling or scene creation experience, I utilized some high quality Bridge Commander models and some composting work. I tried to give a look at a famous scene from a perspective we never saw. I was going for kind of a painted/faded film look.

[​IMG]

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'm not really getting the theme here (Yes, I can see why you did this)

4. Tiberius Jim

Enterprise (beauty) vs. Reliant (the beast)

5. Finn

I don't think the Miranda Class is ugly or beastly.

I don't see any "Beauty and the Beast" imagery in yours. It's a nice picture...really.

6. Tiberius Jim

Not so much in looks as in who was commanding her at the time.

7. Finn

The beast wasn't a baddie soo ;)

8. Tiberius Jim

Well, I'm open to suggestions. What imagery says "beauty and the beast" to you?

9. Finn

Just enter it if you want. Don't change based on the opinion of one poster you don't actually know. Others might like it just fine (aside from Kaiser who thinks all art is epic or awesome).

10. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

reliant, with a distinctly redder cast of light, impulse and other red lighting visible, firing bright orange blasts from its phasers... clearly the beast, i think.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm with Finn on this one. It's just one Federation ship firing on another, and there's no context at all without knowing the history behind the image. Subtle lighting does not a beast make.

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Hold on! are there any Star Trek fans on this board who don't get the context here?

This is like stumbling into a catholic church and seeing a sculpture of some lanky sad looking dude on a cross and asking for the context.

Really? We get it.

--Alex

13. Tiberius Jim

Exactly. The red lighting was inspired by the SFX guys in TWOk itself who gave the Reliant model some red lights in certain places to make it seem more "evil" to the viewer.

Thank you. I was under the impression that I didn't need to spell out the context when it relates to one of the most storied films in the franchise this entire site is about. I would imagine that with the lighting and the fact that one ship is clearly attacking the other, even an uninitiated viewer could tell who the aggressor is.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like it; the intention was obvious at first glance.

15. Finn

Bad analogy. I knew what Flux had in mind. I just didn't think the image was a good fit for the theme.

I'd go for an image that even a casual fan would get. The other entry would be understood even by some of those who don't follow Trek. I'm gonna bet many casual viewers who have seen several movies and watched some episodes once in a while won't get Flux's entry.

16. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

casual fans are irrelevant. they don't vote on Trek BBS art contests.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Fine, so let's put it in context as Star Trek fans.

In this context, Reliant herself isn't the beast. The beast is the genetically engineered a-hole that hijacked her. Do you see an image of Khan anywhere? No. Do you see any of his crew? No. What you see here is one Federation Starship firing on (but not yet hitting) another Federation Starship, and, I reiterate, two contemporaneous Federation Starships alone in one shot does not provide enough contrast to name one "Beauty" and one "Beast", no matter how much red lighting you add.

18. Finn

Most Trek fans don't post in trek message boards...

The point is I'm not gonna judge an piece of photoshopped art based on who posts and votes here. It'd be like Egbert giving two thumbs to a movie based on a small of people who go to see it and likes it when everybody else didn't see it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  19. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I got what the image was the second I saw it.

The Enterprise\Reliant battle is probably the most well known Star Trek battle ever. You don't need to see Khan. We're on a Star Trek board and the Fan Art section is populated by people who are so enthralled by Star Trek that they feel compelled to make art about it. The people visiting Fan Art love the show enough to view amateur artwork based on Star Trek. It's safe to say they got what Flux was going for here.

20. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guys, this is supposed to be fun. No need to argue about his entry. Don't like it then don't vote for it.