Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer, Jan 2014!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Madzilla, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Really starting to wish there was something like Shore Leave in the U.K....

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could beam people across the galaxy with the MIDAS array in Indistinguishable From Magic*, so maybe they're not THAT far apart.

*Admittedly a book on the "never happened" pile, but still...

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Are you talking about the data download that Voyager received in "Twisted" (after the ship got wrung out like a wet towel) as the distress call?

The producers seemed to set that up for something, but then, apparently didn't continue with it, which I always found was odd.

4. martina anna

martina anna Cadet Newbie

Exactly my idea - the episode "Twisted".

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, to me that's late season 1, not early season 2. But I realise that's an iffy area.

Regardless, as a late convert to the Beyer-verse, I await with bated knickers.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Normally I'd tend to agree that "Twisted" was a late first-season episode (because that's when it was shot), but since it's on Kes's second birthday, I think it works better timing-wise as an early second-season episode.

7. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Oooo, a Caeliar subplot. I've wanted a Caeliar follow-up for a while, now I get my wish. :)

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

at last! the Trek/Transformers crossover no-one but me has been waiting for!!!!!!

9. Madzilla

Madzilla Lieutenant Red Shirt

So did anyone get to Kirsten's panel or reading at Shore Leave? Dying for more info, and curious as to what was discussed at the Janeway panel!

10. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

What, no Panel Reading sources?

11. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I pre-ordered the book on amazon after reading the synopsis. Glad to see Janeway being recalled to Starfleet HQ, makes things a little more interesting.

12. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I am glad the Demeter is still around. I liked the multi-ship approach to the recent Voyager novels.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I must admit, when the Vesta Class Quirinal and Esquiline were trapped in the Omega Continuum by their saucer and engineering sections (I can't recall which was which), I thought they would perform emergency separations and the surviving sections unite to form a new ship.

The Voyager fleet is rather badly under strength now - will they be getting reinforcements ?

14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Isn't the Vesta class sort of like the Sovereign class where it can't seperate?

15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The Sovereign-class can separate. Presumably, most Starfleet designs are capable of it, even the Defiant-class.

I always wondered what name a combined ship would take? Especially in the case of the Prometheus-class. :rommie:

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Can you make a name out of Quirinal and Esquiline ?

17. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What the hell would the Defiant-class have to separate from? It's one discrete body, not different sections combined. Deliberately so, so as to make its various parts less vulnerable in battle.

Avatar does show that its nose-cone thingy is detachable as an emergency warhead, but that's not really the same thing.

Quinine. It's Kieran Duffy's ship.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well played !

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's from the DS9 Technical Manual. The warhead is the last-ditch weapon to use when the ship is going down in flames, basically. So yeah, it's a bit of a stretch to call it a separable section; it's kind of the opposite of the usual lifeboat role of a separable saucer.

20. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Yes, that is what I had in mind. However, I wasn't aware it was a warhead specifically - I thought it was a lifeboat and that it had been repurposed ad-hoc in Avatar.