"Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Is "Pilgrim of Eternity" good enough for your sense of continuity?

1. Yes, it felt enough like the real thing.

49 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. No, I can only accept what's on TV or film.

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. I don't know.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is another point I agree with. New Voyages/Phase II's To Serve All My Days fits this category, for instance; the way in which TSAMD didn't fit into canon was in fact the thing I enjoyed most about it.

2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Right. Our sense (chiefly Dorothy Fontana's sense, since she wrote our "To Serve All My Days" script) was that the dramatic way the story resolved was far superior to adhering to a preconceived understanding of characters' futures.

We should start a poll: Is "To Serve All My Days" good enough?

In fact, let's generate a similar poll for each and every fan effort as it gets released so people vote on whether it's "good enough."

3. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

As far as I am concerned, Star Trek: Continues and Star Trek: Phase II both take place in alternate universes. They are not a part of the official canon and they never will be (the studio would never allow it). I am a fan of Phase II and I enjoyed Star Trek: Continues first episode, but without Shatner and Nimoy on the bridge of the USS Enterprise, it just isn't official canon to me. If anything, these series should be able enjoy a canon of their own, much in the same way that the books and comics do. These series are good enough to stand on their own, while still honoring the original series.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There ya go. Thank you. This is a reasonable answer (and setting aside that we already know TPTB would never acknowledge it).

5. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really don't have an unofficial continuity in my head. Partly because official Trek was/is so often contradictory. But watching this felt like episode 80, if that tells ya anything. Now I gotta check out Phase II. Anyone recommend the best ep of theirs to start with?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
    tonk'peh likes this.
  6. GSchnitzer

You could watch them in order (see below). But if you start with our not-too-good early ones, you might become disinclined to watch later, better ones. If you start with the better ones, you'll become disappointed if you hope for the same quality when you watch earlier ones.

I think there's consensus that "World Enough and Time" with George Takei as Sulu has the broadest appeal--sort of like Star Trek IV with the whales. I guess I'd start with that one. And then the episode written by David ("The Trouble With Tribbles") Gerrold, that he originally wrote as a never-actually-got-made Next Generation episode: "Blood and Fire."

Episode 0 (Pilot Episode): "Come What May"
    Release: January 16, 2004
    Running Time: 39:45

Episode 1: "In Harm's Way"
    Release: October 8, 2004
    Running Time: 57:29

Vignette 1: "Center Seat"
    Release: March 17, 2006
    Running Time: 5:46

Episode 2: "To Serve All My Days"
    Release: November 23, 2006
    Running Time: 59:59

Episode 3:"World Enough and Time"
    Release: August 23, 2007
    Running Time: 64:26

Episode 4: "Blood and Fire, Part One"
    Release: December 20, 2008
    Running Time: 43:47

Episode 5: "Blood and Fire, Part Two"
    Release: November 20, 2009
    Running Time: 54:54

Episode 6: "Enemy: Starfleet!" (working title was "Enemy Starfleet")
    Release: April 16, 2011
    Running Time: 58:06

Vignette 2: "No Win Scenario"
    Release: October 8, 2011
    Running Time: 8:59

Episode 7: "The Child"
    Release: 4/2012
    Running Time: TBD

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've watched a few so far.

It's been awhile since I saw Starship Exeter Episode 1, but I recall thinking that while I could quibble about some things I was taken by their overall enthusiasm. I also quite liked the Captain Garrovick and Science Officer Harris characters. Starship Exeterhas an advantage in that by having original characters they can somewhat sidestep being compared directly with TOS' original cast. I thought Episode 2 was a better effort overall, but alas that episode isn't complete with the fourth act still missing.

Not long ago I watched The New Voyages' "In Harm's Way." I can only say that I thought it didn't really work for me. The cast weren't convincing enough for me and the story was just too...contrived. It struck me as something I might have seen in a Marvel or DC issue or fanfic.

Last night I watched "To Serve All My Days." I don't want to say too much for fear of letting out spoilers for those who haven't seen it. I thought it was much better overall than "In Harm's Way" with a fresher story. The cast performed better all around, but I still don't find them convincing enough, enough that I could imagine the original cast saying the lines. The post production f/x and scenes do tend to distract me because they look to have more in common with TOS-R rather than TOS. I thought the Federation Ambassador was good, but the stand out performances were from Chekov, both of them. It goes without saying Walter Koenig still has his acting chops portraying the older Chekov, but what also impressed me was the guy portraying the young Chekov---I thought he was great and very convincing.

I've also watched "Center Seat" and "No Win Scenario" which are really vignettes. They didn't work for me.

I've yet to see further TNV/PHII episodes, but I do plan on watching them. I'm particularly curious about "Blood and Fire" since I recently read David Gerrold's original novel which is set in his Star Wolf universe.

8. GSchnitzer

It was too good of an opportunity to pass up to cast Mary Linda Rappleye as Ambassador Rayna. After having her play Chekov's former hippie irlfriend Irina in "The Way to Eden," seeing her play against Walter Koenig again in "To Serve All My Days" was a lot of fun.

I think the visual effects Doug Drexler has done for us have evolved over time. What he wanted to do for his CGI Enterprise in our earliest episodes has changed over time; his style now seems more in keeping with old TOS. We gave him pretty free reign to do what he wanted. But I agree that his latest efforts on STC look great!

All our episodes have something worthwhile--but admittedly they usually come with some warts, too.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

OMG! That's where she's from! I kept trying to place her from somewhere yet it eluded me.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Just finished watching the two part "Blood and Fire." It quite closely follows the original novel. There are some changes, of course, by needing to fit within the Star Trek universe.

It's a good story, but there's no way it could have been told in the '60s, at least not with the open depiction of gay characters. But I don't know if that's really relevant to the overall story. It could have been told on TNG, but of course they chose not to do that.

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great! The Sulu one will be tonight's entertainment after a bike ride.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Uh, Sulu isn't the gay character in "Blood and Fire." In fact Sulu is definitely straight and also a father in the previous episode.

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Which novel?

I don't think plynch is implying that Sulu is one of the gay characters in "Blood and Fire", but merely letting us know that he's going to watch "World Enough and Time" tonight.

As for the question, which episode of Phase II to watch first: I would go with "To Serve All My Days" and "World Enough and Time", both feature solid scripts, good and great acting and neat production values. When I saw those for the first time, I was blown away by their quality and the dedication of those who make these kind of fan films.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about "The Child" which also works great. I especially liked the guest cast in this one, even if some of the plotting wasn't all that great.

14. GSchnitzer

David wrote "Blood and Fire" as a Next Generation episode in 1987. After the producers declined to make it, he took the story and reworked into the fourth novel of his "Star Wolf" book series in 2004 called Blood and Fire. After that, he reworked his original TNG script (along with Mr. Carlos Pedraza) into a script for New Voyages/Phase II, converting it into a Kirk-era story.

So after much trial and tribbleation, his story got produced. (David directed it for us, as well.)

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've watched about two thirds of "World Enough And Time," but then I was having a streaming glitch. I'll watch the rest a little later.

16. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm struggling to understand how someone who is such a fervent advocate of TOS and fan films hasn't watched all of the Phase II episodes. Blows my mind a bit.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm curious, Warped9. Why did Star Trek stop in 1991?

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I know lots of hardcore TOS fans who can't make it past one act of any fanfilm. Just because you like Star Trek doesn't mean you automatically like fan-made spinoffs.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's the period when I lost interest. I'm okay with the first three or four seasons of TNG, but after that...not so much.

Pretty much. I'm catching up on some of the fan films and I'm finding them okay, but missing in certain respects. But I do commend the dedication and enthusiasm behind them. "Pilgrim Of Eternity" is the first that has really impressed in most every respect.

20. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't say anything about liking them. I just don't understand why you wouldn't watch them as soon as they come out if you're a hardcore fan, that's all.