Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I successfully made it through When the Bough Breaks last night. It's as painful as ever.

I've never found a definitive answer to the question about the kids' promotion during the first season. Paramount solicited entries from children, and the winner would have a walk-on in a future episode.

I always assumed that one of the kids in this episode was the winner, but now I realize it might have already been in the can when the promotion was running.

Does anyone know who won and in which episode the child appeared? Thanks.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I really don't find WtBB to be that bad, overall. It has some corny moments for sure (mostly the ending which is a freeze-frame short of a sitcom but also common to TNG's first season.)

But it's pretty decent overall.

3. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I agree. The ending could have been much better, but they fixed the planet and you never heard about again. Would have been nice to visit it later in the series to see how much progress had been made in the relearning of everything on Aldea and if they had starting procreating again.

BTW, nice avatar!

4. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

"Sins" is another one that comes to mind that had the freez-frame ending in the council chamber.

5. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I notice uk Sci Fi channel is starting TNGHD on the 5th November; be interesting to see if the 2 part Farpoint is the same, and if its all widescreen. The trailer was.

7. Chris2005

Chris2005 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I doubt it'll be widescreen, or at least I hope not, because making it widescreen would have to crop the top and bottom off the frame... I hope they show it in full frame...

8. picard_2305

picard_2305 Lieutenant Red Shirt

TNG looks amazing on blu ray. I can't wait for season 2. It's hard to to believe how much transferring to video tape washed out the picture. I also love how the effects are all reconstructed

I take it after seeing the blu rays no one could go back to the originals versions? I loaned my season 1 DVD to a friend and I said she could keep it as with the blu ray I feel this is the definitive version of TNG.

Are peopl tading in their DVDs. I usually keep them if DVD is a diff version or is signed but to me TNG on blu ray is to me the definitve way.

9. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I just bought Season 1 for 33 EUR (=42 USD) including shipping. Is this a good offer/bargain?

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Sounds awesome. I paid $80 for mine.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its great if its the Bluray copy. I paid $60

12. Reeborg

Let's hope so, I thought it was when ordering. :lol:

13. Reeborg

How do I know, that I (will) have the "corrected" version without the initial audio issues?

14. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The corrected version has a small starfleet emblem on the discs and I think on the outer spine of the case too.

15. Reeborg

16. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

17. Reeborg

I received my pack today.

So you mean, the small one just written above the "Disc One" on disc 1???

First impressions:
    - Very small package, GOOD!
    - What the hell, I can't read the menu it's too small on my 32" set??? Why did they do it that small while the whole frame is pratically empty. This is ridiculous (ly stupid)!!!
    - This light is very critical (bad) on TNG, very bright on one half of the face and very dark on the other one. The blu-ray version seems to make this even worse. Is this only my TV or do others have the same impression.
    - I was rather disappointed on the special features of disc 1.

So far I am not (positively) impressed, still having to (really) watch the episodes themselves.

Question: What episode is the visually most impressive?

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by the bad light. Personally, I think all the episodes I've watched so far look fantastic. What kind of TV do you have?

19. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

What kind of tv set do you have? I've had no issues with text size, or the lighting issues you've mentioned. Perhaps your set isn't calibrated properly?

20. Reeborg

Bad light: The light is usually coming from the side leaving one side of the face high lighted and the other side of the face is rather in the dark with a very strong contrast on the face. It's where they put the light and with what intensity and focus. Often the background is very dark too. Maybe my TV is badly adjusted, although I find it more annoying with TNG than other shows on DVD/BD.

I have a 32 inch HD TV set from LG. And there, the menus are VERY small (I can't read them from 3 meters distance) while the frame is 90% empty (only background image in the center). Apparently one should have a 50 inch TV to enjoy the blu-rays.