Would a Captain Sulu series have killed trek?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by mahler5, Apr 6, 2008.

1. mahler5

mahler5 Lieutenant Commander

Should they have gone with a Captain Sulu based series instead of Voyager?
    What would the effect on Trek have been?
    Thoughts?:cool:

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe a Captain Sulu series would have worked 15 years ago. I would have certainly watched it, as I was in love with the Excelsior at the time and considered Sulu to be a Captain with mucho gravitas. I think the effect of such a series would have been a positive one, at least for me. I love the movie era Star Trek, it's my favorite. I love the ships, the uniforms, the technology, I love it all, and I would have happily continued on to whatever Trek afterward to see what awaited me.

With VOY, I didn't feel that way. Less than a season into it I started fading. I was still on a TNG high and didn't like the darker feel of DS9 (yet) but didn't like the clinical, bland feel of VOY (still don't). Now, your mileage may vary, but after VOY, I was hesitant to see what was next, because it just seemed, oh, I don't know, foreboding because if VOY had become milquetoast (and for me it was certainly that), what would follow?

So for me, yes a Captain Sulu series would have had a more positive effect. As for the franchise, I believe so as well.

J.

3. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Takei had the presence necessary to make such a series work well. He's ok but just not as the main lead.

4. smetna

smetna Cadet

I am not sure it would have killed trek, but I am not sure that George could have handled a lead position in a major tv series.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would have taken Trek off TV at least three years earlier than the way things turned out. Hey, we could have had the first "nuTrek" movie out in theaters by 2006! :lol:

6. Garrovick

Garrovick Guest

It depends...

What if the characters, stories, writers and production staff were exactly the same?

Just Sulu and the Excellsior replaced Voyager and Janeway?

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Takei instead of Mulgrew?

In the toilet. And I'm no fan of Mulgrew's.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering how UPN wanted their Star Trek (to hold them up as a network and play it safe) and the type of shows B&B put out, would it basically be Voyager-quality and Voyager-type scripts for Excelsior?

I thought a Takei/Excelsior series could've worked -- until I saw him on Voyager and realized how crappy he would've been as a lead.

I would've liked to have seen a series set during the red uniform era, but a better choice might've been to see a Harriman show. How does a rookie captain react to 1) the changing times in the Federation, and 2) Kirk dying on his watch. With Alan Ruck, I also think it might've been a good chance for the captain not to be the lead of the show. Make it more of an ensemble where the captain gets the "and" credit. Maybe make the first officer the star.

9. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Takei doesn't have the chops to be the lead. He's merely a supporting player.

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the same, then I saw him on Heroes. I think he'd have done fine, given better dialogue than what he was seated with on Voyager. It's too late now of course, but I think that in the 90s it would have been fun.

Mark

11. zenophite

I think it's important to note though that Takei is not a central player on Heroes and has had most of his lines in a foreign language. Even with that I think it is fairly easy to see that Takei is strictly a supporting actor.

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The only way it would have worked is if William Hung played Sulu. And sang at the end of each episode.

13. Takomaguy

Takomaguy Captain Captain

15 years ago, huh?

Would you hired the Village People to sing the theme song, too?

Seriously though, I think a Captain Sulu show might have worked set in the 24th Century if Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa had played the Sulu's grandson. Especially, if Star Trek ever took and edgy turn.

Some may say he's getting up in year but he still looks like he could kick some ass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. zenophite

^^^ Commodore or admiral Sulu maybe? But I wholeheartedly agree he would be kick ass! I would definitely watch that!

15. Takomaguy

"Admiral Sulu." It's got a ring to it...

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

^
    Would he still carry around the gong he used in Encounter at Farpoint?

17. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would've much preferred this series to VOY. I think the TOS movies and Kirk's role in GEN were still relatively fresh when VOY premiered, and I think this show could've built on that.

I think Takei would be an okay lead. Of course it would work best if it was an ensemble show with some younger actors. But I would've loved to see the 'Lost Era' explored more. There was still the peace process with the Klingons, the saving of Qo'noS, the Tomed Incident, etc, etc. So many cool things could've been explored on a Excelsior show. Plus, it could've allowed for some TOS guest starring. It's a shame that it never came to fruition.

Also, I liked the idea of a Harriman show as well.

18. Takomaguy

Harriman was a pussy.

Forget Takei. Take the basic Voyager premise and tweak it. No divided crew. No Neelix, no Piss or whatever her name was. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, playing Sulu's grandson, Admiral Sulu leads a lightning raid against Cardassians. In an attempt to save a Federation settlement, Sulu wins the battle, but his ship is tossed into another quadrant or dimension. Either way he and his crew are tough and resourceful. They will fight to get home.

That would have worked.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Um, I think "no divided crew" WAS Voyager's problem, especially since they completely neutered the Maquis/Starfleet conflict at the end of the pilot.

An Excelsior show could've worked if Takei wasn't the star, but would he have gone for a supporting role?

20. Takomaguy

It would have worked logically to have them at each other's throats all the time, while at the same time they were struggling to stay alive.

Lokk at history. Back in Viet-Nam you had racial tension between SOME balck and white troops. If you go back an read the accounts, that all disappeared in a hot LZ.

No. That idiot Berman, instead of trying to make a social statement, or make "Trek history" should have put a rock hard crew together, and make the tension surround how they would get home, struggling each day to survive. Kind of like the BSG reboot.

Berman emasculated Star Trek. I'm afraid this wuss movie will be just as bad.

What Paramount needed was a treatment from Saul Tigh.