Si I finally saw Moulin Rouge!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

In the UK we call that 'being up itself'. It was the most 'up itself' movie I've ever watched part of before switching off in disgust.

I had an enema/colonoscopy procedure that I enjoyed more than Moulin Rouge (or Romeo & Juliet) - at least I kept watching the screen right through to the end !

I just don't think these films are for me...

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna lightly paraphrase Siskel's B&R review: "The film is so over-produiced.. every scene is done in such a way that the film does all of the thinking and emoting for us. Leads to an extravagant, often tasteless bore. Overstuffed. Well-produced but over-produced."

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It must be a DVD since that movie isn't out on Blu-Ray yet.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'll let you know in three week when I move and unpack, you're probably right.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I only know this because I searched on Amazon and Best Buy and also Googled it. I didn't mean to question your judgment or anything like that. ;)

6. Tom Hendricks

Don't worry, I'm not not even remotely sure. When I switched over to Blu-Ray I stopped buying things on DVD. Not sure where this release fell, BB or AB. However even if it fell After Blu, this may have been one of those I wanted to own badly enough to purchase on DVD. I haven't watched it in a year or so, it maybe the first thing I watch in the new house.

Now I just can't wait for the release of Josh Whedons Much Ado About Nothing, my favorite of all Shakespears comedies. I hear its great, really have to be something to top Branagh's version.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I remember when I first saw the movie I really liked the rapid fire editing. It gave the movie a very unique, energetic feel and I was very disappointed when the movie slowed down. I think editing, like everything else, always comes down to what kind of feeling you're trying to evoke. In the case of Moulin Rouge, it's frenetic impressionism was effective.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting topic.

For me, Moulin Rouge falls into the category of being a tremendously enjoyable movie... but one that I have absolutely no intention of rewatching (intentionally, I mean, I'll happily watch the odd five minutes here & there if I hop across it on TV). It's extremely stylised, which automatically polarise audiences, but I liked its style. You can put it the same "over-stylised" category as 300, Sin City, Pulp Fiction, Matrix, Hulk, or Batman Returns (moreso than Batman & Robin, I'd actually say). You'll tend make your mind up about whether you like these movies pretty quickly because they're all so in your face with their style choices.

I enjoyed the Moulin Rouge ride a lot, but it felt like a one-trick pony in that respect; I didn't find anything deeper to entice me to watch it again. Whereas some of the other stylised movies I mentioned above I do enjoy rewatching for reasons other than the style.

FWIW, just to run through his other movies, I loved the first 10 minutes of Romeo+Juliet; it showed real inventiveness in modernising the setting & props. But I thought the rest of the movie was a massive missed opportunity. And Strictly Ballroom is the polar opposite of what I enjoy in a movie. Haven't seen Australia but from what I've heard, I think I might like it. I'm not hopeful for The Great Gatsby but maybe I'll be surprised.

9. Tom Hendricks

If you can make it past the first 20 or so minutes, Australia is a pretty good movie. However the first 20 minutes is so tedious, and over rough you will want to give up on it. In fact if you did, I wouldn't blame you.

I'm very hopeful for The Great Gatsby. From what I have seen, while looking like classic Baz Luhrmann it does look toned down.