stalkin' my peeps - Welcome New Members thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by alibee, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Hi to all the new guys. :)

2. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Seconded since I have been away from this part of the board for a while - hello :)

3. Australis

And you've only got a year to post before it's all over, so get cracking! :)

4. kirsten187

Before what's all over?

5. Australis

[doomy voice] THE ENNNND OF THE WOOOORRLLLDD!![/doomy voice]

6. kirsten187

Ah yes, that thing.

7. Australis

^ :lol: I like you.

8. kirsten187

Why, thank you. I assume I should take that as a compliment?! :)

9. Australis

Oh yes... though some may tell you to run for the hills and don't look back. :D I like an elegant understatement.

10. Tank.

Tank. Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello ERRbody I'm new to the forums. I watched some trek years ago, but nowadays I'm into Battlestar Galactica.

11. kirsten187

I try my best :)

12. HWLights1992

HWLights1992 Ensign Newbie

Hey, I'm new around here. As of this posting I have been a member of this forum for about....5 minutes or so. I didn't see a dedicated forum for introductions so I'll just fill the stuff I would normally put in a thread in this post...

I'm Dan. 19, and an aspiring writer/actor. I'm a movie buff so I spend a lot of time watching movies and growing up I was always a Star Wars kid. Watched the movies, bought the merch, and helped fill George Lucas' ego, a crime I am still guilty of to this day. That being said, I was always anti-Star Trek. To me George Lucas was the master of Sci-Fi and Star Trek was nothing more than a cheap knockoff of it (at this point you can probably figure that I had only seen stuff from TNG on). Anyway, I went on with this mentality for quite sometime until finally deciding to cave in and just take a look at the older Star Trek stuff, from TOS era. So i took the time to watch an episode online and I hate to admit it but I loved it. Heck I loved it enough to pick the first season up on blu ray at the local video store. I'm about halfway through the first season so far (I've been side tracked with various things) but it grew on me enough that I also picked up the Original Motion Picture Collection and I have spent the last few days watching through the films. My god, they are brilliant. I'm not sure what I like more: seeing the shows translated so well to film, the quips from Bones to and about Spock. I just finished watching TVH and I think it may just be the funniest one in the series but I loved every minute of it. In fact Star Trek II and III are on the list of few films that actually can invoke tears from me.

Anyway before I ramble anymore here I am,

Live Long and Prosper,

Dan....

....The Star Trek n00b

13. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome Tank. and HWLights1992!

Glad to hear that you didn't remain close-minded about Trek. I do take issue with you saying that you felt Lucas was the master of Sci-Fi... since Star Wars has never been, nor will it ever be Sci-Fi in the strickest sense. In fact Lucas has never called it Sci-Fi he says its 'Space Opera'.

14. GoldsBawHair

GoldsBawHair Lieutenant Junior Grade

15. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

16. kirsten187

Now, now, stop hurling and pulling faces.

17. Australis

This Will End Well.

(PS I speak scotese, I know what your name means)

18. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to you! I hope you enjoy your time here. And The Wrath of Khan can always invoke tears in me, so you're not alone.

19. Kalontas

Kalontas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If you keep seeing "I've been a fan of Star Trek for X years" posts all the time, here's one for the change of pace.

Up to about a month ago I had virtually no knowledge of Star Trek. There was a few Voyager episodes that ran on national television over here and I faintly remember Neelix (Kneelix? Keelix? the one with the funny hairdo) and the episode with two Ferengis who made themselves a religion. That's almost all I remembered of Star Trek, save for some pop-cultural osmosis to places I visited or other shows. So I naturally knew about Spock, Kirk & co., but only from second hand. So what happened? In December I decided to check it out first-hand.

And I loved it! The first few episodes were getting better and better, and even since then had only few mediocre episodes and no bad ones, so far. While I'm now a Doctor Who fan, I can see why in the 60s people preferred Star Trek - '60s Who was kinda dull, while Trek was already top notch.

Getting to the end of first season slowly and looking forward to the rest of the Original Series - and then maybe more. So, hello!

20. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

Hey, you're sort of like me... a new fan! I mean, I've always loved Next Gen, but never really gave TOS much of a chance until a short while ago. What was I thinking? I'm in love!