Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ZeNd, Jan 21, 2013.

1. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Yes, but I wasn't talking about her readiness for joining, but whether she came across as having what it took to be the person she was said to have been before joining.

2. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

I can believe it. It take years of preparation that Ezri didn't have and Dax, particularly Curzon, was a helluva lot to live up to. I think anyone would be a mess in the first few months.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Zonker and stardream like this.
  3. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I'm new here so sorry if this is being repeated.

I liked Ezri a lot. I think she had two huge things going against her, one, she was a replacement of a very well loved character, and two, she only had one season. Asside from just being adorable, I thought it was great the way she was unprepared for joining. Her struggle was interesting. It was previously very well established that trills train for a VERY long time to receive a slug. Ezri didn't want it, and was unprepared. Then on top of that she ended up back on DS9 where she still felt her friendships and love for someone who felt like a husband, while they all looked at her as a stranger and a reminder of their lost friend and wife.

4. OldManDoom

OldManDoom Lieutenant Red Shirt

She really is a weak character. Granted, one season to develop a somewhat new character isn't enough time. I tolerate her though because I've always had a huge celebrity crush on Nicole de Boer.

5. Lous

Lous Ensign Red Shirt

I loved Jadzia (yes, I recognize that writing was inconstant and contradictory, but she was my favorite character anyway) and as I watched recently I knew she would die. I thought I would hate Ezri (and I would surely hate it if I did not have time to get used to Jadzia's death and its replacement) but I fell in love with her, it was really cute. I think it made it easier to understand how the host / symbiont thing works. And I really think it would be a lot more interesting to see her with Jake than with Bashir.

SoullessMinion likes this.
  6. jmiller

jmiller Lieutenant Red Shirt

Now that's an idea, Jake and Ezri. I love that idea.

SoullessMinion likes this.
  7. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

Jake and Ezri--too much ew factor for me. Talk about a cougar...!
    Bad enough that she ends up with perennial child Bashir, although there is hope for him--he seems to have learned a lot during his time in the holosuites. :cool:

8. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't care much for Ezri Dax at all.

I liked Jadzia more.

9. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jake and Ezri is an interesting idea to contemplate. Jake is completely lost in the shuffle in the last season, so I like the notion of giving him something to do. On the other hand, there is something creepy about Curzon having known him as a baby...

Man, I love the Trill. Such a great concept for a species.

somebuddyX and Lous like this.
  10. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    You know I am curious when Ezri told Julian that had Worf not come along she would have fallen for him?

I wanted to know what everyone here though was more plausible

1. She was telling Julian what he wanted to hear or what she thought he wanted to hear.
    2. She was confused as a result of the joining and really didn't understand or mean what she said.
    3. She was telling the truth-She was(or her predecessor) was warming up to him/seeing him mature/appreciating his better qualities and would have fallen for him.

Which is the most plausible?

Lous likes this.
  11. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

I think she was telling the truth. She was trained as a counselor, and truth is important, even when it's uncomfortable. Look how she kept babbling about her own feelings of inadequacy.

12. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh god, I haaaaaaaaaated that moment, it felt fundamentally very false to me (and even if it didn't, that's an awful thing to say to someone!). It doesn't track with what I saw on screen during Terry Farrell's years on the show, I just don't believe any part of that character was telling herself "this guy is a good runner up, if no one better comes along." When Jadzia wanted someone, she went after them... just look at Worf. Jadzia was not someone to be interested in half-measures. If she didn't find someone she fully wanted to commit to, she would have been perfectly happy to be single.

The way I view Jadzia/Bashir is that she wouldn't have been opposed to hooking up with him, but valued him as a friend and knew that for him it would be more emotional/romantic than it would be for her, so she knew it best not to go there.

But I like explanation #2 you suggest, that's good head canon. To supplement: maybe what Ezri was speaking to was a mix of Jadzia's pre-existing intimacy towards Julian, along with her (Ezri's) newfound romantic attraction to him. Because she was newly joined and unprepared for it, in the moment she probably really believed she was referencing Jadzia's past feelings, she hadn't yet learned how to sort out which influences were Ezri and which were the past hosts. That turns that scene from false note to smooth foreshadowing.

Lous likes this.
  13. Voth commando1

So Jadzia would have fallen for him had Worf not shown up?

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's also something about Julian's more childlike interests that seems to appeal to Ezri, perhaps more so than it did Jadzia, who definitely carried that "old soul" vibe.

That might be why Ezri didn't sit as well with some.

15. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I didn't like the line. I also don't like any explanation I can come up with.

Who wants to be told they were Plan B? Even more frustrating than being Plan C or D!

That Jadzia was warming up to him romantically doesn't seem likely either. She spent three seasons telling him "just friends". If she didn't jump his bones by then, she wasn't going to.

I guess confusion due to being joined without preparation and people saying stupid things sometimes is the best of a bad lot of possible explanations.

16. Voth commando1

Funny thing is it would have been very hurtful to Julian in any case.

17. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

I think Julian would have gotten over any hurt pretty quickly

18. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I've interpreted it as metacommentary: that the writers considered putting Bashir and Dax together, probably at the extreme urging of studio execs.

19. Voth commando1

He was still moping in Tears of the prophets

And in the game with Quark he goes on a sad monologue wondering if he will ever find true happiness.

He's a pretty sensitive character.

20. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

Yes, but once he got the woman of his dreams (Ezri) I don't think he'd agonize about whether he was Jadzia's plan B C or D.