Ewww.. SGU let's have some freaking protocol

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Aug 31, 2012.

1. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

The ship never had the power to last 1000 years. If Eli messed up like that then they'd all die.

But... being competent to run a scientific facility built by Earth and being competent to explore the universe and work with alien technology are not even close to being the same thing. It's like criticizing a plumber for his crappy electric work.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, yes, I suppose. But everyone involved in the Stargate program has some sort of working knowledge of Ancient technology. And if push came to shove, the Atlantis database must have something about Destiny that should prove useful.

For that matter, why didn't anyone look up Destiny in the Atlantis database. It was the database where they found the nine chevron address, presumably they must have something in there about the ship. Even if for some reason there wasn't they could have thrown in a line. For example, in Seizure have McKay go on about how strange it is that there's nothing in the database about Destiny.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Tens of Thousands if not millions of years could have passed between Destiny and the city ships. As the ancients looked elsewhere such as into Ascension, Destiny could simple have been forgotten about, lost or destroyed. Given the possible timescales invovled it's really not that suprising that something might have been lost/overlooked/forgotten about etc...

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ask the kids today what's the name of the Voyager mission after describing it, no one will know.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And to think by the end 2014, Voyager 1 might enter Interstellar space.

6. The Wormhole

Fine. But that could have been mentioned in the show. One line, say in Serizure. Have McKay say something along the lines of "you know, it's funny. We've been all through the database in Atlantis and there's no mention of this ship at all."

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm pretty sure it was said at some point in the show that Destiny was way older than any Ancient technology they had yet come across.

I mean, I assume the Ancients were a fairly large civilization. For all we know, Destiny was the pet project of some super wealthy Alterran businessman.

8. teacake

Plus had they really been through all the databases in Atlantis? It seems they were constantly discovering new chunks of that place.

9. The Wormhole

What, the Ancients never invented a search engine? No one bothered to enter in Destiny and see what results popped up?

10. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering what we know of the Ancients, they probably thought they evolved passed the need to use them and didn't make one for the Atlantis database.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe they did, and maybe nothing came up. Just because the database came from the Ancients doesn't mean that it contains every single thing the Ancients ever did.

12. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

According to Thor the Asgard had been studying an Ancient repository of knowledge for as long as he could remember, and they had 'barely scratched the surface'. It's also possible that something like the Destiny was lost in time. I mean, this is millions of years of history we're talking about. Then again, wasn't the address found in Atlantis' database?

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

They got the name Destiny from the ship itself, as languages evolve and change over time the name Destiny might not be correct in the Atlantis Database.

14. The Wormhole

Indeed it was. Most of the time, the datbase had some sort of info about the destination.

15. gturner

gturner Admiral

If the Atlantis database was like wikipedia, over the course of a million years it would've accumulated 50 million pages on new teenage pop sensations, a hundred pages on teen singers and bands named "Destiny", but only three pages on "Destiny (Starship)", and two of them would still be about bands.

16. teacake

You just have to know how to search a wiki to cut through all that.

However. Perhaps a there was an editing war and the hacktivist group Ancient Anonymous successfully deleted all reference to the ship and replaced it with some hilarious Destiny, like Destiny Galaxy the fail spin off of their version of My Little Pony. And they are still laughing their ascended asses off about it.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Anytime you search for Destiny in the database, you end up getting Rick Rolled.

18. NKemp3

NKemp3 Commodore Commodore

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is I personally could punch everyone in the face who shows these "negative traits" in real life. So it's a default turn off on television.

What annoys me the most is the "I won't tell you what I know, just to make things complicated". I absolutely hate it. A version of it is "I won't ask you what I want to know, just to make things complicated." That's terrible and painful to watch. Especially when nobody but a complete psycho would react like that in a similar real life situation. I wouldn't, you wouldn't, and if you actually would, I would kill you.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Exactly

I don't watch Political News anymore, precisely because I'm not entertained by the Self Serving Politicians, whose primary goal is to make the other side look bad, rather then solve the problems they were elected to solve. I like to debate Politics, but, lately that's become impossible, because people no longer actually debate the issues, they nitpick the meaning of words, and throw shiny balls in the air for you to chase, so, you'll get frustrated and accept the lack of debate on the actual issue.

As far as Business Leaders go, I certainly agree, they are self serving and care more about the money going into their pocket then about your ability to put food on your family's table, but, they aren't petty and Negative the way Politicians and the SGU S1 characters are, no one would tolerate that treatment from a CEO, and they would be replaced, because that's NOT Leadership.