Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel revealed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Zack Snyder is only months away from going into production on the Christopher Nolan-produced, David Goyer-written Superman reboot that will fly into theaters Winter 2012.

However, for some time after Superman Returns, Bryan Singer had a proposed outline for what would have been the sequel to his tepidly received 2006 film. We have heard hints about Singer's plans before, from Singer himself to co-writer Michael Dougherty who briefly talked about the proposed plans, but we've never been told the actual, full story.

Well, IESB finally has the full plot synopsis for Singer's planned sequel, and let me tell you, it's amazing. It jives with Dougherty's recent comments, and after reading the full story, I am even more disappointed we'll never get Singer's sequel. I know a lot of you hated Superman Returns, and I'm sure most of you will be hating on Singer's sequel plans (it does remind a little bit of Superman IV: The Quest for Peace but hopefully done more tastefully) but personally I think it's a damn shame we won't ever see Singer's planned sequel. We all know based on Singer's own X2 that he has it in him to do a superior sequel. I just wish WB and others had given him a chance. Oh, well.

Here's the full synopsis:

What are everyone's thoughts? Do you like Singer's idea for the sequel or are you glad Zack Snyder is rebooting the franchise?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel reve

Interesting...Brainiac possessing Jason or using him as a host is something that I had played around with. As for the idea...I'm not sure I like it that much to be honest, I'm gonna have to digest this a bit.

3. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Reminds me of a Joe Kelly storyline in the Superman comics from around 2002...also the JLA storyline featuring a group of martians who pose as heroes and 'outdo' the JLA.

4. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I like how the destruction of Krypton has a reason and that leads to the possible destruction of Earth, but the stuff with the son sounded off.

5. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Egads. The whole Krypto-moon is just silly (wouldn't that have at least some influence on Superman's powers?). And the resolution with Braniac downloading to new bodies, possessing Superman's son and so forth. Yeesh. I'm glad I didn't have to endure that on-screen.

What I *do* like about the outline, and think had great potential, was the conflict of ideology: Superman's lassez-faire philosophy vs. Braniac's hands-on approach. I would have loved to see Braniac's intentions to be good -- rather than purely self-serving -- and watch the conflict between too much meddling and too little intervention play out. That makes for a really compelling character and thematic study. That part of the film I'd like to have seen.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't like the idea that at first it's just another Krypto guy. i'd rather it be Brainiac at first and then discover he is bad later. Nor do I like the idea that all the major nations are so willing to buy his crap.

I do like that Brainiac is in this, that he was responsible for Kryptons destruction and that Superman has to kill his son to save the world. Very WOK.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Grant Morrison not Joe Kelly.

Joe Kelly is the one who wrote all those shitty stories where everyone was a huge douchebag.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I like it. It's a pretty solid story.

Making it Bainiac from the get-go would make it too predictable. We'd already know that he's is a bad guy who's up to no good.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's damned interesting and it's unlikely that Snyder's going to do anything comparably ambitious or clever. It does owe rather obviously to stuff like "Squadron Supreme" but then comic book franchise movies are inescapably derivative by nature.

That said, the kid dying at the end is more of a downer than the studio would probably have bought into for a blockbuster movie on this scale.

10. Admiral_Young

I'm curious as to how "raw" this plot was. I'm sure that it would be refined and reworked as needed. I dunno how one can say that Snyder is unlikely to do anything ambitious or clever when we don't know the plot of his movie yet really. I think I'd be interested in seeing this turned into a novel or graphic novel.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Couldn't help but cringe at the "Supe shows him around the world" part.

12. JacksonArcher

He said it was "unlikely", and judging by Snyder's repertoire, I'd have to agree.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But David Goyer is writ... ah, nevermind.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I imagine that Jason wouldn't actually be killed, he'd be reduced to a vegetable, so there would be some hope for a recovery. I can even see a quick recovery being thrown in for good measure. Jason dying would be too heavy for a movie of this sort and would do irreparable damage to Superman's relationship with Lois.

15. JacksonArcher

It is possible Jason would have sacrificed himself rather than Superman outright killing him.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Because there's nothing in either his own past or in Warner Bros handling of this property up until now to suggest in any way that he will.

I say that as a big fan of Snyder's Watchmen movie, BTW; I got nothing against Zach Snyder.

17. Admiral_Young

Fair enough. I wasn't insinuating that you did have anything against Snyder, my point is that it is early in the process and we've only rumors to go on about what he is or isn't planning to do with this film. "Sucker Punch" hasn't come out yet and the trailers would indicate that for his first original film at least visually he is planning an ambitious film...as to the plot, we'll have to wait and see until the film comes out.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a classic Superman plot... though the whole kid angle, I just don't know

Isn't a given that 99% of the time if another Kryptonian shows up in the movies that they're villains? the morale: Kryptonians are dicks.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

The resolution of the kid storyline is problematic for this kind of film, period. He doesn't die, even more certainly than Lester Burnham doesn't sleep with Angela. :lol:

Yeah, it's necessary to reinforce Clark's uniqueness as a character. This is the guy who's not corrupted by absolute power.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, heck, since these movies were in the Donnerverse, if the kid died at the end, Supes would've just rewound the planet and made it all better.