Chris Pine Signed up for two more Star Trek movies

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MikeS, May 3, 2013.

1. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd rather they come up with some new interesting threat or enemy that involves the Enterprise exploring space and such :) I don't want to see each movie trod out a new re-imagine classic Trek villain, because that becomes too formulaic and takes the focus off of the actual adventure of the crew, and you know actually trekking among the stars.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fun fact: The Nibiru mission in STID's opening scene is the first time a Trek move has actually shown any exploration.

Anyway, the Abrams series has already established that all it is is a big-budget reimagining of Trek, and therefore it only makes sense that each movie will trot out the franchise's most popular villains and aliens rather than doing anything new or original. That's baiscally Hollywood's credo in general at the moment.

Besides, even the Abramsverse comics are just adaptations of TOS episodes as opposed to anything new. Even Countdown to Darkness is a cross between A Private Little War and The Omega Glory.

3. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

While I do want completely new stories too, rehashing old stories makes sense. On one hand, the changes between universes were rarely been dramatic in Star Trek, look at how close the Mirror Universe was to the main universe. On the other, Botany Bay is floating in space, the whale probe is coming towards the Earth, not revising some of them would be a weird choice. Those are big events that are happening in the new timeline, possibly under new and much more interesting circumstances. Why would you pass the opportunity to use them?

I am actually quite content if STID story is what I think it is. It is a new story, telling new events from a new angle, I don't see nothing rehashed. As a revisit, it will only add to what we saw in TOS, adding more depth to the old characters, much like STXI did for me with Uhura, let us explore alternative life histories, give us a peek into Federation dirty business, and show us a lot of brand new things (of my favourite kind, I might add).

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

What were Chekov and Terrell doing when they thought they were beaming down to the garden spot of Ceti Alpha VI?

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was more of a research mission, IMO, but would it satisfy you if I rephrased that and said the Nibiru mission is the first time a Trek movie has shown the Enterprise (any Enterprise) doing any exploring?

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  6. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Unfortunately zombies are in right now.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, Wormhole, that's probably more specific. :)

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Spock explores the interior of Vejur in TMP.

Spock explores "the undiscovered country" between STs II and III.

Saavik and David explore the Genesis Planet in ST III.

Kirk and his crew explore 1986 San Francisco in ST IV.

The Excelsior is returning from exploring and cataloguing gaseous anomalies for three years in ST VI.

There was an original two-parter featuring Sarek and the Romulans. The "Tribbles" two-parter told an all-new story. The Keenser one-shot was original. The last few solo character stories have been prequels.

9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

And the Enterprise D was charting gaseous anomalies...

10. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not as far as I know. It was a piece written specifically for ST:ID (perhaps not exclusively for the Mirror). The interview was exactly as I've quoted.

Last edited: May 4, 2013