Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Captain Shade

Captain Shade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Welcome to the forums, Captain. And feel free to jump, all ya like!

2. wildsulu

wildsulu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello everyone. I though I should say hi and write a small introduction. Well, I've been a trek fan for over 20 years now. As a young teenager I was crazy about TNG and my favourite character was Data. Now I've turned into a ' niner' . I also intend to start with reading a trek book. This looks like a fun and busy forum, I look forward participating! PS Vulcans rule, too :vulcan: _\\//

3. Captain Shade

Welcome to the Dutch Vulcan, named Sulu! I hope you enjoy your stay!

4. wildsulu

5. Anaximandre

Anaximandre Ensign Newbie

Hello!
    Well, i'm gonna do as everyone and start by introducing myself. I'm a french student living in switzerland. I'm really into video games, wargaming and roleplaying . I only "discovered" Star Trek recently but I started watching compulsively all the episodes, starting with the original series.(By the way,excuse me if my english is a little bit odd... )
    I also like to cook(totally irrelevant here :P)

6. Captain Shade

Trek fans take all kinds. We're ad odd and diverse group, here. So welcome to you!

7. wildsulu

No problem, captain Picard's english is also a bit odd, in my opinion.
    So does captain Sisko, apparently it's a great skill for outer space.

I hope you enjoy the first time you watch every episode :)

Welcome!

8. Anaximandre

Anaximandre Ensign Newbie

Thanks a lot :)

9. OldManDoom

OldManDoom Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello, I am new to the forum. Been a trek fan since I was five. I also love soccer, my cat and two miniature dachshunds. RIP Leonard Nimoy...

10. Captain Shade

OMG, it's OMD! Welcome to the forums. And welcome, to your three little furry friends.

11. V'alkis

V'alkis Ensign Newbie

Greetings! It's a pleasure to now be part of such a fun, devout community!
    Lifelong casual Trek fan, born of my oldest brother's love of TOS. The passing of the amazing Leonard Nimoy has reawakened my Trek interest and I've been devouring online content lately, largely here.

Trek interests:
    -Strong female characters
    -Vulcans, Vulcans, Vulcans
    -The wonderful variety of other alien races

Random list of fave Trekish things:
    -Spock
    -TWOK
    -Abrams films
    -Saavik
    -TUC
    -Captain Janeway

Current Mission: having only watched TOS and TNG series to any great extent, to choose a TV series to watch in its entirety.

This week, I've watched the first three eps of Voy, the first two of DS9 and the Ent pilot.

Leaning towards Voy for the following reasons:
    -Love Janeway fo far
    -Really enjoy Voy's concept
    -The Voy theme!
    -was most interested in DS9, based on what I've read here, but having a really tough time with Brooks' acting as Sisko. I realize he's a stage actor at heart, but it's like he's performing Othello on the great stage and his costars are fresh from their first toothpaste commercials. Jarring to me.
    -Like the Ent pilot more than I expected, not a big Bakula fan but...female Vulcan main!

I'll keep you updated on my journey and look forward to interacting with the most incredible fan base in the universe. LLAP ❤️

12. Captain Shade

Good to have you with us. And two of your loves, seem to mesh, a lot. With Saavik, T'Pol, T'Pring, and T'Pau, you got some darned strong female Vulcans.

13. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Ensign Newbie

Greetings! I only found this site since the Great Nimoy passed and was catching up on different aspects of his life. I am 62 so I caught the 'bug' early when ST first aired in 1966. I had been reading my father's sci-fi novels and became totally enraptured in life beyond Earth so when TOS came along ,the books came alive for me on screen. Since I was extremely emotional at that time,I became 'fascinated' with the Spock character in its portrayal of the very human struggle between head and heart,intellect and emotions.
    What also interested me was the storylines which explored the social problems of the day and indeed of mankind, in general, throughout it's history....and...the big question(in my young sci-fi mind) of how humans would react and act in connection with other beings,off-planet. I have read that ST was(and maybe ,still is) a spiritually guided show and meant to introduce humanity to concepts and challenges it would have to encounter when it has advanced itself enough to interact peacefully in the galactic community. I am tending to believe this.
    It's very interesting to me that Nimoy became committed to and embraced the SPock character all his life, whereas I didn't see that with any of the other members of the cast. Surely, this is unique in an actor's life. Perhaps there was some psychic bond Nimoy had to some actual being that exists 'out there', as has been suggested. I am tending to believe this as well.
    Also, I find it 'fascinating'(yep, there's that appropriate word, again), that ST has enchanted fans from across the planet,had such great effect in their lives and choice of professions and who became what I consider, the 'real' crew of the Enterprise who were very involved in it's continuance and content in all it's forms. What other visual conception of a concept has done that? Without doubt, ST has had a huge effect on our planet's push to explore space. And again, I can't think of another visual media concept that is even close to ST's effects on any other human endeavour.
    So.......a 'guided' show? Well, I see a big case for that, now that the years have passed and the effects of ST are recognized. Who would have thought a US president would have publicly announced his love of a science 'fiction' tv show/movie and a weird , pointy eared alien?!
    I look forward to being part of the ST community on this forum and contributing my thoughts.
    It has come to mind, when looking at Nimoy's 'Secret Selves" photography project, that his 'secret' self was Spock and so is mine...that is, a Vulcan/human hybrid. I can relate so well to that as I am logical,analytical but open,emotionally as well.
    #LLAP

14. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

I'm a newb to this forum but not new to Trek. I was born the same year that Trek began and I've been a fan all of my life. I was on 'Trekspace' for several years but it has become lifeless so I decided to migrate to somewhere where more conversation is going on. I'm a fairly active poster by nature (had 33K posts on a motorcycle forum in the span of 6 years) so you'll probably see much of me from time to time. However, I try not to be a pest or a d*ck. I'm retired military and I am involved in many pursuits on the side: The main one of which is raising my two teenage daughters. I watch old Trek Episodes from all series when I get a chance and even the Abrams Trek movies.

15. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

Hello!

I joined this forum a few days ago, I am quite a fan! I have seen every Star Trek episode, movie, documentary ever made. You could say I am quite the fan. I travel to conventions around the country dressed as a member of the Enterprise (A red shirt of course) I collect all things Trek be it comics, toys, magazines or clothes, if it's Trek I gotta have it!

I have seen all the series' and each one has its perks, though I'm especially fond of TOS, TNG, and DS9

So yeah! I'm excited to be here and be part of this awesome Trek community! LLAP!

[​IMG]

This is me at my local Con in Reno!

16. Captain Shade

Welcome to Blue Moon, Irish Nero, and Brie! Glad to have you all with us, here at the forums!

Redrum? Really? Clever!

17. wildsulu

Welcome to the forum people!

(wow, I've deciphered what LLAP means heheh I wonder how that works with non star trek people!)

18. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

It's nice to finally be here! I love being able to talk to people who understand my Obsess-I mean passion for Star Trek

19. Captain Shade

Nothing wrong about being passionate about one's obsession.

20. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

not at all...ad trust me it's an obsession lol