Tron 3 is coming (and Garrett Hedlund is confirmed to come back)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mach5, Dec 13, 2012.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Being a child of the 80s, I loved Tron. It was scifi, but different from the laser guns, light sabers and spaceship kinds. I really liked Tron Legacy, because it continued to be its own unique thing. I was bummed to hear Tron 3 being cancelled after Tomorrowland flopped, but I moved past it. Even though the plan for Tron 3 is something most people could predict, I longed to see it. However, a reboot is not something I'm interested in.

The Nth Doctor and Turtletrekker like this.
  2. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

As long as Leto plays a bad guy I could accept it. All I can think of when I see him though is an adult Macaullay Culkin trying too hard to look "damaged".

[​IMG]

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would not mind seeing a Tron reboot, even though I would prefer the story to be continued. The concept of Tron as world is one that I thoroughly enjoy, and wouldn't mind seeing a reboot with a more contemporary spin.

4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Most of the technology in the ENCOM lab would probably now fit into a smallish bedroom on a couple of servers. LOL

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly :)

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Thank you. When I saw the words "Jared Leto" my enthusiasm waned immediately.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever form the new movie takes, I dearly hope David Warner is involved AND gets to say "END OF LINE". :borg:

8. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

I wonder what ever happened to the Black Hole reboot that was talked about when Tron Legacy was in production?

publiusr likes this.
  9. marillion

^^ Good question... I'm not finding anything current about it.. Most of the google news stories are at least a couple years old.. I'm guessing it went the way of Tron 3.. grrrrrrr....

10. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

What's with all the Jared Leto hate? As an actor, every role I've ssen him in he was alright...:confused:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  11. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Yeah I admit I was really stoked for the Black Hole remake, as the original was certainly far darker than most Disney fare.

As to Tron being a remake rather than a sequel, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I guess Boxleitner is really too old to play Tron, but I still would have liked to have seen a continuation.

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

With the youth CG job they gave Clu, I don't think an actor's actual age really matters much anymore.

Hell, Rogue One proved you don't even have to be alive!

13. marillion

There does come a point when one's voice isn't quite up to the task though.. Tron is ageless... Alan isn't.. While Boxleitner would be credible on film playing Alan, his older, raspier voice might distract as Tron.. I remember when they got Sean Connery to voice Bond for the "To Russia With Love" video game.. Instead of the suave, "muy-macho" Bond, we got a wizened Bond who sounded more like Henry Jones.

All that being said, I can't think of anyone else I'd want playing Tron... So I will deal with it, if it ever happens.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

True, Bruce's voice has definitely aged considerably. I remember how some of the later Trek video games, like Legacy, had all the captains' voices, and TOS-Kirk (who was supposed to be mid-30's) sounded way too aged-70's Shatner. Stewart's voice has also gotten quite frail sounding in recent years compared to TNG-Picard. So yeah, it's a drawback. Although there are new technologies now, like MorphVOX, but more sophisticated, that are able to re-tune someone's voice to sound like another's with a sample of that other person's waveform. It might not be too difficult any more to use advanced signal processing tech to make people's voices sound "younger" by smoothing them out, much like a CG algorithm smooths the lines on someone's face, visually. Probably easier to do that than change the voice entirely.

The advancements in digital tech have really made it so you don't really need a high-paid actor to do the job. Once you have the meshes and wave-forms, you can have someone say and do anything you want. It has all the Hollywood types freaking out - and rightfully so - how they might be conceivably usurped by digital reproductions from studios who own their characters' likenesses. The Rogue One movie put into perspective how actors will be used after death, and forcing actors to rethink how future contracts are going to be written, specifying how their likenesses would be used (or not) by the studios postmortem. It really is a strange time to be alive right now...