TIL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember that one.

2. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    That green Nyquil is positively vile. I have been using the red "cherry" flavor one for almost ten years. It's not the best tasting thing, but it is palatable and it works.

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was a bit confused by your statement on the Euro, since every time I've seen it written, it was in the form €1.00, and not how you've stated. So I researched a bit, and found out that there *isn't* a standard way of writing it, although it's usually before the number (and no space) when written in English. It seems the individual countries each have their own way of writing it, usually in the same way their previous national currency was written.

4. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

feeding your dog cat food can also make him go blind...a vet told me that when our dog went blind for no apparent reason.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Really? I'm going to have to Google that and do some research....did your vet give any particular reasons? Did it have to do something with ingredients in cat food being detrimental to a canine's nervous system?

This is the first I've heard.

6. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

He told me that cat food contains a substance toxic to dogs, and told me to feed the cat someplace where the dog could not reach her food. He actually made me feel like I was killing my dog. He also said the opposite was true, but the cat never did like dog food.

7. cooleddie74

Ugh. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll do some research.

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

TIL... that my neighbors turned in their temporarily adopted cat to a PetSmart adoption drive. They were trying to get me to take it. The cat was semi-feral but my neighbors befriended him (they have two other cats). He gradually returned to a normal domesticated disposition and warmed up to me when I'd come over to their property. It was amazing how his matted fur changed to a very pet-able "fluff" after being fed good food for a while. But he's very much an outdoor cat and I live in an apartment that doesn't have easy access to the outside for a cat. I just wasn't read to adopt a pet right now... but my neighbors (who are friends of mine) kept trying to convince me. Got an SMS photo today of the cat in a PetSmart cage. Yeah, I felt bad for him... and a little guilty that I didn't take him. :(

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Well, his odds of going to a good home now are pretty good.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

TIL that you can have an earthquake with negative magnitude. I couldn't recall ever having seen mention of one before, but apparently they're recorded quite frequently with modern seismographic instruments.

Sez Wiki:
    Once I saw it explained, it made perfect sense, but it hadn't occurred to me before that there would be earthquakes of magnitude less-than-zero.

11. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Liberace actually played TWO roles: the villain and his victim. Liberace's acting wasn't bad... I've seen worse from supposedly better actors on Batman.

Now that I'm older, I am fascinated by the number of famous actors who played villains on Batman. Not just anyone... A-Listers of that era were on that show: Vincent Price, Roddy McDowall, Eartha Kitt, Burgess Meredith, Cesar Romero and many more.

12. cooleddie74

Don't forget Milton Berle as the gangster Louie the Lilac, one of the more entertaining villains of the series. Berle nailed the role of Louie with a love that the actors on the set would remember years later. They said that Milton loved to come to the set and ham it up, enjoying his participation in the series and wondering if the writers would have him back.