So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Finished reading THE GOLEM AND THE JINNI, which I thoroughly enjoyed, even as it pretty much devoured my Saturday.

2. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I recently read Usagi Yojimbo: Yokai. As a long-time fan of Usagi, I like the fast-paced stories and writing, and this particular stand-alone didn't disappoint.

I also finished reading a library copy of the Star Trek novelization; it didn't explain the plot holes. It did add some additional dialogue and inner-thoughts to some of the characters but the novel is adapting a thin storyline.

I am almost done with Firestarter, which I'm very much enjoying.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm Rereading A choice of Catastrophies.By Steve Molman and The Seventh Scroll by Wilbure Smith. I just finished reading the Tos novel The folded world I though it was an average novel.

4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started Star Wars Dark Times- Volume 1 last night. After reading Clone Wars stuff for two or three years this is very interesting.

5. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading the Cold Equations trilogy (99c! WOO!) and then onto the Typhon Pact. I hope to read "Rise of the Federation" soon.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Just started Fortune's Light by Michael Jan Friedman.

7. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have not read ST novels recently. Read "Twelfth Night" by Shakespeare and "A Doll House" (translated by Fjelde) by Henrik Ibsen. Did Bible reading with Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon. Read "Young Goodman Brown" by Nathaniel Hawthorne and listened to a radio program about "Black Sabbath" then watched "The Last Samurai" with Tom Cruise (directed by Edward Zwick). Still have not even read further in "Directive 51" by Barnes. Must read more Star Trek...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  8. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Started a few days ago on Vanguard Novel 1: Harbinger. About time I got into that series.

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Fiction: Star Trek: Troublesome Minds
    Non-Fiction: John Wayne: The Genuine Article

10. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    I just finished the Cold Equations trilogy, which I loved & hope to see a follow up to soon. Currently I am simultaneously rereading Christopher's Watching the Clock, which is one of my favorite Trek books in recent memory & The Shape of Things to Come by H.G. Wells.

11. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

just finished Rough Beasts Of Empire. Thoroughly enjoyed that one, although having not read any of the DS9 relaunch yet, the character development of Sisko seemed a bit odd (and whats up with Kira?)

I do like the way the writers are showing us Romulan politics and culture now, rather than Romulans just being cardboard-cutout-villains.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'll find out what happens to Kira in Plagues of night and Raise the Dawn novels by David George, They're terrific stories this September Revelations and dust will continue the story as a ds9/tng crossover series.It mentions Kira in the synopsis of the upcoming book.The Ds9 relaunch novels are some of my favorite trek novels.

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Finishin up KW Jeter's Bloodletter and starting Cybersong by S.N. Lewitt.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just started "Man of Steel" by Greg Cox.

15. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Psych: A Fatal Frame of Mind last night.

Today I finished Federation: The First 150 Years. I wish there was more new story to it, I felt like it focused a little too much on stuff we'd already seen on the tv shows and in the movies, especially the last chapter (2290-2311). I also think the period between ENT and TOS could have been fleshed out a little more. The stuff that is new is interesting, I just would have liked to see more of it. Even though I've only pointed out some things that disappointed me, for the most part I really enjoyed this book.

I'm now about to start Star Trek: The Folded World by Jeff Mariotte.

16. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I am reading "The Red: First Light", by Linda Nagata.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Justice League Dark: In the Dark, and wrote a review on Shelfari:
    My rating: 5/5
    After finish that I started The Hunger Games. I'm only a few pages in and I'm loving it already. I haven't read a whole book written in the present tense before, so that was a little weird at first, but once I got used to that I haven't had any other issues with it.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

finished rereading The Hobbit on the train yesterday - still don't see how they can legitimately get three fucking movies out of it - and haven't decided what's next.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

As I understand it, the first film in the two film plan was to end with the barrels and Thorin's arrival in Laketown, a good splitting point.

I suspect the second film in the reformatted trilogy will end with Smaug vanquished, Laketown destroyed, and Bilbo leaving Lonely Mountain with the Arkenstone. It's a downer moment, but it's also a good breaking point in terms of character and narrative. I don't see how you fill a third film with just the Battle of Five Armies, though, as the Necromancer business will need to be dealt with (chronologically) within the second film.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished up Children of the Storm. I didn't really care for the structure, but I ended up liking it after it was all over.