DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the Morrison/Reis pants/workers outfit for Clark. It suits him more than his ridiculous armor and I'm assuming there is black because "Darkseid War" is happening starting in June. Also dig the Diana redesign.

2. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I rather like the new WW outfit, but not really digging the Superman one.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Barry and Ollie have new costumes too.
    [​IMG]

4. Admiral_Young

I like those as well...

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman's outfit is cool, but it is not going to be around for more than a story arc. DC/Warner has too much money in toy connections etc. I like the 52 concept that his suit is a form of Kryptonian dress but he is totally comfortable in the t-shirt and jeans look when necessary.

Now, this could be a sort of "blue Superman" transition back to his old costume (pre 2011)--I wouldn't rule that out.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of like the new WW desing, although if it were me I would lose the shoulder pads, shrink down the gold on her chest, and turn the guantlets into just her bracelets.
    I think the T-shirt and jeans look works for Superman when he is first starting out, but it seems a little weird to go back to it after he's been wearing regular costumes. I could see if there's a story reason for it though.
    I like the new Flash costume. I like it better when they break up the single colors a little bit like that. Green Arrow's is pretty good too, I'm kind of surprised they actually moved farther away from the Arrow costume. I would have expected them to go closer to it if anything.

I know Perez's run on WW is one of the classics, so I'm thinking I might start there.

7. M.A.C.O.

More new costumes
    Green Gauntlet!
    [​IMG]

May or may not be a new Bat Family member or Batman himself
    [​IMG]

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    Those antenna on the helmet look highly improbable to the point of looking 90s Liefeld silly.
    It does not look practical in any case.

9. M.A.C.O.

Well it's Batman in the suit. Saw the suit from the front and there is the emblem.
    Batman/Superman
    [​IMG]

Detective Comics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Batman's armor makes me think of Briareos from Appleseed. I can't imagine any of these new looks will be lasting all that long. If time has taught us anything it's that the iconic looks come back sooner or later. There's no way they'll be publishing a Batman comic with an outfit that is not even identifiable as Batman.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The new editor on the Batbooks has been willing to do all sorts of strange shit. Personally I think he would do it. He did approve of Grayson and Gotham Academy after all.

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So, is Hal Jordan now homeless? Also, did he steal the Infinity Gauntlet? :rommie: I know I haven't read GL in awhile, but I can't imagine that redesign having an interesting story behind it. The Bat-Bunny is stupid, but I did laugh at the pic of him and Conner...I mean "Superman". Wonder Woman looks goofy and The Flash looks stupid, but Green Arrow looks ok. Its a bit too busy for my taste, but its not horrible.

13. OdoWanKenobi

^Basically, a Durlan (shapeshifting alien) posed as Hal and made a broadcast to the universe that turned everyone against the Corps. Hal believed that the only way the Corps can get back in their good graces is if he offered himself up as a scapegoat. So he stole Krona's gauntlet, and left Mogo making it look like he had gone rogue. Only Kilowog knows the truth.

Edit: Whoops, I meant Mogo. Oa has been destroyed.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  14. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked io9's take on the uniform

15. M.A.C.O.

Thanks for the update. I've been catching up with Marvel for the past year and a half.

Explains this picture
    [​IMG]

16. OdoWanKenobi

^Yeah. Kilowog made Hal beat him up pretty badly on his way out so that it would look convincing.

17. Admiral_Young

Fans are calling the new armor the CHAPPIE suit. I don't really have an opinion on it one way or another. I'm sure Snyder and Capullo will reveal the point of it in their arc that it pertains to.

What's wrong with "Gotham Academy"? I'm loving the hell out it so far. It's fresh to have such a fun book in such a dark world. It will be interesting to see how Damian fits in when he joins.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good lord.

Every one in the universe watches the news?

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

the thing I cannot get over with GL's new look is how ugly it is - a glove attached by a pipe connected to a dustbin lid?

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a very out of place title that you wouldn't have seen during the Mike Marts editorial era (thank God he left for Marvel) or even the O'Neil era and speaks of the current Bat editorial's attempts at trying to make each of their titles unique and less dependent on the central Batbook.

It's a good thing, but it would never have been a thing early into the Nu52 or during the post-Crisis era.