DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. House Stark

House Stark Ensign Red Shirt

Hello, very new Trek fan here :)

2. The Colonel

The Colonel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello everyone, I'm somewhat new to this forum. I'm a 20 something college student originally from Philadelphia, PA. I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember. My parents, who were original Trekies from way back in the 1960's and sat through TMP in theaters three times, introduced me to Trek when I was barely out of diapers. For most of my life I was almost exclusively a TNG fan and even though I watched much of DS9 during its original run, a lot of it went over my head as a kid. As an adult I re-watched DS9 in its entirety on Netflix and it immediately became my favorite. I fell in love with the complex characters and interconnected stories.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  3. Britta

Britta Lieutenant Red Shirt

Currently on Season 3 during my first watch of DS9 and I love it!

I never liked DS9 as child which is odd considering that I don't remember ever watching so much as one episode. Perhaps the setting of a space station rather than a starship seemed boring to my then tiny brain. :p

I got into DS9 in the past year or so, and have been slowly making my way through it. I love the darker, less utopian side of things combined with the classic utopian hope of the Star Trek franchise. It makes for a fuller dynamic.

Glad to be able to talk to like-minded people.

4. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi, I'm a long time contributor, and I've return to this board. I'm a huge fan of the first three seasons of DS9, and like to be apart of those season I thought were ground breaking television. It was definitely different from the classic Trek and TNG and it was meant to be; the show was to explore social issues without the fail safe of flying away or attempting to end it after one episode. The officers were raw and were accustomed to what was tried and true in Federation Space, but these explorers had to adjust very fast to the continuing issues going on in Bajoran Space and the mysteries of the Wormhole and the exploration of the Gamma Quadrant.

5. subxinu

subxinu Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello Trek BBS! I've been around several other forums and recently stumbled upon this one. I read through a few of the posts in this Niners welcome thread and I have to echo many of the sentiments. The characters are a ton of fun and, even when they're at odds, they just work. It's a hit in my book. ;)

6. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Also DS9 Fan. Currently I´m pissed, because my DS9 DVD´s (UK Import) are defective. I cannot watch episode till the end. Bad quality, indeed. And I paid a lot of money.... Nonetheless, they currently show DS9 in german TV, so I can rewatch the episodes.

7. TPT

TPT Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello. I just joined the Trek BBS forum. I am a total newbie here. Recently, I watched DS9 and really enjoyed it. DS9 is such a good show, and I regret that I didn't get to see it sooner.

8. Cromwell

Cromwell Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey, I'm not exactly new but back from a long hiatus (didn't stick around for more than a week or so the first time).

I loved Deep Space Nine, and the Dominion War Arc in particular! Garak was my favourite character growing up.

9. Dugada

Dugada Ensign Red Shirt

Hello, I'm new here. I love Deep Space Nine! Watched it for the first time last year (Don't know why I waited so long!). I particilarly like the Cardassians. :-)

10. CaptJaneway

CaptJaneway Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi, I just finished TNG, so I'm moving on to DS9. I'm only four episodes in, but I really like the focus on the Bajoran/Cardassian conflict. I love Kira. I had a bad opinion of Bajorans because I started with Voyager first (damn Seska), but I saw that was misplaced thanks to Ro (my favorite) and Sito in TNG, and now I'm glad I get to see more of that species here! I'm looking forward to getting further into the series!

11. SoullessMinion

SoullessMinion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello, everyone! I've loved DS9 since I was a kid and am glad to have found the TrekBBS. Not to slight TNG, which was the Trek that hooked me first, but I think DS9 had a consistent depth and sophistication in storytelling that the other series couldn't quite match. Looking forward to wading here!

*Judging from my username, you can probably guess that one (Just one! I could never pick a favorite DS9 episode. I think I'd have trouble narrowing down to a Top Ten list.) of my favorite episodes is In the Cards.

12. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm starting season one today! Super excited! I already know I'm going to love Quark because Armin Shimerman is awesome:)

13. Siskos_Baseball

Siskos_Baseball Cadet Newbie

Hi Guys,

New here hoping to get into some good discussions and hopefully some advice on some memorabillia I've come across (will post in the appropriate thread).

Have many a happy childhood memory of rushing home to catch the latest episode when the show was airing in the UK

14. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same goes, and In the Cards is on my list which also includes (but not limited to): Trials and Tribble-ations, The Way of the Warrior, In the Pale Moonlight, The Magnificent Ferengi and What You Leave Behind. Also, my list is in no particular order if preference.

15. eli_grey

eli_grey Cadet Newbie

Hi Niners! I am new to TrekBBS, but not to Star Trek. I have been watching show since high school. I started with TOS and have worked my way through. DS9 is by far my favorite! I just graduated from university with an honors in history because of my thesis on Star Trek. So I am a huge fan, to say the least!

16. Shada Dukal

Shada Dukal Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello Niners,

Never liked ST before I watched DS9. Finally, I felt represented and I found a species that was cut out for me. I am not a Trekkie, I am a Cardassian fan and I will always defend Cardassia. I also like Ferengi, Changelings, Vorta and Klingons.

17. Gul Evek

Gul Evek Cadet Newbie

I am a hardnosed Cardassian officer. I love my homeworld, my family, my poetry and a glass of Kanar now and then.

18. Shada Dukal

Shada Dukal Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, Gul Evek, I hope that you will help us to restore Cardassia to her former glory. We badly need poets, kanar lovers and experienced military personnel.

19. Granola Gwen

Granola Gwen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So hey, starting DS9 today and seeing how long I'll watch it.

20. LadyT'Anna

LadyT'Anna Commander Red Shirt

Many thanks for the warm welcome, everyone; it's good to be among like-minded souls. I am newish to Trek, not having discovered it until early 2013 or so via Netflix, but I find both DS9 and TOS captivating; their characterization and interplay are excellent.

anouk, it seems we may have a few things in common. Odo is my favorite DS9 character beyond question; the same goes for Spock in TOS. I went so far as to write a multichapter Spock piece as per signature. I thought of doing the same with Odo, except that the scriptwriters rather fell down on the job in the final season, IMO. (Re: Spock piece, describing sets taken from still photographs is a bit of a trick when one has a visual impairment.)

I find it interesting to compare Spock's personality with Odo's--any takers? Shall I post a new thread?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015