Re-releasing the movies to the big screen

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Crewman47, Jun 5, 2007.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    It depends. I saw a charity screening of the 1997 Special Edition of Star Wars: A New Hope back in 2004 as part of the grand opening of the new Cine Capri in Scottsdale. The print looked dreadful.

On the other hand, sometime around 2004 or 2005, the Harkins Valley Art Theater started a series of old films that they would play late at night on the weekends for only $3. The 1st 4 films in the series were The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, & First Contact. The Wrath of Khan print appeared to be an old one from 1982. It was even missing the "II" from the title. However, it looked to be in pretty good shape, much better than that Star Wars: A New Hope print from 1997.

The Wrath of Khan is much better on the big screen. I'm not sure what it is but all of the model shots look more convincing when they're on a large screen like that.

I wish Harkins had continued that program of old films on the weekend. After the 1st month of Star Trek films, the 2nd month was a bunch of Bruce Lee films plus Brandon Lee's The Crow. After that, they cancelled the program. It's a shame. They'd printed up a schedule for the whole year. November was going to be all 3 Indiana Jones films.:(

Did they actually have a college screening of all 3 Star Wars films? I was under the impression that George Lucas wouldn't permit theatrical exhibitions of any of the films except for A New Hope.

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I do not think many people would pay to watch Star Trek V:TFF in cinemas unless it was part of a I-VI movie marathon ticket package price.
    This thread "Hypothetical: If Paramount ponied up the cash for Shatner to fix STV-" details the efforts needed to bring it up to better visuals quality but the story & script that were greenlit cannot be changed.

With any Trek 're-release' CBS Home video did do a promotional move with TOS "The Menagerie" in 2007 in cinemas for the HD-DVD/DVD release of season 2 in 2007 corresponding with the original broadcast screening date and CBS Home video could do something like put the 'Broken Bow' pilot in cinemas for the eventual ENT series Blu-ray release as a promotion.

To put all 10 movies in the cinema it would take a small art house/independent cinema programming a Star Trek movie retrospective and it better be played over 2 days. With the rise of 2k digital projection and independent cinemas being able to easily get via satellite or fiber-optic connection catalog films I think it would be more of a possibility than renting 35mm prints of all 10 films.

3. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    As long as they're not gonna do any "reimaging", I'm there.

Heck, I'd even do a midnight marathon...show all of 'em at once!

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Here in Sydney, as part of a promotion for the then-forthcoming ST V, we had a major cinema do a marathon of the first four ST movies, plus the ST V trailer (which, on first viewing, was better and funnier than the whole movie itself).

In Los Angeles, at one point, they did a marathon of ST movies (TMP-ST V, I think). The event was called "Sit Long and Prosper". I have a T-shirt from that event, which I won in a charity auction.

5. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

That was a nationwide event held in 1991, a few weeks before Star Trek VI opened. It was not limited to just LA.

Neil

6. jefferiestubes8

'Sit Long and Prosper' event from 1990s

Sit Long and Prosper - 09.08.1991
    http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/323505-sit-long-prosper-09-08-91-a.html

SOURCE

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    Release date: 6 December 1991

7. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

At the time of Star Trek 2, they should re-release The Wrath of Kahn. Star Trek 3, The Search for Spock. It would be neat to follow the parallel universe as each movie is released. It also depends on when they set the next movie. Is it during the five year mission, or after, or beyond? Either way, they should pair The Motion Picture with The Wrath of Kahn as a double feature. As well as 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, then as 12 comes out, re-release Trek '09 with all deleted scenes inserted!

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That would be nice.

9. jefferiestubes8

movie marathon at Santa Monica,CA cinema this weekend

http://trekmovie.com/2009/12/03/rem...r-trek-marathon-this-weekend-in-santa-monica/

Whoever goes to this would you give a full review of the event?
    Picture & Sound quality of EACH film, crowd % attending, audience reaction, Describe seeing the films on the big screen (if your first time) and how it is different from on your TV.
    Were the films all projected from old 35mm film prints or digitally?

10. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Everything shown tonight was from 35mm film. The real treat was the new, fully restored 35mm print of Trek II. I had the pleasure of seeing it last month at a private screening, and I wasn't anticipating seeing it again so soon. It's glorious.

III and IV were older, more worn prints. They were intact and had decent color, but had scratches throughout.

The audience got progressively smaller between films.

Nicholas Meyer spoke between II and III. It's always a pleasure to hear him speak.

Neil

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Did anyone go to the Free Enterprise panel? Any word on the oft-mentioned sequel?