US retreat leaves China leading way in race to return to Moon

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Alpha_Geek, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

They'd better not restart Constellation----it was cancelled for a damn good reason.

But a future, different manned moon or Mars mission, using the technology which Obama's plan will be developing for us now, is absolutely a good idea.

Obama hasn't cancelled manned spaceflight. He's just insisted that we modernize the system before we overreach ourselves.

2. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

It's an achievement because it's difficult to do. It stretches us to our intellectual and engineering limits.

I'm not saying it has to be a moon project, I'm not saying it even has to be a space project, but something ambitious and fun. :) We must have ambition. We must keep stretching ourselves. It is the spirit of being human.

Well I don't care which nation(s) achieve these things: USA, Europe, China, Russia, or whoever, is irrelevant to me. I don't have a tribalist mentality; I'm more interested in the human achievement. I would feel equally proud of the achievers, independent of what language they speak.

3. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's certainly a good point, and one I would agree with. But wouldn't you agree that it's better to have an achievement with substance?

That's a sentiment I can agree with.

4. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

Perhaps, but I don't have a better idea right now. :p

The learning and doing experience can be valuable in itself. The act of the world's most brilliant people all pulling together and doing the best work they can to achieve something for humanity. :)

5. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Let's see. When Bush came into office, the US was ~ $5T in debt. When he left we were $10T. That was $5T over 8 yrs and after, the Clinton and 911 recessions, 2 wars and the start of Bush Recession (stimulus of 2008 and TARP). Now we're $12T - $13T in 1 yr. BTW, Congress raised the debt ceiling to $14.1T today. And, Obama's 2011 budget has a $1.6T deficit. That budget anticipates new taxes from the sunset of the Bush tax cuts, healthcare and cap and trade, none of which have passed. And it is still $1.6T in the red.

6. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I honestly think the way NASA is going lately China would have beaten the Americans anyway.

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I wasn't necessarily advocating continuing Constellation. Others like The Badger have a better idea that it's a poor system overall than I do.

8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Antigravometric self-flagellator? Sounds kinky!

When I was in my teens, there were two things I was sure would happen before the year 2000: the legalization of marijuana and a manned expedition to Mars. The way things are going now, it looks as if a manned Mars mission won't happen in my lifetime.

Well, if you smoke enough good dope, you might THINK you're on Mars . . .

9. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

i not like the the idea of china going to to the moon too! but that life! the usa should be a leader! not come in 2th or 3! We just not have the money for this now! but still bug the hell of me!:confused:

10. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

China won't go to the Moon, the Chinese will land robots there but its not the Chinaman's final destination. China unlike the old Soviet program the Chinese state gov has left a lot of news reports and info out in the open. Some of it is smoke and mirrors, so you need to be cynical and critical to see what they are really up to. They are building a rocket for heavy lift payloads but they will not colonize the Moon. The Moon is too bare and inhospitable to ever be colonized even in the 21st century its still to baron and bare for us.
    Mars will be China's final destination, got an atmosphere, almost a 24 hr day and lots of resources, they could sustain a colony there and truly make Mars a red planet. First China will need to have gained experience in long term flight, I can see this after they have kept people on a space station around 2017 ish, the Chinese are a production and economic power house, their economy barely took any blows during the global financial meltdown and they easily have the tech to build a long term space station. Once they have gained experience in long term flight they will have the raw data and guts to make that 6 month voyage to Mars. The mission the Chinese take will be very similar to the one outlined by aerospace engineer and author Robert Zubrin. Once the Chinese make Mars theirs this century will truly be a Chinese one.

11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

You seem to forget the age-old human tradition of telling the imperial overlords a long way away to shove it where the sun don't shine. The Chinese will be no different than any other humans: we settled here; this is our land; you can't tell us what to do.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    More reason why Space exploration needs to be a global effort.

Not that it will happen that way.

13. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

There will be plenty of physiological problems in settling on Mars for a long time. The low gravity will take its toll on the human body and may well affect such functions as fertility, not to mention being born (if this turns out to be possible) and growing in low gravity and what that might do to the body and mind. That's why Venus, for all its problems, is a more realistic prospect for long-term settlement.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Doing anything in space requires our technology to be way better than it is now...which disappoints many people.

Venus is an often forgotten planet...but much can be done there...I think the masses want a quick and easy space exploration fix. More exciting things can happen beyond Mars...once again for humans to have colonies, our technology needs to improve.

Mining the moon, at this point seems the best idea...not really popular.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Venus!?!? You mean the planet that is tidally locked, has 400 degree surface temperatures, no water, sulphuric acid for an atmosphere and a surface pressure of 100 atmospheres?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! yea right, it's much easier to colonize than Mars! Do you know how long the last probe on Venus lasted before succumbing to those conditions? Less than an hour.Just because Venus has a size and gravity similar to earth does not make it anywhere near easier.

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus

:shrug:

17. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I think it's so funny that even today, in the year 2010, some people cling to this 1950's-era belief that the Moon belongs to America, and that it ought rightfully be the USA that leads mankind into space, no matter the destination.

If the Chinese go to the Moon, great for them... why shouldn't they have that aspect to their national pride? Why should the USA have a monopoly on the space program being a source of national inspiration/direction?

What would happen if somehow, the first nation to send a manned team to Mars is a Muslim nation, like Iran or Egypt? Who cares? The point is that it gets done, not who does it.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    This is why I think space exploration should be and global effort...I am sure there are alot of bright minds from nations that don't even have or close to have a space program like the USA, Europe, Russia, Japan or China...but could add something to the effort.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yes, that's clearly much easier than colonizing Mars.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I never said it was easier...just one of many options.