DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The two essential Tommy Eliot stories are Hush by Loeb and Lee and Heart of Hush by Dini and Nguyen.

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Hush" isn't all that good. "Heart of Hush" is great, though. I would recommend reading all of Dini's run on Detective since it sets up a lot that "Heart of Hush" delivers on. Plus they are all damned good stories, especially the Joker Christmas one. That's one of my favorite comic stories of all time.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't say Hush wss good, just that it was essential. And it is, in that it's where we meet Tommy Eliot and learn who he is.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed Batman: Hush. It certainly helps that Jim Lee did the art. If I did read Heart of Hush I must not have liked it because I have no memory of it...

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah "Hush" is an essential read but it's really mediocre. I don't hold it in high regard as many other fans do.

As for "Batman: Eternal" we have to keep in mind that it is a launching pad for other books and events taking place around it, in other words, introducing concepts and elements that will eventually or already have appeared in other books. So if something doesn't make sense right away...it might in something else.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The Arkham story is mostly confined to all the Fawkes issues. The Batgirl/Red Hood and Red Robin as well as the Batman primary story are all much better. And of course Eternal's main strength is its art direction. Instead of a mish-mash of artists like in DC previous weeklies they have gone for guys neglected by Big 2 or unspotted gems.

7. shivkala

I understand, I'd just hate to see someone waste the money on a mediocre story. All you need to know about it can be found on The Wikipedia page for Hush.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Hush was supposed to be one of the best Batman stories from the last couple decades? I don't really remember exactly where I got that idea.

9. Admiral_Young

Many consider it to be. But there are those (we're probably in the few) who think it overrated. I like the character and his backstory, just didn't like the story at all.

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Hush was a good story. It was better than abut 75% of Morrison's run, easily, and 100% of Scott Snyder's. I wouldn't say its the best Batman story ever, but it was solidly entertaining as a story.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hush is vastly overrated.

12. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Hush is good, but I've never really considered it one of the definitive Batman stories.

13. shivkala

Wow, I disagree. I loved Morrison's and Snyder's runs (mostly pre-New 52 since I gave up collecting comics a year into the New 52).

I think there was a good idea behind Hush, but dragging it out over a year with Jeph Loeb's attempts at misdirection really hurt it. "Heart of Hush" was a more personal story for Bruce, which made it infinitely better in my book.

I will say, the twist at the end of Hush, in which we learn who had discerned Bruce's identity and why that person will never tell it, was a great one. That being said, there are a million loopholes in the idea, there, but it's still a solid comic book logic idea.

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Morrison was ok, but his run had a lot of problems. He lost me completely with RIP and what he did to Jason Todd in a few issues of Batman & Robin (seriously, no one has ever written Jason Todd worse than Grant Morrison). I liked Damien, and Morrison did some good stuff with Damien and Bruce and Damien with Dick Grayson. He also did some solid arcs here and there, but a lot of his run ended up being convoluted junk, especially in the last part of his run where he just lost his mind. He also created the worst new Batman villains since the goofiest parts of the silver age.

Snyder is just bad. Court of Owls was stupid, and character assassination when it comes to Batman. Snyder also has no ability to write the Joker. At all. He writes Joker worse than Morrison wrote Jason Todd. Snyder is easily the most overrated Batman writer.

I really don't see any issues with the first Hush story. It had a good villain, and the story was interesting. The Poison Ivy stuff was pointless and could have been cut completely, but even that did finally give us Batman unmasking to Catwoman, so it had a point. Honestly, the only "problem" is that Hush was never particularly interesting or relevant in any later appearances. I think he probably just should have died after the arc. He's a good (but one note) villain in my opinion.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

What does everyone think of the Batgirl #37 controversy..

It's odd that it looks like a girl.. only a girl, until the cowl comes off, then it's a strange girl/ boy combination.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never met a transgender person is there some homogenous look that they all should have? We don't expect homogeny in other ethnicity or races do we? Seems to be this could just be one of those damn if you do/damn if you don't scenarios.

They mention how they could "go on for what their intentions were/weren't" but just acknowledge the outrage instead. A segment is always going to scream about representation, then it happens(under what I'm guessing here was faithful intent) and instead it's met with outrage.

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm not really familiar with Batgirl anymore since the nu52, but the bits and pieces I've picked up from message boards was that there was already a transgendered character in the series that was written (by Gail?) respectfully and without relying on stereotypes and issue #37 was a major step backward by (the new creative team) having another that played the stereotypes all up.

Maybe someone who is a regular reader of the book knows for certain.

18. Admiral_Young

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Swamp Thing #40 - final issue, going to miss the book. Sad it's numbers dropped to that point. That's one less DC book I'll be reading. They are pushing me into just about all trades.

I was already reading the GL line that way so the news of that families titles being cancelled doesn't affect my monthly buying.

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Some are thinking that there'll be a weekly Green Lantern title to replace the cancelled ones.