Indy 4 still as infuriating as ever

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by davejames, Jul 8, 2014.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if nothing else, the Sankara Stones at least looked like real objects or artifacts that you might find in a museum somewhere. Which made the idea of them being at one time imbued with magical power much easier to accept.

Unlike the Crystal Skull which not only looked like something a Hollywood prop guy designed and built, but which looked way too modern for something supposedly inspired by 50s scifi.

And people talk a lot about all the ridiculous things in Doom, but for me the voodoo, dark mysticism, and evil religious cult stuff is still much more consistent with the style and spirit of the movie serials that originally inspired Indy, than the scifi stuff that happens in Skull.

2. davejames

I'm optimistic that he'll play him well, since he apparently has a much bigger and more important role in the story. He wasn't really given anything interesting to do in ROTJ, so it's kind of understandable why he seemed so bored and disinterested throughout.

Of course it helps that Han was always a bit more grumpy and aloof, which fits Ford's personality really well nowadays. So it shouldn't be that much of a stretch for him. Lol

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Which actually fits perfectly with the history of the skulls in real life, they're far too perfect to have been made hundreds of years ago.

4. davejames

Well the real skulls also don't look remotely alien, and actually do look like the kind of primitive art that might have been carved or made by an ancient civilization (whether they actually were or not).

If the movie had actually used those skulls, then it might have been a lot easier to buy the premise they were selling. And those skulls have been thought to have some kind of magical power all by themselves, so there wasn't even a need to tack on the ridiculous alien origin.

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As for Harrison Ford playing Han Solo in the next STAR WARS movie, I'm sure it's just to do with wanting to relive glory days and taking advantage of a starring role. I honestly do not believe he cares about Han Solo and hasn't probably since New Hope. When there was no such thing as STAR WARS, to be handed that first script and know you were playing a major part in it, that had to be a very satisfying experience. But after that, his star started taking off and he was suddenly able to get interesting work on major event movies. Now, of course, Harrison's been put out to pasture ... but the grazing - at least, so far - hasn't been good.

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Indy does point that out in the movie and as I said one of the unproduced stories of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was Indy's original search for the Hedges skull, this story would've interoduced Belloq as wsll.

7. davejames

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that the quality of the story, working with JJ, and the chance to bring a sense of fun back to SW was enough to get him invested in the character and world again. And that he's not simply doing it for the paycheck or to boost his profile.

We have seen him do other scifi movies recently (Ender's Game, Cowboys vs Aliens), so clearly he's not completely opposed to the idea. And in interviews he's always made it clear that his main goal is just to help make movies that tell the best stories they can.