Kes on Acid

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Boy Wonder, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but that's obviously the fact here.

As for allergics, they can show up sudden and very unexpected.

And when someone is smeared in the face with the same goo for more than three years, there might be some unwanted and unexpected effects out of it. Obviously they didn't have the time (or didn't care) to find an alternative glue, instead they settled for the "long hair" solution.

2. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Lieutenant

Actually you have a point. If she was truly allergic to the damn glue, who did it take three years to manifest?

Was it enough though that Garret made the hottest list. As Sci Fi is primarily skewed towards males, would they even care if he made the list? I can tell you I do not tune it see Garrett and say "Ohhh, He's so dreammmyyyy."

Maybe Kes did stuff those Hypos with GHB and Ice.

3. Lynx

Well, allergies are tricky things. They can develope during many years and then suddenly appear out of nowhere. I remember a guy who I worked together with some years ago who suddenly developed an allergy against some flower (I think it was hyacints). His wife liked them and they had had a couple of them at their home for many years. That may have caused the reaction.

In the Lien case, it's possible that three years of daily use of that glue which was used for the Ocampa ears triggered an allergy which broke out in the middle of season 3. Since they were working on a tight scedule, the only way to solve the problem fast was to omit the ears totally by letting her have long hair instead.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well you could still see the ears in some shots of her after the long hair, so they probably use the ears but did not have the glue and it probably showed so the hair masked any inpefections in how they were attached.

5. Lynx

As for how allergy works, see my previous post.

As for Wang being among "The 50 most handsome" in that silly inside poll among the staff of a magazine, well obviously B&B&T did seem to care about such polls.

As for GHB and ice, I don't think that such mixture would be possible to use. :rolleyes:

FleetLord wrote:
    Hmm...never noticed that, I guess I have to re-watch those episodes. But your theory may be right. The only thing I did notice is that in "Worst Case Scenario" she has the short hairstyle but she's not wearing the Ocampa ears.

6. Odo's_Bucket

Odo's_Bucket Commander Red Shirt

So she became allergic to the glue and decided to leave. It's that simple. No mystery there. Then a bunch of fans decided they must have let her go for sniffing glue. Typical.

7. Lynx

Not entirely correct. She didn't leave because of the allergic. She was kicked out because someone had to go when Seven was brought in and the first choice, Wang was saved by that inside poll among the staff of a magazine.

8. Odo's_Bucket

"Nuns. No sense of humor."
    - Clancy Brown as 'The Kurgan' in "HIGHLANDER"

9. Odo's_Bucket

Kes was by far the worst Star Trek character and Jennifer Lien was by far the worst actress. I'm glad they 'let her go'.

10. Lynx

Sorry, but I've always had a problem with people showing malice over the bad luck of others.

As for Kes, she's definitely one of Trek's best characters. There have been a couple of weak ones but Kes is definitely not among them.

As for Lien, her acting skills led to a role in the highly rewarded quality movie "American History X".

11. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Okay, now you're just trolling. Knock it off or it's a warning.

12. Odo's_Bucket

Stating an opinion is not trolling. Running around and telling everyone that they are for having an opinion other than what all the 'good little worker drones' have might be though. This is not Nazi Germany and I have the right to dislike a Star Trek character and point out my reasons why. Sorry about your bruised ego, but I don't think Jennifer Lien can act her way out of a paper sack. She weakened the show. That is why most of the episodes that involve Kes as part of the main story line, are some of my least favorites. Warn me all you want but it's not going to make Kes a a better character, Jennifer Lien a better actor, or me anymore of a fan of either.

13. Captain Gandalf

Captain Gandalf Commodore Commodore

As an actress, she certainly was good enough to stay on the show, and if the Kes character would have stayed on the ship, it might have made the journey more interesting. I never understood TPTB's motivation to let her go because Seven came on board. Seven and Kes might have developed an interesting relationship, kinda like Spock and Bones.
    Anyway, I was not happy to see her leave.
    Both the character and the actress deserved better.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

A friend of mine was a florist for 15 years, but had to sell the shop when he developed an allergy to flowers and pollen during the last few years.

I broke out in a rash to my regular deodorant stick (one of those almost-everlasting alum sticks), and it wasn't that they'd changed the formula, because it was the same stick I've had for about five years. I had to stop using it for a month, and now it seems okay again.

Michael Dorn says he has permanent blemishes on his temples, a reaction to the glue he developed over the last few wears of performing Worf.

15. Odo's_Bucket

As for the allergic reaction to the glue taking so long to show up, there was a man I knew from the army that, after five years of service, developed an allergic reaction to CLP. CLP is a solution used to clean military weapons. He ended up being discharged on a medical because the reaction lead to further problems.

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Specificaly, Scorpion Part 1, i watched I the other day and noticed it. I will see if i can pull a screencap.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  17. Clym

Clym Captain Captain

Kes was one of the blandest and most boring characters on a series largely made up of bland characters. Haven't seen Lien in anything else so I can't comment on her talent.

18. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but coming onto a show's forum and trashing the show without backing it up is considered trolling and can earn you a warning. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and suggest you review the rules which are posted in the Announcements forum at the top of the board.

19. Clym

Clym Captain Captain

wtf? I was just expressing my opinion of a Trek character. What kind of backup do you need?

I think there were good characters too - the Doctor - do I need to give back up for that too?

I'm going back to the DS9 forum :rolleyes:

20. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Lieutenant

Clym, you cannot express a negative opinion on a Star Trek character on this subsection, otherwise you get told off. :rolleyes:

About Kes and the glue, could they not have used a different glue, a natural one, that did not affect her?

Can someone please tell me the science behind suddenly developing an allergic reaction after not having one for years please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.