STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it is possible JJ could direct the next ST film. If SW is scheduled to come out in 2015, that would mean it would shoot in 2014. So a shoot starting mid 2015 after SW comes out is entirely possible for a 2016 release.

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    It's already been mentioned that he's going to have some pretty heavy post-production and editing work to do on SW, though.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True, but if SW comes out in May 2015. The Next ST film could start filming in say July allowing for a 3-4 month shoot. Allow another 5-6 months for post production and a May 2016 release could be made.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be very tough to make two big FX movies in different franchises that close together. Plus Abrams may well stick with Star Wars for a while and move directly on to Episode VIII.

5. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whats the foreign total up to? Box Office Mojo has been stuck at 222 for foreign for a few weeks now.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

$222.5 million is the updated total as of last Sunday. It was $220.8 million the week before that.

7. O. Brien

O. Brien Ensign Newbie

The foreign box office should get a boost when the film opens in Japan.

Benedict Cumberbatch arrived on the 15th to start the PR for the film's opening. Over 1000 fans from all over the country showed up at the airport to greet him. He's more popular there than Tom Cruise or Johnny Depp.

In addition to a press conference and TV appearance, Benedict also introduced the film at 3 showings. He was given an Enterprise-and-John Harrison birthday cake (it's his birthday on the 19th of this month) and the fans sang 'Happy Birthday' to him.

During the press conference, Benedict commented that other members of the cast would be in Japan in August. Not sure if there will be a formal premiere or not, but it looks like Paramount is pulling out all the stops to ensure the film gets as much PR support as possible.

Cumberbatch is a major star in Asia and it's likely the boost to China's box office had something to do with his casting.

8. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's ask for the Japanese friends to help Star Trek Into Darkness to achieve grossing $500 million worldwide. Yes, we can!

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

That'd be great, but I doubt Japan has the population to make it so! I'm guessing $460m, maybe $470, as a finish. If it scrapes the $470, that'd be a pretty damn decent take actually. Certainly, it'd be quite a stretch to describe the film as any kind of genuine "disappointment" IMHO.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It has the population, but Trek doesn't have enough popularity there to make that kind of money. STID will hopefully post a good increase over the $5.8 million that Star Trek grossed in Japan, though.

11. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

If Star Trek 13 is shooting next year it'll be out in 2015 !

Aim for Christmas 2015 because there is a gap in the market for a big budget scifi action film then!! Do it Paramount you know you want to. Summer 2015 would be a bad idea due to that other 'Star' thing.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yep, that's pretty much what I was actually getting at - popularity!

13. ralph

was Star Trek popular in China?

star trek2009 box office - 8,556
    STID2013 box office - 56,910

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Chinese market has developed dramatically for Hollywood films since 2009, so there was room for a huge increase there. Japan was already a mature market for Hollywood films in 2009, so while there's room for significant improvement with a bigger marketing push, there's not as much room for growth as in China. STID may well double or triple the Japanese gross of Star Trek, but more than that will be tough.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, they'll definitely put it over $450M, if it's not already there, by the time it opens, but, they only brought in about $5.8M for ST'09, so, it's very unlikely they'll bring in $54M+ (US take is now down to less to than $500,000 per day, and will continue getting smaller, and leaving theaters, so, Japan is about all the big jump left)

16. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Hopefully people won't think you have to be 50 to watch it.

Nice to see Star Trek's Damon Lindelof get the credit for rescuing World War Z from financial ruin, and its initial D+ test score.

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Didn't need to be 50 to watch Skyfall.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

From last week on there are 5 countries that have/will release STID. Im guessing $2-3 million from 4 of those countries, and $10-12 million from Japan. We're looking at $465 million tops. Still a good total.

RAMA

19. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I would but my Japanese "friend" (wife) lives with me here. :rommie:

20. ralph

Ok, but, I think, she has japanese friends there.:techman: