Grimm (NBC) Season 1 Discussion *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, and the show could also use a few more recurring characters in the vein of Monroe - supernatural critters who aren't just running amok or being secretly villainous, but are trying various ways to adapt themselves to modern life, and are played by fun character actors.
    He's very cute. :D I'm inclined to be patient with him. Nick needs to be the straight man surrounded by a zany zoo of supernatural characters, some of which are woven in and out of the ongoing plotline.

Three examples over nearly 60 years! I'm not holding my breath for writing that good. Every episodic show I try to get into (this one, Person of Interest) has the same problem: I already know all the cliches.

The real problem is that this show isn't on cable. If it were, it could do what American Horror Story is doing, just throw a bunch of insane shit at us to cover up for the fact that the writing is mediocre.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, yeah, three examples-- not a complete list. :rommie: There's also Doc Savage, Lone Ranger, Doctor Quatermass, Sheena, Green Hornet, Fantastic Four, Gunsmoke, Six-Million Dollar Man, Tales of the Gold Monkey, Friday the 13th: The Series, and so on, ad almost infinitum.

I saw episode two today, and it was pretty solid. The Blutblod is a riot; he reminds me of the Geico cavemen, and he came through despite his bitching. The Bear family was interesting, and presented a nice allegory to the eternal problem of tradition versus progress. The criminal couple were also interesting; cavalier youth with genuine loyalty and devotion to each other. I still don't know if I can find the time to watch on a regular basis, but so far this is a good show that deserves a following.

I also like the enriched color palette that they use; not only does it evoke the Fairy Tale premise, but it's a nice change from the muted palette so fashionable over the past few years.

3. Temis the Vorta

I missed every single show on that list, but I can't help but notice that it's not exactly recent. ;) If there are writers capable of doing non-cliched episodic writing, it would help if they were still currently working in the business. Maybe they've retired and been replaced by hacks?

How about an example of a currently airing episodic series that isn't being dragged down by cliches? I've sampled Terra Nova and Persons of Interest, and while I find the latter tolerable enough to watch, it's not my idea of great TV.

4. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

i just saw the second ep, he friggin sidekicked a bear a good ways, im guessing since auntie died he is getting his super strength?!

5. RJDiogenes

No, the examples aren't recent; that's pretty much my point. Episodic storytelling is out of fashion (in TV) and the current generation of TV writers are (generally speaking) not really up to it when they try it.

6. Temis the Vorta

Episodic writing is very much in fashion, just look at the ratings, but it's been taken over by hacks. All the good writers have fled to the serialized form. Hence, I avoid episodic shows. That's sort of what we've been saying...

7. RJDiogenes

Everything I see is serialized. :shrug:

8. Temis the Vorta

What about all the cop/doctor/lawyer shows (that I never watch, but I'm sure some if not all are episodic) not to mention half-hour sitcoms, which I'm sure are still episodic like they've always been. That stuff makes up the vast majority of scripted shows on broadcast; everything else is either reality TV or the few outliers like Once Upon a Time and Pan Am.

9. RJDiogenes

Well, I wasn't counting sitcoms. I never watch the cop/lawyer/doctor shows, either. Except Bones, which could be seen as both serialized and episodic; there is a one-shot mystery in every episode, but it always relates the underlying story of the developing characters and relationships.

So, I suppose most shows might still be episodic. Not genre stuff, though.

10. Temis the Vorta

Genre stuff has a hard time surviving on broadcast, and cable certainly skews serialized. Broadcast and cable are just following what their respective audiences want. So if you like episodic shows, you're going to have to start liking cops/doctors/lawyers and sitcoms. ;)

Or maybe all this YouTube TV stuff will take off, and we'll all be able to get the micro-niche stuff we want. You can have your episodic fantasy, and I can have heavily serialized space opera with a grittiness factor that hits midway between DS9 and nuBSG. Exactly midway, not 25% or 75%, exactly.

11. RJDiogenes

What I really want is more variety, in both format and subject matter.

12. Temis the Vorta

The world is going in that direction, albeit slowly. (Too slowly for me, too!)

13. RJDiogenes

I hope so. There have been a couple of good signs lately.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Grimm Season 1 Episode 3 "Beeware" Description Tonight at 9PM on NBC!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PcT9fs1NgY[/yt]

Grimm : Beeware - Clip 1

Looks interesting. :)

15. Temis the Vorta

Yeah like an actual space opera series! :D Which sounds like it could have a strong episodic (mission based) component. You may be in luck.

That clip for tonight's episode looks good. The plotline is starting to get traction.

16. RJDiogenes

^^ Yes, and I have a high opinion of RHW, so I am keeping all fingers crossed for that one. :D

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Interesting ep...the whole bee thing creeped me out a bit...I am guessing his boss is the big bad...which we knew already but could there actually be something more...his unofficial sidekick was funny as always...I think his official police partner would be too if he was in the know. Good ep though. :)

18. cb31

cb31 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So far I'm likin' it but it's still not up to the level of Special Unit 2! :) It's definately got potential though.

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Of the three episodes aired so far this was far and away the best. The bee creatures and the swarm were creepy as heck (I hate insects!) and there's hints of a larger story arc/big bad looming. The guy playing Nick did a pretty good job here. He's a bit looser than he was in the pilot. The wolf guy just steals the damn show. He's funny.

20. RJDiogenes

I love the werewolf guy. He reminds me of the Geico cavemen.

I haven't seen this one yet. What Fairy Tale do the bees reference?