Spock Prime

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by NeroShrimp, May 25, 2014.

1. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

I know this isn't going to happen, but I think it would be a pretty cool idea to have a part of the next film involve Spock Prime attempting to communicate with the Prime Universe. Yes, I know this is far fetched, but it's just something that came into my mind. Spock always tries to find ways to restore the time line or at least attempt to find ways to get back where he came from. I'm kind of surprised why he didn't bother going back to 2387...Although I know the real-world reason why.

2. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Hmm, nuSpock doing the "phone a friend" when he wanted information about Khan was nice (kind of?), but will probably the last time we will ever see Nimoy on screen.

Frankly, the time of the old cast is over and contacting the prime universe would just be stepping into the mess (i.e., CANON) the new franchise so strategically plotted to escape in the '09 film.

3. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I would prefer the exact opposite: Spock Prime realizing that his experience in the Prime Universe is now utterly invalid vis a vis the Abramsverse timeline and deciding to offer his services to the Federation merely as a highly experienced diplomat.

Then he does his father a huge favor by 1) warning him about his undiscovered heart condition and 2) taking his place at the Babel Conference... which suddenly goes completely off the rails when a Dikironium Cloud creature attacks the conference and eats all of the delegates except for Spock Prime and a certain Andorian ambassador Spock Prime had the hots for when he was younger... and hilarity ensues.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

One way to explain the disappearance of prime Spock from the Abrams-verse would be for him to return to the prime universe.

Yes?

:)

5. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Yes.

I hate to say it, but I don't think Mr. Nimoy is long for this world. Might be nice if he returned to the prime universe.

That stated, the more causal/historical connections there are between old and new Trek, the more the baggage of the old franchise will start piling at the feet of the writers.

What matters, however, is not the actor, but the character. There are a lot of people (most of them not yet born) who would keep the character alive and put their own twist on it.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock feels responsible for the destruction of Vulcan and has dedicated the remainder of his life to helping them rebuild. Surely such a massive and vital undertaking is far more important than anything left over in the prime universe? With no Romulus, his unification mission is utterly kaput.

7. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

are we talking doing a Days of Futures Past here? (maybe even involving Picard/TNG in the PT)

didnt hurt for XMen...the new film is the best since X2, and a great timetravel movie (like BTTF, Terminator..and yes Star Trek IV, FC & 2009) also has a couple of great Trek nods too (TOS & TNG)

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But it isn't something we need to see on screen.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I'd be quite happy if there were no direct references to the "prime universe" in any future films in the current series. We can go back to the originals quite easily and there is already quite a bit of it.

10. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always been under the impression Spock Prime is basically stuck in the new timeline. It is also a brand new timeline/universe that exists on its own. It didn't displace or change any other timeline. Nothing is "wrong" or out of place because of its existence. So, there is no need for a reset button because there's nothing to reset.

As far as Spock Prime trying to communicate with his Prime universe goes, why would he want to? To what end? To let them know he's OK? Why would that matter in the grand scheme of things? For what purpose would he need to go back even if it were possible to any degree? He's perfectly fine where he is.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  11. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you're right

BUT I also thought Spock Prime's last appearance would be in ST2009, so what do I know...

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

As much as people who didn't like the film point at Spock Prime, and decry his inclusion in STiD, just as many, I suspect, would decry the plot hole of not seeking out Prime Spock's advice/knowledge of Khan

13. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eventually he'll be referred to like Elvis in Men in Black. "No, the original Spock is not dead. He just went home."

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The only way Spock Prime is going to appear in any future films is in a cameo role, just like he did in STID.

15. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

We've seen such new timelines more than once in Trek, and the original timeline could always be (more or less) restored.

If Spock could contact Picard in the Prime Universe and told him about Nero and what he is about to do, then Nero could be stopped from going back in time ... and the nuTimeline would cease to exist. The perfect Reset Button!

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be opposed to giving Spock Prime a major storyline in a new movie, especially something as arch as him trying to make contact with the Prime universe. :p But I'd have no misgivings if he turned up for another short cameo. After all, he has now been established as being a part of this new universe, so if they did something involving New Vulcan or what-not then I'd see no reason why he shouldn't be included as a player in that. It'd be pretty harmless, and would be a nice continuation of the two movies so far.

17. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, whatever he is gonna do, he better do it fast...I agree with the above sentiments that he is not long for this plane of existence...not that he could not be referred to, and backstory/backstorytimelined or what have you...but he will soon shuffle off this mortal coil and go find out if it is all true...and both timelines will be the poorer...

18. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Except Orci seemed to describe his version of time travel as something different than what we've seen before in Trek. No reset button. What would happen in the above incident would not change anything, but instead create yet another new timeline that goes on from where Nero is stopped. The timeline we see in ST09 and STID would not be affected. On top of that, there is nothing to change in the Prime timeline. Their past is the same, nothing changed when Nero and Spock went through the black hole. This was the creation of something that hadn't existed before, not the changing of something that had existed.

It's in line with how some cosmologists say that if we can go back in time, we still can't go back and do things like prevent the JFK assassination. If it is stopped nothing is "corrected" in the timeline that existed, but a new timeline is created that goes on from where JFK lives. The prime one (the one the person came from) is not affected. The person will live in the new timeline, and if he ever got back to his old one, JFK would still be dead.

I remember a show on time travel some years ago where an astronomer said rather tongue in cheek that if time travel will exist sometime in the future, the best evidence that you can't go back and change a timeline is that we still exist.

19. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

All I want to know is: What kind of a truck does he turn into?

20. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...um...ok, I'll be the one... "...what kind of truck?..."