The Time Of The Doctor (Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Dec 25, 2013.

?

Grade "The Time Of The Doctor"

Poll closed Feb 5, 2014.
  1. Geronimo!

64 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Fish Fingers and Custard

84 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Not Good

21 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Beans are evil. Bad bad beans! |

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, much as I loved Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, the actual explanations behind all the Silence and spacesuit stuff didn't exactly make a ton of sense.

2. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    Because until Clara spoke to them, they didn't know the Doctor was there or that it was even the right universe.

I actually completely agree with this, and always thought that aspect of "The Impossible Astronaut"/"Day Of The Moon" was downright silly. But that's a problem with that story, not this one. I'm glad they didn't clutter up this episode with attempts to "explain" stuff like that, which is just never going to make any sense. I say better to leave it at timey-wimey. Don't dig the hole deeper.

The Kovarian sect tried to stop the Doctor reaching Trenzalore by creating a fixed point in time where he died at Lake Silencio on April 10th, 2010. The plan for creating this fixed point involved a lot of very convoluted and seemingly-improbable machinations. The plan failed. There may also have been other prior/subsequent/concurrent plans as well. They all failed, and ironically the results of one of them (blowing up the TARDIS) actually led to the very situation that they were seeking to prevent in the first place. It seems clear enough to me.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Do we know when the battle on Trenzalore took place? Can the Silence definitely time travel?

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well we know that the Silence tookover in a manner of speaking in the past based on infomation they got from the future. We don't know how they did it but it's possible that the ship in The Lodger was one of their ships.

5. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

TASHA LEM: Why did you ever come to Trenzalore?
    THE DOCTOR: Well, I did come to Trenzalore, and nothing can change that now. Didn't stop you trying though, did it?
    TASHA LEM: Not me. The Kovarian Chapter broke away. They travelled back along your timeline and tried to prevent you ever reaching Trenzalore.
    THE DOCTOR: So that's who blew up my TARDIS. I thought I'd left the bath running.
    TASHA LEM: They blew up your time capsule, creating the very cracks in the universe through which the Time Lords are now calling.
    THE DOCTOR: The destiny trap. You can't change history if you're part of it.

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

That didn't explain how they time travelled nor does it explain whether or not the Silent's seen in The Impossible Astronaut/Day Of The Moon came from the Kovarian chapter or the church's chapter.

7. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

I just posted it in answer to Alidar Jarok's query about whether the Silence could definitely time travel.

And yes, the ship from "The Lodger" was one of the Silence's. In "Day Of The Moon" the Doctor remembers seeing the same kind of craft before on Aickman Road (where Craig lived) but says it was "abandoned," even though it wasn't. He forgot about seeing the pilot.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Especially since they were gonna keep River underwater. Why not a SCUBA suit? :p

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Actually, that does bring up a good question. Sure, it would depend on the depth, but wouldn't a spacesuit be like the opposite of what you would want underwater? It's about getting pressure IN, not keeping pressure out.

10. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

It might not have been an actual space suit but rather a training unit from the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory.
    Also, the scuba suit did not have enough room for the energy weapon ;).

11. Alidar Jarok

Also, she was in a lake, not the Mariana Trench. I think the pressure is manageable. Although, really, they just wanted it to be magical and connected with 1969. One would have to have no sense of wonder to fault them for that.

12. Professor Zoom

Sure, sure, that's why I kept saying: she probably wasn't in deep water.

When you say they: I assume you mean Moffat and not The Silence...? ;)

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So basically you've got nothing?

I always figured that was the case with the "There should have been another way" people.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  14. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, I guess I meant Doctor Who writers in the abstract, but that probably means Moffat.

15. Professor Zoom

Oh, lord. Besides being a tedious response, it also doesn't address the actual point. The Doctor finds solutions. You did see the Day of the Doctor, right?

And again, in my mind, the story would be seeing him TRY and find other ways and then failing.

We could all come up with a fictional solution to a fictional problem. Whether or not those are satisfactory, that's debatable. Again, what I'm trying to articulate isn't a problem with the situation: the Doctor is in an impossible situation, I have a problem with how he responded to this particular situation.

He has been in many many impossible situations, and he didn't just roll over and not try and find a way out.

16. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, but I doubt that an Apollo moon suit would survive exposure to water without the surface being damaged; it would probably still work, but one of the things it wasn't designed to deal with was water, so the outer layers would show effects (as has been mentioned earlier, the water tank training suits were slightly different models, designed to match the performance within the different environment. And water training didn't really come in till a bit later than '69 - partly because it was a result of the lessons learned on Gemini 12, but mainly because it's more useful for spacewalks than moonwalks, and outside of Apollo 9, there weren't any between Gemini 12 in December '66 and Apollo 15 in late '71.)

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Look, we're all nerds here. Can't we all just agree that the people who don't agree with us are arseholes and be done with it?

18. SlyviaCoryell

SlyviaCoryell Cadet Newbie

Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a curly short wigs and it is perfect.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ What good is spam without a link?

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Heh, that's almost as bad as a TNZ Troll that doesn't try hard enough