Die Hard V - Not Looking Good...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captaindemotion, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Die Hard, of course, has greater name recognition.

My personal view is that the standards for PG-13 have grown more lax over time, which allows for a Die Hard PG-13 movie without noticeable disruption. But, if they want to make it R-rated, it's not that big of a deal. The loss in revenue will probably not be overly dramatic for this movie.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think most DH fans are of a certain age, having seen it or the first few sequels in the cinema first time round. The name probably won't mean an awful lot to under-18s anyway.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Maybe. If you are 16/17yrs old the last DH was 5yrs ago AND PG-13. Making you 11/12yrs old so it's highly possible it's teen audience might be stronger than you'd think.

Which could turn out to seem an incredible sense of accidental foresight that the studio seeded a younger generation into the DH franchise to then boost this one right back to R, thus pleasing everyone and growing the fanbase.

My thoughts were that DREDD suffered from being released between Resident Evil Retribution and Looper which became a break out hit. That and not having a marque value name, despite great reviews played into it's downfall and not it's R rating.

On Thursday, the 17th, they are announcing the theaters that will have an all day DH marathon build up to the movies release.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh it's not the whole reason Dredd failed, just one part of it, but I think it did contribute.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmamWjsb_k[/yt]

This clips makes me feel a little better about Willis' acting. In that clip his more lively than in the entire Die Hard 4 film.

And that punch sounds like it's straight from the original Die Hard. Gotta love that.

Music sucks (I just hate Beltrami, incorporating the McClane theme here and there doesn't make up for the rest of absolutely bland and generic action scoring). The blue tint absolutely sucks, why can't they just go for realistic color grading?

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Looks great, can't wait for this movie :D

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Having the exact same plot as The Raid didn't help either...

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Which wasn't there fault given they went into production first. I never saw the raid but I did hear Dredd at least had characters you could root for whereas the Raid was just one long fight scene...

Besides cop(s) trapped in a building full of people trying to kill them isn't exactly original.

9. Lonemagpie

Yeah, just a shame

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Not the first time though, these things happen. I remember reading an interview with Fincher when he was talking about Alien 3 and said that as they were filming the bit where they dump molten metal over the alien they heard about Terminator 2...

Dredd at least is doing well on DVD/BluRay/Netflix! :)

11. Captain Craig

Same here.

I'm doing the marathon on 2/13!!

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

In addition to that clip that Jarod posted, there's two more clips out there, both featuring McClane and his son.

I've started off my countdown today with the first Die Hard. And you know, no matter how good and fun this new one may be, it will never match the first one (I'd argue the first three). Those movies will probably never be topped...they just don't make them like that anymore.

13. Captain Craig

I don't think the series has a bad movie. All 4 are great.

I may like IJ4 but I can understand some folks gripes with it.
    I don't hate Rocky 5, but I understand why some see it as weaker.
    This saga doesn't have a Tokyo Drift as I see it.
    There isn't a Rambo 3 for this series.

All 4 DH films to date are awesome cinema experiences and I look for the newest one to stay on track!!!

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I love the first 3 Die Hard films, so I'll always watch four with an open mind. After all, it did take me a while to warm up to Lethal Weapon 4, but I do enjoy that movie now, even though it is the weakest of the four films.

As for some news on five, rumor has it that the runtime is around 90 minutes. This is a little troubling, as the last four films have all been about two hours. Makes you wonder if it was either a longer movie, or an R rated movie. Like Fox wouldn't let them have both. Now I know a shorter running time doesn't necessarily mean it will be bad, just that it might not be as big on story or character as the first three were.

15. Lonemagpie

And after all defending of it, 97 minute runtime and all...

Ah, fuck. The director's so proud of making sure it's a proper R-rated movie this time, so naturally in the UK it gets cut down to be a 12A instead of a 15. I guess I'll be waiting for the inevitable "harder cut" DVD to see A Good Day To Die Hard. And they better fucking not pull that "12 DVD, uncut 15 Blu-Ray" shit, or I'm off to the torrent sites first chance I get. Jeez and they wonder why people download....

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/bbfc_latest.htm#Daily_UK_Ratings_from_the_BBFC_4814

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh you're kidding?! :( shite...

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that's me not seeing it at the cinema then.

18. Lonemagpie

"During post-production, the distributor sought and was given advice on how to secure the desired classification. Following this advice, certain changes were made prior to submission This work was originally seen for advice in an unfinished form. The company was advised that the film was likely to receive a 15 certificate but that their preferred 12A classification could be achieved by making a number of cuts to both language and visuals. When the finished version of the film was submitted for formal classification, edits had been made:

• to reduce the number of uses of strong language (both fuck and motherfucker) and
    • to reduce sequences of bloody violence, including blood sprays when characters are shot in the head, and punches to restrained individuals.
    The formal submission was consequently rated '12A'."

So I guess we won't be hearing the signature line

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well you can say fuck in a 21A...but can you say motherfucker?

20. Lonemagpie

It'll probably be like the last one, where the middle of the word was drowned out by something else (a gunshot, in that one)