Cast the new Batman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dark Gilligan, Jul 23, 2013.

1. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I posted this in the new movie thread. It's probably not accepted protocol to repost, but I think it bears repeating. Here it is:

The thing with casting superheroes is, IMO, getting the main part of the character right. If you're casting Superman, you have to cast Superman. Anybody can play Clark Kent. If you're casting Iron Man, you have to cast Tony Stark. If you're casting Batman, you have to cast Batman. Anybody can play Bruce Wayne.

My opinion is that Christian Bale's Batman sucked. I've held back on that because he's so popular around these parts. But the lispy, mouth-breathing dog-barking Batman in the extremely bad cowl and the velvet cape and the motorcycle armor just isn't believable to me. I don't buy it.

Batman is a badass. Christian Bale is not. None of those pretty boys on that list are not either. I doubt they could convey the internal pain that is the reason for the Batman's existence, much less pull it off in the suit. Those guys might be ok as Bruce Wayne, but they're not Batman.

Read this, from Kevin Porter:

This guy knows the role, and would do a hell of a job. DC already employs him for public appearances. He has big screen experience. It's not much of a stretch for me to see him in a lead role in a major motion picture.

[​IMG]

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kevin Porter sucks.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

With how often you've posted about Kevin Porter, makes me wonder if you're his agent.

Warner will greenlight a $100 million Batman & Robin 2 directed by Brett Ratner before Kevin Porter will get cast in the Superman sequel.

4. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Blahblahblah.

I'm not afraid to call bullshit if I see it, and Nolan's Bat films were way overrated. Bale was not a good Batman.

I'm not afraid to push talent when I see it, and Kevin Porter is the best Batman I've ever seen. Apparently DC like him, because they keep putting him in the suit.

If you don't like it, fine. No skin off my hiney. But the way they've been playing Batman in films the last several years makes him come off as a wuss. Batman is not a wuss.

But hey, I've been around the block a couple of times. It really doesn't make a crap to me what a bunch of teenchatters on a forum say. My word is as big as anyone else's here.

Would you rather have the new Batman a skinny little girly man in a bunch of armor, or a real grownup Batman who has suffered and channeled that suffering, building himself into the Batman that we know through history?

I know what I want to see, and it's not some pretty boy in 50 pounds of motorcycle suit.

But that's my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Those would be my two choices and I would be happier with either of them. Although I think Caviezel can come across more serious.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean like Pierce Brosnan and Remington Steele/James Bond. Yeah Hollywood would never do that.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Or Roger Moore and The Saint? The difference was though that neither series was in production at the time the actors moved to the big screen.

8. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Looks a bit like Cavill. Which would be perfect if they did one of those wacky Silver Age stories where Superman and Batman impersonate each other.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Actually, Remington Steele's production schedule prevented Brosnan from taking the role in the 1980s. As someone else pointed out, he didn't take the role up until the show was off-air. But they did cast him (first time) when the show was still fresh in viewers' memories, so your point does stand.

11. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

Adam West

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In fact, the Bond people specifically wouldn't take him as long as he was still appearing on Remington Steele, and the Steele people played hardball, not letting Brosnan go. Thus the Bond producers had to go to Dalton.

13. Captaindemotion

^I've heard it told different ways, including the way you describe. I've also heard that NBC had cancelled RS due to low ratings, which freed him up for 007. However, on the back of the publicity created by Brosnan landing the Bond job, the tv show's ratings went back up, so NBC cancelled the cancellation.

This stopped him playing Bond, either because of his contractual obligations simply stopping him having the time to film it or because Cubby Broccoli didn't want a tv actor in the lead. Of course, RS was then cancelled the following year anyway!

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Matt Bomer is a tenor. He has a good voice for Superman -- having just played the role in the DVD movie Superman Unbound -- but not for Batman.

How about Peter Capaldi? ;)

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

BOOM; nailed it. Time to bring Clooney back into the fold. :rommie:

16. Captaindemotion

^Might be interesting to see him amend for his past sins in something like The Dark Knight Returns but I don't really see it happening.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

"Sins?" B&R wasn't good (though for the self-mocking romp it is, it isn't horrible either), but Clooney's performance wasn't at all lacking, given the context.

18. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

And Sean Connery plays Alfred. Let's go "full Scottish".:techman:

19. Captaindemotion

Well, my post wasn't entirely serious but I do think his performance was pretty horrible in it. But nobody could have saved that dog of a movie, IMHO.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Clooney's performance in B&R suffered from the script and direction he had to work with. But there were glimmers of a really good performance in there trying to get out. And he did come closer to the image of Bruce Wayne, square-jawed billionaire playboy than any other actor to play the role in live action.