Early UK Release For Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Mar 7, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek fans in the U.K. will get the see Star Trek into Darkness earlier than fans in the U.S., as the release date there has just been changed. “In summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness,” said an announcement regarding the event. The [...]

More...

2. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool :)

3. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I guess the place where Star Trek started doesn't count for much any more. :(

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, we Americans are getting slapped all over the place. Brits are taking all our Super Hero Roles (They cornered the market on meaty Villain Roles long ago, 'cause nothing says Villain like a British Accent ;) ), our movies are opening there first... ;)

I looked up the release date of Ironman 3, concerned about the openings being too close together and possibly hurting the UK earnings for STID and the UK Premiere for Ironman 3 also is earlier, premiering April 26, heck New Zealand is getting IM3 on April 18th

5. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I guess we've become the poster child for how NOT to worship a Franchise. :sigh:

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What's with that strange UK focus?

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're probably less likely to have it up on the internet seconds after release*

*Absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back this up

8. Kpnuts

Yeah don't they know the US is the centre of the universe?

9. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

seems fair. JJ is blowing the shit out of London so giving us the film first is the least he can do to say sorry :bolian:

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Having invented the World Wide Web, the U.K. has pushed itself to the forefront of the technology. There are now nearly seven people in the U.K. with internet connections, and many of them have computers too...:)

11. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's probably because Star Trek 2009 didn't do as well as expected, in foreign markets like the UK and Europe, where TNG had (still has) a huge following. One that even kept Nemesis reasonably afloat, in those markets, while it sank without trace in the US. Particularly Germany for some reason. Must've been all that expressionist architecture on Romulus and those Nosferatu bad guys.

Benedict Cumberbatch (even in the Hollywood "Hans Gruber" model of a Brit playing the Eurotrash villain) and a role for London, seems like a redressing of the balance - where there was (give or take 1 or 2 non-US actors in supporting roles) a largely American-centric feel throughout the Noughties with Enterprise and the last film.

Now I don't think that's a bad thing. Representation doesn't for one moment cross my mind while watching something. I grew up in the 80s and early 90s watching a mix of British and American shows, with rarely any kind of crossover. Whenever there was, usually each culture depicting a very stereotyped or tourist's view of the other. But somewhere along the line it became a bit more international, with Law and Order having a spin-off set in London and Torchwood upping sticks from Cardiff to the States. Star Trek TNG maybe started that trend by casting a wider net when it really didn't have to, not even coming back home to Earth all that often.

Of course, it's only the addition of a couple of scenes set in London and John Harrison probably isn't remotely British at all. He just has a naturally good speaking voice...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  12. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

We invented both internets. The one we all use, and the one owned by Her Maj The Queen. She's got all the best shit on there. LOLcorgis and junk and stuff.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You'll find Her Maj actually owns both. She just lets us use one of them.

I actually got the wrong one last week. The Corgis were cool !

;)

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

"Didn't do as well as expected" by whom, I'd have to ask? And what were the numbers* for the UK / Germany / Europe, versus numbers for the previous Trek films in those same markets?

Every time this issue is raised, it seems as if Star Trek (2009) is being compared to the sort of action movies which typically do double or triple overseas what they do domestically, while the typical pattern for Star Trek films has the domestic take at roughly double the international.

* i.e., % of Int'l. box office and/or % of worldwide totals?

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Al Gore is British? :eek:

16. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll just go ahead and retract what I said earlier and my reasoning for why other countries are getting the release, before the film's place of origin. Although so long as I've thrown a word like "probably" into a harmless little forum discussion like this (the equivalent of talk in a drinking establishment and not a CEO boardroom), it's all fair game.

Looking at this...
    http://trekmovie.com/2009/10/05/sta...rical-run-with-385m-full-box-office-analysis/
    ...and the focus on trying to improve International Box Office, especially non-English speaking places, Star Trek Into Darkness ought to be getting its world premiere in North Korea! :lol:

There's no film-by-film breakdown of domestic vs int'nl percentages for big screen Star Treks... (although you can calculate The Voyage Home did well, by subtracting one from the other). Instead the focus is on summer blockbusters instead and how the last one did 1/3 the business around the world, when closer to half is what they probably wanted.

And for the sake of argument, there's that word again...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  17. Kpnuts

Anyone here planning on seeing it in London? Will it be showing at the Empire Leicester Square as per every other Trek film (apart from Nemesis)?

Any idea when tickets will be available to book?

18. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I thought it was fairly well known that Trek (the movies anyways) generally doesn't do that great outside of the USA. When The Voyage Home was sold to non US distributors, that's actually what they called it: "The Voyage Home: Star Trek IV" and it had that little prologue of events from TWOK and TSFS to set up the story.

I wish everybody could get it earlier, of course, but I can also understand Paramount wanting to do whatever they can to maximize their investment.

19. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

So glad that were getting it 1st wasn't the premiere to the last film in Australia hopefully were get a good prem ??? Also I've noticed that three of the actors are from the UK BC Noel Clarke and Alice Eva !!! Brilliant cant wait !!! Let the darkeness begin !!!!

20. Cake

Cake Captain Captain