Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the episode wasn't over the top rolling on the floor laughing for 30 minutes, but it was a lot of fun.

Of course maybe I'm having withdraws. :lol:

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Our Stockholm Syndrome wore off?

3. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Good episode.

Was Pierce ranking his weddings an in-joke? It felt like it, especially when Abed emphasized it, but I couldn't place where it was from.

4. bigdaddy

All I could think of was Denny Crane from Boston Legal. We might just be over thinking.

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Yeah, in what has largely been a lackluster season so far, this episode was a real good one if you ask me.

Anyone know about the ratings it got?

6. bigdaddy

From TVbythenumbers.com....

I think it will be renewed, NBC is just going to try to get Sony to give them a better deal. What I just posted SHOULD prove to NBC that their Thursday comedy block is long dead. However this is NBC and they pulled it off the air for no reason.

Even better from TVline.com...

http://www.tvline.com/2012/03/ratings-missing-premiere-community/

7. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, pretty good numbers for Community :techman:

8. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Until Big Bang shows up again.

It doesn't seem to be a lot to brag about when the competition is taking a break.

9. Yoda

BBT is competition for Community in the same way that Justin Bieber is competition for Mozart.

Besides, it beat The Office which had a new episode, I don't think it's a stretch that the ratings are pretty good news for Community. Six seasons and a movie bitches!

10. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The competition is ratings, content is irrelevant, BBT will get renewed and Community is struggling. There IS a competition in that timeslot. And NBC continually gets curb-stomped, despite my wishing otherwise (I basically only watch NBC it seems! I'm loving the Community-30Rock-Office lineup so much!)

And did it really beat the Office? Is the "share" the number to brag about? I'm not really sure, but it doesn't seem there was much of a win, either way.

Communty 2.2 (rating), 7 (Share), 4.75 million viewers.
    The Office 2.4 (rating), 6 (Share), 4.87 million viewers.

11. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average episode. Glad it's back but it wasn't worth the wait really.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a decent episode...at least we know there is some awesome stuff waiting for us down the road. I wasn't expecting them to come back with a huge bang.

13. Yoda

Ok, so it was a slight loss after adjustments. But the point is that The Office is considered to be one of NBC's stronger shows in the ratings. Community doesn't need to compete with Big Bang's numbers, it needs to do well relative to the numbers NBC as a network manages to pull.

I don't even pay attention to time slots, the days where TV networks get to schedule when I watch their shows is long gone. Is Community in Big Bang's slot? I'm sure the NBC executives will take that into account come a renewal decision. They know they can't compete viewer for viewer with a big CBS show.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

But they WANT to. If they have a show they think will be MORE appealing to a larger number of people, Community is gone.

NBC hasn't given UP (though, yeah, based on content, it seems to be so) in competing with the other networks.

The reality is they ARE in competition with other networks, time slots and ratings DO matter.

15. Yoda

Not exactly, they don't just need a show that they think will appeal to more viewers than Community, they need numerous such shows. As TV by the Numbers might put it, they don't need outrun the 'cancellation bear', just some of the other shit on NBC.

I didn't say ratings didn't matter, my whole point was that ratings do matter and the ratings they got are a good sign, not a bad one. Not because the ratings are runaway smash hit status, but because NBC knows whatever piece of vomit they pull out of their pilot season will probably end up worse.

And hey, it looks like they may have inherited those sweet Subway product placement dollars. Those bucks helped kept old Chuck afloat a lot longer than most people thought was possible.

16. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Just finally watched the new episode, it wasn't an instant classic but it was a very good episode. So glad Community is back on the air!

17. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Normal Troy and Normal Abed, and Drunk Jeff and Britta made the episode for me. I found the end to be incredibly abrupt to the point that it practically had no ending, but it was an enjoyable ep nonetheless.

As for this whole ratings thing, way I've heard it the fact that they continued to make the episodes without interruption, are actually advertising the show for its return, just made a syndication deal with Comedy Central AND came back with the strongest ratings in a while seem to help light the fire for a fourth season. It will probably be a final season mind you, but seeing as they were only supposed to spend 4 years at Greendale anyway, I won't shed too many tears if it comes to an end. As long as it gets a chance to end on its own terms like BSG did, and not yanked at the end like Caprica and SGU.

18. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well, This week was pretty funny if you ask me. Not quite a fantastic ep, but better than last perhaps. The bar mitzvah stuff was mostly flat, although Jeff's Hulk RAEG was pretty brilliant. The best line of the episode was probably French Stewarts "Hey! That's a rarity, both Michael Jacksons!"

Also, Evil Abed is back and a wedge has been formed between Troy and Abed. Is the darkest timeline starting to strike back? Just WTF happening?

I think maybe they're sacrificing laughs for the multi-verse story, but that story is so interesting I don't think I mind much.

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Well, in defense of the SGU finale, it quickly became clear to me that the writers had absolutely no clue where it was going, so it ended at just about as good a point as any. At least it did provide the series with emotional closure, even if it ended on something of a narrative cliffhanger.

But in the case of Community, I certainly hope that it gets a proper finale. It seems like they would be able to do a lot with that, particularly if they have Abed tear down the last vestiges of its 4th wall. (I'm convinced that Abed correctly realized some time ago that they're all TV characters and has attempted to manipulate his universe accordingly.)

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    This demonstrates something that I've suspected for a while: NBC handicaps Community by putting it up against Big Bang Theory because they have similar demographics. I know a lot of people who are hardcore Big Bang Theory fans who I'm sure would love Community at its most reference-drenched. They just don't know that Community exists because NBC has put it in a blind spot. (Granted, anyone that would consciously choose BBT OVER Community is a retard but that's a flame for another thread.:p)

What's this from? I keep hearing it and it sounds familiar but I can't place it.

Is The Office still such a strong show for NBC? I thought I read somewhere that its ratings were in the toilet ever since Steve Carrell left.