ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's... all... so... staggeringly beautiful.

Thanks for the photos of the actual box art and screencaps of the opening Blu ray animation.

I was hoping they'd raise the figures on the card slipcase. Looks more attractive than I'd thought.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Really looks amazing. What a good job they did.

3. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. ChristopherPike

Looks fantastic to me. Makes the DVDs seem like faded 1970s Eastmancolour by comparison.

6. ChristopherPike

Review up at Trekcore:
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/review-star-trek-enterprise-season-1-blu-ray/

Berman & Braga In Conversation looks like it'll be a highlight. Pity Shatner apparently priced himself out of the market, when they tried to get him onboard for one of TV Trek's last few storylines.

Then again, "In a Mirror Darkly" was one hell of a Plan B! Glad we didn't lose out on those episodes.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Interesting review, though some of the VFX screen caps do indeed look like they are 480i(or p) shots that have been up-converted rather than the alleged 720p. Shots like this one, this one and this one look sourced from SD, where as shots like this one appear to be 720p up-converted.

Guess it did come down to time, as I'd imagine it would have taken much longer to render the VFX behind Daniels in HD than the Valakian City shot.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It's unfortunate the up-res shows in some unavoidable aliasing, by that measure the transfers are not "perfect", however the comparisons really show an amazing vividness and clarity lacking in the DVD version. I'm still impressed.

9. ChristopherPike

That's probably it exactly. Demands on a weekly television. I'll admit looking at some of the screencaptures and hearing about FX upscaling, my expectations about an improved experience watching the episodes themselves, have good gone down a notch. But it seems to be as good as it'll ever get. It was state of the art High Definition mastering a decade ago, when most of us weren't able to see it that way I guess. Episodes torrented back in 2004/5, regularly had that "UPN HD simulcast" logo onscreen. Going out in 720i presumably. TNG has the popularity to justify rebuilding everything from scatch, for today's benchmark of 1080p. What's frightening is the sheer amount of CG over modelwork, reliance on it even, during the last decade of Trek and how that'll either need to be similarly upscaled, completely redone or else episodes forever left as they are in SD.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  10. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

This time around, it's definitely to be blamed on the original source rather than the current Blu-ray production. It's just unavoidable without re-rendering it all, I guess.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

What we've seen here is that there were more studio politics, UPN probs, and so on that caused the cancellation rather than quality, which ENT was at it's zenith with in season 4. This is contrary to the oft repeated mantra that ENT sucked and was cancelled for it.

RAMA

12. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only reason ENT was cancelled is because it was an expensive show that a lot of people weren't watching.

Don't let Braga fool you. Sure there was studio interference, but the producers and writers were still responsible for the quality of the episodes. I have no doubt that the studio gave some incredibly stupid notes to the producers, but that doesn't change the fact that B&B had no plan whatsoever for the show and the first two seasons were pretty much a pointless waste of time. I highly doubt that the studio gave notes like "We demand an episode were Trip gets pregnant" or "We'd really like to see an episode where the crew gets infected by dangerous alien pollen!". Of course they didn't.

As for the "critically acclaimed" fourth season, it's nothing more than a collection of poorly developed premises spread out across multiple episodes for budget reasons (why build sets for one episode, when we can use them for three?). Some worked (The Vulcan and Andorian arcs were quite entertaining) but most didn't (Augments? Klingon forehead mystery?) and the stand alone episodes were crap as always (Bound! These Are The Voyages! *shudder*). The overal poor quality is why people (like myself) stopped watching this show.

Of course, I haven't seen the extras on this set yet, but I am very curious if Braga can not only point out what didn't work (which isn't hard and something fans have been telling him for years) but if he can tell what his original plan was for the show and why he couldn't convince TPTB that this plan was the way to move forward.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  13. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He already did that on the Geek round table that got posted on TrekMovie. The original plan was to have season 1 be about building the Enterprise after a Klingon attack, gathering the crew, and dealing with politics. It didn't get approved because UPN wanted the "ship goes from place to place, alien of the week" formula of TNG.

14. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^That would have been an interesting first season. The avereage casual viewer would not have been too interested though.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The average casual viewer wasn't interested anyway.

16. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a diehard fan, and that story wouldn't have interested me.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

This.

I do wonder how much money they actually plan on spending on DS9 and Voyager HD restorations (if they do them)? Given that they didn't even spend the money to re-render the Enterprise effects that are obviously not HD.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I am not sure that Enterprise is much of an indicator of what will happen with those shows. It is the least popular entry in the franchise. Moreover, it was mastered in 1080p (minus the effects), unlike DS9 or VOY.

19. uberfalcon

uberfalcon Ensign Red Shirt

Even though Enterprise, to me, does not stack up to TNG or TOS, I'll probably end up buying all four blu-ray sets... and probably all the DS9 and VOY blu-ray sets when they come out.

Judge each series as you wish, but they're all better than most of the junk that passes for TV shows these days.

20. groundhog

groundhog Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hopefully, once they finish remastering DS9 and VOY in HD, they'll remaster ENT as well in this fashion.