Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.2%
  2. A

27.1%
  3. A-

14.7%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

13.5%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

My suspicion is that he will take the mantle of Captain America after Captain America 3.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I figured that but with 9 picture deals, it may take awhile. Perhaps he'll be an ally in a possible Blackwidow movie or two.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Each Quinjet had a number too, except for the Insight ones which had serial numbers starting with the IN ship they were loaded into.

Interestingly the Quinjet Hawkeye commendeered in the Avengers has 88 on the tail, one of the numbers of the new carriers before being re-rendered for the film.

Coulson mentions in AoS they used to just use multiple modified aircraft like the Bus for mobile ops "until we got 'a' helicarrier" implying the Avengers craft. It was likely the only one, with 64 painted on the hull and the turboprops hidden under the surface to give the impression of a normal aircraft carrier.

64 likely doesn't mean anything. Just a ruse for anyone who spots it while it's ocean going. In the air it engages the RRP and disppears from sight anyway.

So there are...sorry, were 4. 64's whereabouts haven't been given. It could be being refitted, cocooned, decommissioned, at Tony's place, won't know until they say. Which is either AoU May next year, or into 2016 maybe.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the Quinjet that the Winter Soldier stole from the Triskelion's own airfield to reach IN-01 had a "42" on the tailfin. Also a number used for earlier versions of one of the Insight-class 'Carriers before they were re-rendered.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Still, Coulson's more up to date statement implies 64 is one of a kind. Fury's remark to Steve that Tony looked it over and gave them the specs necessary for the 'next gen' ones resulted in the Insight series.

There's one left, and no one knows where it is, and I doubt they've forgotten about it.

6. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, I think the one original is the most logical thing. But I'd also be ok with it having been decommissioned for the new three. SHIELD still having Helicarriers without having SHIELD would be a bit weird, no?

Either way, I refuse to believe the 64 means there are 63 other Helicarriers out there even if people think there's more than one.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

IIRC the "old" helicarrier was damaged, but still flying by the end of 'Avengers' so I doubt it'd be decommissioned. I'd like to think that at some point in the future, it'll become homebase for the Bus crew and/or Fury's invisible flying fortress. Maybe retrofitted with the new repulsor jets and an onboard arc reactor for continuous flight like the Insight ones.

8. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

After Avengers 3, technically, since that will come out after Cap 3.

Which makes me wonder whether they're going to adapt the Civil War storyline in that phase.

9. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, that's the only holdup. The way for it to work best would have been for Cap 3 to come after Avengers 3. Then he could logically die at the end of that.

Avengers 3 has a too obvious Thanos plot for it to have any kind of Civil War plot. And, in some ways, The Winter Soldier used the same themes anyway.

10. trekkiebaggio

They could hold off on Thanos for a while, they have films up to 2028 after all. I could see them continuing the themes introduced in TWS and now that HYDRA is out in force we could see them try and make the superheroes register with the government so they can keep tabs on them, perhaps even using the destruction caused to public property as a reason.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think the more logical approach is to hold off an any civil war type Avengers movie until after this Thanos/infinity stone thing is done. They've already explicitly established the location of two (possibly three if Loki's staff is indeed the Mind Gem) and at least one more likely to appear in GotG, especially with a character like Nebula running around.

Clearly, Phase 2 is as much about assembling the Infinity Gauntlet as Phase 1 was about assembling the Avengers.

As far as the fallout from Hydra's comeback party is concerned, I think that'll mostly be explored in AoS with the next Captain America movie being about the redemption of Bucky. If they do end up killing off Rogers, I'm of two minds as to which would be the best place to do it; a Civil War centric 'Avenger 4', or in Cap's own movie.

On the one hand, the sheer impact and importance of the event rather demands it be in an Avengers film, but it'd feel a bit off if something like that happened "off-screen" of the main Cap movies. Bit of a catch-22.

12. trekkiebaggio

I suppose one way to do it is have BuckyCap be an opponent of any registration act because he tries to live up to the ideals that Steve held dear.

If they even do the civil war story.

13. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe a Civil War adaptation would have to wait for Avengers 4 if they can manage to get the actors back. It would be a good main stream story, though. The only worrisome part would be Clor; but they don 't have to include that part.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I never read Civil War (I wasn't a comic reader at that point) but wasn't the whole point of it that one faction was exposing their secret identities and the other faction was fighting to keep them secret? Now I'm just guessing here, correct me if I'm wrong. But if that's true, in the MCU they don't really have secret identities so wouldn't it be a moot point?

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

It was also about being forced to become agents of the government. There were heroes that sided with registration, but did not reveal their secret identities to the public. Rather, those identities were treated as classified governmental secrets.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

They have plenty of time to set up a civil war. Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Wasp, and whoever they can add could be against the registration (along with the Cap).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Civil War is just a bad idea.
    There are actual villains with nefarious schemes to foil. Villains that have yet to be shown, a rich history of storylines that are good vs bad.

The MCU is just getting comfortable as part of the larger mainstream consciousness.
    You don't take these IP's that few, if any, outside of genre circles knew of that have in the last 6yrs become mega popular only to turn them against each other. You risk causing people to perhaps become disinterested.

Civil War works well as a comicbook storyline, in part, cause of all the dozens and dozens of side C-list characters to incorporate. For the big screen and such a smaller company of heroes it's not a good storyline to use as I see it.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Given the sweeping nature of Civil War, I actually wonder if it would be best served as a season long arc for AoS? Not yet obviously, but down the road a ways. I just think a film would struggle to fit it all in and it'd come off very rushed.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

20. Alidar Jarok

I've thought that before, but they shouldn't do it unless Downey wants to appear in tv for several weeks