NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

There is an NFL Coaches Association (like the NFLPA), but it is non-union. Coaches would be dis-incentivized from forming a union based on the tenuous way the coaching carousel works in the NFL. As head coaches are fired/quit/promoted, the opportunity for assistants to become head coaches means they wouldn't want to collectively bargain their rights.

Plus, I believe that Head Coaches are effectively "front office management", and the assistants are all employees of their respective team. A union in an environment where employees are fired/promoted up and down from management to regular employee almost at the drop of a hat would be unstable, and its not in the coaches' best interests to support one.

In the case of Sean Payton, that kinda sucks. He has no recourse for his suspension, because the league is the arbiter of that discipline. Well, the league is also the one who suspended him, so he's screwed.

2. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

3. tighr

NFL Network has the absolute worst broadcast team of all of the networks. The camera-work is shoddy, the audio is horrible, and that says nothing about the horrendous commentators. Watching an NFL Network broadcast sometimes feels like watching a local cable access production of a high school game.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Bears / Rams just featured a tipped pass leading to an interception, leading to a long return, leading to a fumble, which led to a long return, which may or may not have ended in another fumble.

I'm not making this shit up.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ And the rent-a-refs took 7+ minutes to figure it out.

The head rent-a-ref said "Saint Looie" :guffaw:

6. tighr

Speaking of rent-a-refs, I just saw on Redzone channel that an official threw his hat on the field during a redzone drive by the Cowboys; Ogletree was heading into the endzone to try and catch the pass and SLIPPED ON THE HAT.

Now, I know officials tend to throw things on the field (usually, beanbags) to mark spots, but in this case that actually affected the play. Ogletree could have caught that pass for a touchdown.

7. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Saints got screwed by having that TD at the end of the half taken away..... There was nothing that definitively showed that the ball was incomplete, and a couple of the views made it look like it was good. That screw up could be big if the Saints end up losing by 7pts or less.

8. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh they blow. But I still wanna see me some football.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yep, I feel the same way. I don't care if their presentation is terrible. I'm just glad I can watch the Thursday night games, finally.

10. tighr

And..... they got hosed again, on another interesting challenge. Personally, I would say the spirit of the rules say that if you hit the pylon but land out of bounds, that's incomplete. But he clearly hits the pylon before going out of bounds, and according to the rules, that should be a touchdown.

And, Brees throws an interception, so -2 pts for me in fantasy.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The Bears get a Major interception for a TD!

12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph....

Our defense played fairly well, but our offense was unbelievably terrible. That was just flat out embarrassing. As many sacks as points. Just disgusting.

This is going to be a long week.

Congrats Timby. You bastard.

:scream:

;)

13. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, though I have a hard time holding that one against them too much. While they screwed that one up, it's a rule that doesn't make a ton of sense and I didn't even realize it existed until the commentators started talking about it. While it's a rule (ergo, they should know it), at least it's not a completely obvious thing that they blew. And, the Saints did end up getting the TD on that drive.

With that game going to overtime, it suddenly looks like that 10pt swing from the botched review is a pretty big deal now.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I am so fucking confused right now.

15. tighr

I'm not exactly sure (was watching it via an online stream) but I think the Broncos/Texans game didn't have a commercial break until just now in the middle of the 2nd quarter... no reason to, CBS was live at all of the early games that went to overtime!!

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't popped in down here this season as my team isn't really worth crowing about, still isn't really. However, I just got home from that crazy Titans v Lions game.

So, who took the over in Vegas on that game? Titans 44 vs Lions 41 in OT.
    If you haven't seen highlights from it yet just wait.

It was an emotional roller coaster for sure. I'm not sure who the refs were screwing more at times.

17. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Vikings/49ers game had the refs give Harbaugh two challenges/time outs after he'd already burned all three time outs... and the refs said that the 49ers would be charged time outs that they didn't have. It was ridiculous.

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

We got officials tripping people with hats, not knowing pylon rules, calling St. Louis St. Louie... just another bad weekend all around for the fake refs.

19. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully the end of the Jets/Dolphins game is a trigger for the end of the icing the kicker biullshit. Good to see it completely backfire on Miami, even if it does give the Jets a win.

I feel bad for Sam Bradford because he O line apparently went out for drinks with the Bears' O line last night and picked up a few bad habits.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Wow, the refs in the Pats/Ravens game are a hot mess so far... :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.